Forum Thread
Unreal Engine 3 or 4 Based Indie Game (Forums : Development Banter : Unreal Engine 3 or 4 Based Indie Game) Locked
Thread Options
Nov 22 2014 Anchor

Hey everyone,

I want to get back into the video game scene. I made many CoD series mods but now those games are legacy. There is barely any CoD1/UO servers left. I don't know the demand for single player CoD1/UO games, I had like three request for a single player mod in the past.

So I was thinking of making a single player FPS indie game. Id Tech 5 engine probably isn't getting open sourced soon. So I'd guess Unreal Engine 3 would be best since I like how Unreal Tournament 3 and RO2 performed graphically. Was thinking about Unreal Engine 4 but it's system requirements might be too high, would eliminate too many possible user of the indie game.

So how far off from scratch would I start? Would the engine come with stock textures, or just the SDK (tools)?. Been trying to web search that answer but keep getting indie planning related advice.

Nov 22 2014 Anchor

Almost all SDKs come along with some assets to showcase a sample end product. UDK comes with ut dm_deck16, a very small singleplayer-sample room, the scythe buggy vehicle, rocket launcer, shock rifle. As far as I remember.

Nov 22 2014 Anchor

The SDK is pretty good and solid and if you like how it feels, you can just upgrade to UE4 for 20£.

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.