Forum Thread
Presidential Debate #1 (Foreign) (Forums : Cosmos : Presidential Debate #1 (Foreign)) Locked
Thread Options
San-J
San-J ascetic aesthetic
Oct 1 2004 Anchor

Well, Jim Lehrer moderated the first Presidential Debate, on foreign issues last night. I eagerly watched the entire discussion, and was impressed by both parties. I will remain nonpartisan here, as sharing my rather radical political views has gotten me into trouble at other forums. Instead, I have chosen to briefly summarize my opinions on how both Bush and Kerry performed while attempting to remain unbiased, as well as to open a thread where everyone else can share their opinions.

This is what I noticed:
Sen. John F. Kerry:

• Remained more composed.
  • Played the offensive role for the majority of the debate.
  • Lacked the motivational quality of Bush.
  • Might have been difficult to understand/comprehend for some.

• President George W. Bush:

• Spoke in simpler language, and seemed more down-to-earth.
  • Played the defensive role for the majority of the debate.
  • Seemed rather flustered and uncomposed at times.

• Again, I was very impressed by both parties, especially in their concluding speaches. I really did not expect that Kerry would finally play an offensive role, but I was also impressed that Bush was able to pull himself together, in time for his closing speach.

~Sangye

--

Epi7aph
    Epi7aph I listen to albums. (Formally StormÇrøw)
    Oct 1 2004 Anchor

I wasnt able to watch the Debate who won?

--

ModDB Fucking Oldtimer and (ex) Crow
    Who changed my signature!
    Playlist
    User Posted Image

San-J
    San-J ascetic aesthetic
    Oct 1 2004 Anchor

Well, it depends who you ask. Fox obviously reported that Bush did, but CNN, CBS, PBS, etc. all agreed that Kerry won.

--

Epi7aph
    Oct 1 2004 Anchor

lol so we are still awaiting the official results?

--

Playlist
    User Posted Image

San-J
    San-J ascetic aesthetic
    Oct 1 2004 Anchor

I didn't know that there are official results, but this is the first time that I've been really monitoring the debates, and even the election for that matter, so I could be wrong.

--

Epi7aph
    Oct 1 2004 Anchor

most debates have results :S, never mind them

--

Playlist
    User Posted Image

San-J
    San-J ascetic aesthetic
    Oct 1 2004 Anchor

Well, I know that there are different results from each network that cover the debates, but I was unaware that there is one universally accepted verdict.

Learn something new every day, I guess.

--

Oct 1 2004 Anchor

Kerry crushed Bush. If you weren't aware of that, then you weren't watching the debate. Bush was caught off-guard many times for Kerry's clearness with his answers.

Basically, Bush got creamed :P

--

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster."
    - Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146

San-J
    San-J ascetic aesthetic
    Oct 1 2004 Anchor

Thanks for saying that for, karuto. I guess I succeeded in hiding my political views :)

--

Oct 1 2004 Anchor

I meant 'you' in a more general way. lol. I wasn't pointing you out or anything ;)

--

San-J
    San-J ascetic aesthetic
    Oct 1 2004 Anchor

Oh, ok. Gotcha. I see how it is. You weren't pointing me out or anything. Thats cool. *Sniffle Sniffle* :-P

--

Oct 1 2004 Anchor

So Kerry is looking to be USA's new Prime Minister?

--

User Posted Image

BlueWolf72
    BlueWolf72 Mod Till Ya Die
    Oct 1 2004 Anchor

I say bush won. My favorite part is:

He voted for the war and today he says Im the one who made the wrong decision to get votes! Bush put his foot up kerrys ass/mouth on that one and kerry never replied back.

--

Desura Contests Live!
    Twitter With Me?<!--Session data-->

<!-- Top iFrame -->

<!-- Bottom iFrame -->

Oct 1 2004 Anchor

Ha, Bush won. What a fluke.... Every single poll shown has been Kerry ahead by at least 10% on the decision of who won. Only Fox News said he won, and that's because they're the most conversative program on television.

Bush was blubbering all over himself the entire time, and his expressions when Kerry was talking was just funny to watch. He didn't keep his composure, and instead could only stand back and watch Kerry dominate. Plain and simple.

--

arghvark
    arghvark (Cult) Member
    Oct 1 2004 Anchor

Yeah, kerry won that,

Bush may have got a few good punches in, but he got knocked out at the end.

--

Karuto wrote: Spammers? Excuse me, but I always contribute to the conversation and hardly ever go off-topic. Not to mention, I contribute more to my post than just a plain one-liner. I may post a lot, but I'm not a spammer along the terms you guys set, but whatever...

