Forum Thread
Metal gear solid 4 beuty and the beast (reasons why they are named what they are) (Forums : Console Gaming : Metal gear solid 4 beuty and the beast (reasons why they are named what they are)) Locked
Thread Options 1 2
Jan 13 2009 Anchor

I figured out that the "bb"s are based on boss on mgs 1 at shadow moses
vulcan raven= raging raven i think raven had a tank (like the grenade laucher) or could fly or something like that (i never played mgs1 i just learned this from the database archive thing that you can get)

decoy octopus= laughing octopus decoy is a master of disguise and laughing octopus has octocamo
Sniper Wolf= crying wolf they were both snipers
Physco mantis= screaming mantis both had mental powers (physco possesed screaming mantis)
if any one wants to tell me another go ahead

Jan 13 2009 Anchor

Do you think that's why they showed flashbacks to all the characters you mentioned after you beat each boss? lol, this is common sense here.

--

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster."
- Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146

JoeX111
JoeX111 Tilting at windmills
Jan 13 2009 Anchor

Dear god I can't think of a topic I could possibly care about less.

Here, I'm sure this will get you started.

Jan 13 2009 Anchor

I can put MGS4 in a nutshell.

Your the character from the 1st game, with a character from the 2nd game helping you, with a bad guy against you from the 1st and 2nd, in a society created by a person in the 3rd, with the help of a guns dealer from the 2nd and 4th who fought along-side your friend from the 2nd. Oh. And the person who started the whole chain of events was an american spy who was secretly a soviet spy who was secretly still an american spy who secretly helps the 3rd main character who then wages war which you then fight in the original, and his legend is further followed by his three son clones, two of which follow tradition and take up fighting what was created in the 3rd, both of which you bring down in the 1st, 2nd, and 4th, only to find out you've helped them all along.

To be honest, I like Hideo Kojima's storylines. You'll never guess them right from the beginning.
As I recall, he always wanted to be a movie director.

Jan 13 2009 Anchor

hell of a nutshell

also i only remeber flash backs for screaming mantis

Jan 13 2009 Anchor

The entire game had many many flashbacks.

You could find sniper wolf's flashbacks by walking around the area you fought her. The same area you fight crying wolf.
I don't remember every spot in-game... Thats all I can think of at the moment.

But theres much inspiration in Hideo's work.

I'm going to fuzzy memory here, but I remember Hideo Kojima explaining his inspiration for having 4 'super villian bosses' with unique characteristics as from other shows.
If I remember correctly, it was inspired from the power rangers. That old TV show with the colorful ninja kind of people. This is also why bosses explode in the 3rd one when they are killed.
In the power rangers show, there is always a 'big' boss behind all the other bosses. In every episode, the main characters would be attacked and their mission delayed because of a boss that serves the big boss.
Going into more detail, Hideo is a James Bond fan. This is why the main character does missions solo. The 3rd game, Snake Eater, was heavily James Bond influenced. Theme music, plot, ect.
He even went as far as adding James Bond's pistol: The PPK (Fairly sure this was it) in the 4th game.

Lastly, Hideo is very anime inspired. Villians (Such as Vamp) are super-human, and move like what you'd see in an anime.
The big robots, metal gear Rex, Ray, all of them have an apparant Anime inspiration.
Though, unlike most anime-style games, this one is specifically done in a very realistic and much more grim tone.
I think Hideo directly reflects this by showing Hal emmerich as being a heavy anime fan. Who has Rex action figures.

Whew. I'm done. Thought you might know that. :D

Jan 14 2009 Anchor

Someone wrote: As I recall, he always wanted to be a movie director.

Well he should've done film because his gameplay this time around sucked. The MGO guys actually salvaged what was there IMO.. but then Konami puts Micro-Payments on Every bloody function- so it's dead.

I hated MGS4 after the second play- honestly it was great the first time.. but after that it plays like a rental film you've watched over and over. By then Multiplayer was the only way to go.

Edited by: formerlyknownasMrCP

Jan 14 2009 Anchor

Weird. I found MGO less tasteful than the single player. Though honestly, once you beat the single player, your basically done with it. I got that same impression.

