Forum Thread
Modeling, texture, compile gun for half life 2 mods (help me please) (Forums : 3D Modeling & Animating : Modeling, texture, compile gun for half life 2 mods (help me please)) Locked
Thread Options
Oct 5 2008 Anchor

Hi ahmm I'm new here as you guys can see and I'm trying to learn that 3 things in the topic name xD
I made a very simple glock 17 in 3ds max, made a very simple texture and an animation. The problem is that i just cant understand the tutorials that i found about "creating a gun for half life 2" i cant understand what i have to do after i created the model in 3ds max 9, i tried the Importing Static Props Into Half-Life 2 tutorial but this is not just a prop its a gun so i really need help about this, i wanna see my weapon in the game see how it works and how to compile it with .net 2008.

This sound kinda crazy, i know but I finished my glock 17 and now i have no idea how to put it on the game....

If somebody could please try to teach how to do these things it woul be awesome.
Thanks.

could anybody tell me how to export a gun to half life 2? please help me.

Henley
Henley the sun never sets on the eternally cool
Oct 5 2008 Anchor

Ok you have said that you dont understand the tutorials. Why dont you understand them? The idea behind these things is to tell you how to do what it is you need to do... Take some time and try it again if anything what we tell you will be the exact same thing.

--

Oct 6 2008 Anchor

Thanks for answering man. Here is the thing: i couldn't understand how to put my gun in the game, i understood that i need to do the animations and export them from 3dx max 9 for .smd files with the smd exporter. Ok but i couldn't understand the process of compiling it.... especially the especially the textures part... i dowloaded the videos from the turial Creating a Weapon For Source and i didnt watched all of them but I will, and i want to know if the compiling process is the same for cs:s and half life 2 modifications.

Henley
Oct 6 2008 Anchor

jaumzors wrote: Thanks for answering man. Here is the thing: i couldn't understand how to put my gun in the game, i understood that i need to do the animations and export them from 3dx max 9 for .smd files with the smd exporter. Ok but i couldn't understand the process of compiling it.... especially the especially the textures part... i dowloaded the videos from the turial Creating a Weapon For Source and i didnt watched all of them but I will, and i want to know if the compiling process is the same for cs:s and half life 2 modifications.

the process is similar but different, ie different bone structures different cords etc. As far as getting the textures too work that is easy Moddb.com everything is dependent on everything else. If your still unsure of everything i would try un-packing a weapon model and taking a look at the QC file.

--

Oct 6 2008 Anchor

different how? like for half life 2 you need to use .net to compile right? cause i saw this tutorial about adding a new weapon to half life 2 mine didn't work cause i have .net 2008 but he just copyed the pistol and i want to add an all new weapon and its this that i cant find a tutorial about...

Henley
Oct 6 2008 Anchor

jaumzors wrote: different how? like for half life 2 you need to use .net to compile right? cause i saw this tutorial about adding a new weapon to half life 2 mine didn't work cause i have .net 2008 but he just copyed the pistol and i want to add an all new weapon and its this that i cant find a tutorial about...

its different for css and hl2 the programs are the same but the locations of weapons on the characters are different because they use different rigging.

--

Oct 6 2008 Anchor

oh i see, and by rigging you mean what? like the bone structure or what?

Henley
Oct 7 2008 Anchor

jaumzors wrote: oh i see, and by rigging you mean what? like the bone structure or what?

yes thats what it is called

--

Oct 7 2008 Anchor

oh.. K I finished an beretta and now i just need to unwrap it and make a texture and them im good to animate and try to compile it for counter strike source but i really want to make them for half life 2 modifications...

Henley
Oct 7 2008 Anchor

well the rigging is different so its easy if you know what needs to be changed in the QC file. For example if you give hl2 rigs css weapons it will appear in the players crotch. This is because the 0,0,0 cords which css weapons use for player/model location on a hl2 is in the middle of the player model.

--

Oct 7 2008 Anchor

ohhh i see, i got the reference files for half life 2. So i can make the animations using this hands (half life 2 hands)? And them export each of them and then i do what?

Henley
Oct 7 2008 Anchor

jaumzors wrote: ohhh i see, i got the reference files for half life 2. So i can make the animations using this hands (half life 2 hands)? And them export each of them and then i do what?

you need to add them to the model of the weapon, so when the player picks up the gun it has a model set to run off.

--

Oct 7 2008 Anchor

k but that is the part that i have no idea how to do... cause i dont know how to compile it with .net 2008...

Henley
Oct 8 2008 Anchor

jaumzors wrote: k but that is the part that i have no idea how to do... cause i dont know how to compile it with .net 2008...

valve developer wiki.

--

Oct 8 2008 Anchor

xD thx

Oct 9 2008 Anchor

just like 2 add my 2 cents! Mapping. texturing ,skinning, modeling.rigging or otherwise! Best advice I can give you, hone your skills!
Most people frown upon this, ask someone!
Most people are really helpful and are willing to explain almost
anything, so don't be afraid to ask. Asking questions is a sign of Intelligence! There are a lot of good tutorials
out there, and plenty of ebooks and manuals floating around!
Don't expect super results over night! Expect results overtime! I am always blown away by today's generation! You guys expect a lot for nothing! hehehehehehe Take it easy. refine your modeling skills, then sit down, and see how close you can make metal texture, worn,shiny,scuffed,rusted,chipped,scratched,faded etc. Then merge the two together! Modeling and Mapping

........Practice doesnt make perfect, but it does help!

Edited by: Medyl

Oct 9 2008 Anchor

xD thx dude but i just wanna know the basic of these things, i dont like to create textures =P but i wanna know how to compile the models that i make and see them in action. and im 18 so i need to choose a career hehe. Im following a very good tutorial i made a beretta a simple texture and know i start to animate it for cs:s but i want to make them for half life 2 so i need a tutorial but i cant find any.... if you could show me one that would be great. Thanks for the help ==b

and uhh... do you guys know how to import smd to 3ds max 2008 or 2009?

sorry i already found out how. i used a script that i found in fpsbanana xD it work ^^

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.