Irony at its finest.
    User Posted Image

Pengus
    Pengus Big-Sexy-BiRacial-Man
    Oct 1 2004 Anchor

Yeah bush had too many silencese bumbles or "stupid" replies were he just made fun of or laughed at kerry.

Kerry pretty much did win sice all the polls shifted toward him the next day.

--

Learn C++HERE

User Posted Image

If you hate pop-ups email me for the C++ tutorial files.

Vangor
    Vangor Depravity Inclined Egotistical Savior
    Oct 2 2004 Anchor

I like how media tends to have various appeals at random times yet stay with a singular notion and ever fully follow through. That is, almost every news channel has been said to be too touch on Kerry except for Fox, while Fox are of course the "in the pocket" reporting we've come to know and love, while other media tends to be "anti-in the main pocket" that we are told is too biased against the sources that tended towards creating the biased in the first place.

Screw either of them, Bush isn't an idiot, but he thinks too lowly of everyone and too highly of himself, while Kerry lacks charisma, he takes few initiatives and thinks little through before saying it.

Bush can be a moron at times but, my guess is he merely doesn't care, he will do what he wants to do, and if that includes referring to the "nation" of Africa, or learning our children in school, then he really couldn't care. Plus, he knows who actually votes, that is to say, he can word it well enough that people may not know what is going on but it sure sounds swell!

Kerry on the other hand, lacks any true characteristic except the lack of character, he apparently has a horrible campaign manager as he has played up this entire war idea and recieved incredible amounts of flak for it, while the flip-flopping he's done could've been pulled around as saying that he doesn't simply get an idea and follow it if he realizes it is a bad idea, like attacking Iraq when we get reports that the reasons we plan to go to war are probably false. Of course, he dug himself a hole a month or so ago saying that he would've gone to war knowing what we know now, just as Bush, and he along with Bush used "We would've gone to war", but no, "We" wouldn't have, because "We" went on the ideas that "they" falsified.

Kerry is going to win provided America is not dumb enough to fall for republic end tricks, but, then again, this is America. They seem to cheer at Bush's new campaign plans, which he could already be implementing, which he should already be implementing...and are misinterpreting Bush's approval rating on the war, that is, no one necessarily says it is a bad thing, we brought democracy to a tyrranical dictatorship and knocked out one of the world's worst men, but, I doubt there are few besides the absolute morons that agree it was how or what we needed to do as such.

Vote for me when I run at the age of 26, I'll solve half of our nation's problems the first week I'm in office, then solve half of the world's the second week, and don't you doubt it.

Paid for by the Popular People's Front, I'm Zach Laschober, and I approve this message...

Oct 2 2004 Anchor

I'd personally have to say Bush won that one. They both made themselves look like idiots here and there, but I didn't like Kerry's constant talk of his plan that is better than Bush's, but he never really specifies what that plan is. He also seems to never have a solid stand on an issue. Such as how he voted for war, but now he doesn't want it.

--

User Posted Image
    I LOVE You
    FUH-Q

BlueWolf72
    BlueWolf72 Mod Till Ya Die
    Oct 2 2004 Anchor

Well Kerry isnt what I want so I go with bush

--

Desura Contests Live!
    Twitter With Me?<!--Session data-->

<!-- Top iFrame -->

<!-- Bottom iFrame -->

Oct 2 2004 Anchor

My friend is a deep republican who has debates every day on how Bush is better than Kerry and Nader and all that jazz, but he still thought Kerry won the debate. Mostly because, Bush kept repeating himself over and over, and didn't explain how Iraq was a central point of the war on terror. Osama bin Laden in Afghanistan is our central focus, because he helped commit the acts on September 11th. We shouldn't be letting him get away with that.

Bush kept repeating the same thing over and over and over, and wasn't well organized as Kerry was, and that's a fact. John Kerry came out there, explained his views clearly, and helped draw people in to show them exactly what his stances are on the war on terror and the plans for America's future. He dominated that night, especially since he wasn't stumbling over his words, and didn't repeat himself constantly. His thought process was clear, concise, focused, accurate, and detailed where every question he got, he answered back with fortitude.

He definitely won the debate, whether you like it or not. I'll just sit back and watch Kerry's approval ratings shoot up.

--

Oct 2 2004 Anchor

Sorry for the double post, but you guys gotta check this out:

Dailyrecycler.com

--

Oct 3 2004 Anchor

heh.. pretty funny. i like how it supports both sides.

Reply to thread
    click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.