The few flaws I found with MGO were those magazines. I found it painful to find most of the map hot spots littered with those things.
The most fun though was playing as snake, and really messing up a team deathmatch game.

Heh...good times.

RandomusIdiotus
RandomusIdiotus I think I have too much blood in my caffeine system...
Jan 14 2009 Anchor

I like MGS4, I am on my fifth or sixth playthrough now :D I will eventually get all the emblems and the excellent Snake Eater track :D

--

User Posted Image

Jan 14 2009 Anchor

oh yeah i did remeber wolfs flash back but not octopus and ravens

and kee715 are we the only people who like metal gear solid?

RandomusIdiotus
Jan 14 2009 Anchor

Well I know that there are seven people other than me in the Metal Gear Solid Fans group... And I forget about flashbacks with the B&B Corps, I keep skipping the cutscenes because I saw them already, but now I am doing a playthrough to get the Chicken Emblem so I will be watching the cutscenes to get the thiry-five hours of gameplay time.

--

User Posted Image

Jan 14 2009 Anchor

I like the series, but I especially like the storyline and thought thats been put into it.
The gameplay is nice too.

RandomusIdiotus
Jan 14 2009 Anchor

Ditto, but I also like how they got such great graphics on the consoles that they were usually on, MGS2 and MGS3 had the best graphics on the PS2 as far as I have seen, and MGS1 did look good considering that it was a PS1 game... I love games for more than graphics, but good/great graphics in a good/great game is like Gravy on Mashed Potatoes. *Begins wanting Mashed Potatoes with sides of Gravy and MGS*

Edited by: RandomusIdiotus

Jan 14 2009 Anchor

Long as you don't get into a console graphics war rant. -_-

RandomusIdiotus
Jan 15 2009 Anchor

I am not the type for fanboy arguments.

--

User Posted Image

Jan 15 2009 Anchor

i also love the story line, it's probally the best one ever half life comes in second place

RandomusIdiotus
Jan 17 2009 Anchor

Yeah, HL's was great as well, and yeah I forgot to say that the B&B Corps are named after FOXHOUND members during Shadow Moses, same for the five PMCs. Like you said:
Vulcan Raven
Psycho Mantis
Sniper Wolf
Decoy Octopus
I do not remember the name of the other PMC (There are five), but I am certain that it was either Ocelot or Snake... And if there WERE another Beauty it would be either Ocelot or Snake, but that could get confusing because you have *SPOILERS* former Liquid Snake and former Revolver Ocelot combined to make the new villan...

Edited by: RandomusIdiotus

Jan 17 2009 Anchor

Actually (More spoilers) if you listened pretty well in MGS4, Liquid dies on shadows moses. The only reason Ocelot acts like that is well, because hes crazy.

RandomusIdiotus
Jan 17 2009 Anchor

I know, but throughout the game he is referred to as Liquid Ocelot...

--

User Posted Image

JoeX111
Jan 19 2009 Anchor

Its all a ruse to trick the Patriots.

Jan 19 2009 Anchor

All of the storyline, your involved in a ruse. -_-

Jan 20 2009 Anchor

kee715 i think you meant that the bbs are named after the "son of big boss" members also why didn't they make raiden (idk if i spelled it right) so bad ass in mgs2

but i was cracking up when i saw he had high heels and long finger nails

Jan 20 2009 Anchor

Raiden was an experiement in MGS2.

Hideo wanted a new star for the series. If even for one title. I don't see someone sitting around and saying "Hey, lets make the main character a total dork."
Chances are, they intended him to be more of a rookie and took it too far.

Hey it happens. Least he shaped up in time for MGS4.

JoeX111
Jan 20 2009 Anchor

Raiden is a commentary on videogamers and their desire to be like the bad ass characters (like Snake) that they play.

frosty-theaussie
frosty-theaussie Sonny Jim
Jan 21 2009 Anchor

Ninjadave wrote: Raiden was an experiement in MGS2.

Hideo wanted a new star for the series. If even for one title. I don't see someone sitting around and saying "Hey, lets make the main character a total dork."
Chances are, they intended him to be more of a rookie and took it too far.

Hey it happens. Least he shaped up in time for MGS4.

hideo wanted to impress all the little schoolgirls.

--

User Posted Image

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.