Forum Thread
Mod idea for Freespace 2 (Forums : Ideas & Concepts : Mod idea for Freespace 2) Locked
Thread Options
Nov 1 2003 Anchor

I really need some help to get this bird off the ground!
Wait! Come back! Don't leave yet! This is good! At least I think so :D
Sorry if this is the wrong forum! This is the basic beginning of the story. I'd post the rest, but it's too long (8 pages), soooo....reply here and I'll just send it to you, I guess.
Also, if you want to see some of the ships that are going to be included, go to www.freewebs.com/unknown_target/3dmodels.htm for a 3D Viewer version and screenshots of two of the ships, or here for screenshots of a third (also available on the web page in viewer format): (add a space after the .jpg, for it to work)

Geocities.com

Ok, if any of you have ever played Freespace 2 (www.3dap.com/hlp), you probably remember it as one of the best, if not the best space combat game ever made. Lots of campaigns are being made for it, that continue it's storyline, past it's ending. Therefore, that end of the spectrum is already quite crowded with mods/campaigns.

So, therefore, I thought of this idea to create something completely new, completely unrelated to Freespace 2, but using the (now-upgraded to modern standards) Freespace 2 engine.

So, it takes place 200 years in the future. After the discovery of Hyperspace one hundred years from now, humanity spread like wildfire throughout space, conquering, defeating, chiding, and cheating each other, to be the first to establish a galactic empire. Fifty years later, the Earth still has many, if not most, of the countries intact. However, in space, it is a much different story. Three, and only three, countries have the power and the territory to be called Space Powers. These countries are China, the United States, and the European Union. (The UN is also still intact, as well, however, it doesn't have it's own territory). The three coexist much as they do today, in a pretty easy peace.

So, another fifty years goes by. The US makes rapid advancements in technology, using new materials gained by exploring the vast reaches of space, bounding in leaps and bounds in front of the other two countries. However, the EU is closing in on them, as they examine, find, and even downright steal other technologies and materials.
China is on the trailing end of the pack, still using technology circa 50-70 years old, and they don't show any signs of progress.
The US launches a highly-advanced capital ship, the Pontomac using experimental technology. The ship is assigned to research the crab nebulae, however, after about 5 weeks of exploration, it is lost to a violent nebulaic (is that a word?) storm.
An exploration is launched, however, no trace is found. The ship is assumed to have been vaporized, and the case is closed.
A year passes. More technological progress is made within the EU and the US. China, however, shows no signs of any progress. But it is easy to tell that they're hiding something.
Another year passes, and China suddenly bursts onto the scene with some very big news: for the past two years, they have been building the most advanced starship ever constructed. The statistics are amazing, 5 miles long, 2 wide, 20,000 crew members, a fully-equipped science station, 6 heavy ion beams, and numerous smaller turrets. China says that construction is expected to be completed within another year, which is quite fast for a ship of it's size. However, China refuses to say where the ship is being constructed, until the final moment, when the ship is finally undocked from port, amongst much fanfare.
The US and the EU are obviously perplexed by this apparant quantum leap in technology. However, the publicly released blueprints show nothing out of the ordinary.
When the EU and the US start to press, China announces that it will sell the techonology to anyone who wants it. This effectively shuts the EU up, as they get a great source of top-of-the-line equipment, for bargain bin prices.

However, the US refuses. They go back to examining the documents. Something seems strange....some of the subsystems have been moved, altered, or even removed. They begin to conduct further investigations.......

Please tell me if you're interested in helping! I REALLY want to get this off the ground! Reply here, PM me, IM at (MSN: unkown_target@yahoo.com, AIM: gbhunknowntarget), or e-mail at unknown_target01@yahoo.com.
I need tablers, modlers (not too much right now, they're for later), mission makers, and a CG artist and texturer (got the models already done), for a demo trailer that I want to release, to pull up interest.

- Edited By UnknownTarget On Sat 1st, Nov 2003 @ 1:00:14pm

leilei
leilei The person who doesn't like anything
Nov 1 2003 Anchor

I do know Freespace2 is moddable, I haven't been arsed to get the icon/screenshots/boxart/info of it. Want to help me add FS2 to modDB?

--

<  insert subject games here  >

Nov 1 2003 Anchor

Sure!

- Edited By UnknownTarget On Sat 1st, Nov 2003 @ 1:01:17pm

aea
aea modDB Hacker
Nov 1 2003 Anchor

I like the idea, I say go for it :)

leilei
Nov 1 2003 Anchor

Moddb.com

making progress :)

--

Nov 1 2003 Anchor

oooo, goody-goody! :) Make sure to post some shots of the new Source Code Project-upgraded version of Freespace 2 ;)

I'll register my mod as soon as I think of a name! :D

leilei
Nov 1 2003 Anchor

UnknownTarget wrote: oooo, goody-goody! :) Make sure to post some shots of the new Source Code Project-upgraded version of Freespace 2 ;)

O_o

Where do I find that? I WANT THAT :D

--

Nov 1 2003 Anchor

Here ya go ;)

Dynamic4.gamespy.com

Dynamic4.gamespy.com (skip to the later pages)

And here's 15 good ones:

Dynamic4.gamespy.com

leilei
Nov 1 2003 Anchor

--

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.