Forum Thread
MechAssault 2: Lone Wolf (Xbox) (Forums : General Banter : MechAssault 2: Lone Wolf (Xbox)) Locked
Thread Options
Sticky I'm pretty awesome.
Jan 4 2005 Anchor

The first MechAssault came out in 2001, and ushered in the age of the fabled lands of Xbox Live (which I have never participated in, nor ever will :P). The original MechAssault had nice graphics, and sprawling urban fights which you could use to your advantage. Ergo: The Uziel is there, right next to a building that is heavily damaged. Thusly you'll charge up your PPC, and blow that building to hell, which in turn will crush the enemy mech, and give you a nice nuclear core explosion to witness.

Now that I'm done remniscing, lets cut to the chase. MechAssault 2 is a no holds barred war against your foes.
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
THERE ARE SPOILERS IN THE STORY SECTION. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW ANY STORY, SKIP TO GRAPHICS, AND CONTINUE ON.

STORY: The data core recovered on Helios is used and a nifty little gadget called "Battle Armor" is formulated. Remember those annoying little fuckers in armor during the first MechAssault? Yeah. You're one of those. But you have cool stuff that they didn't. The first thing is the ability to blow shit up mercilessly. The battle armor comes equipped with a pulse laser (default is green. not very powerful, but you can fire quickly almost indefinitely) and a mortar launcher (tough to aim, but does shitloads of damage). In my opinion, the best feature by far is NeuroHacking. Kind of a "Simon Says" deal. Push the buttons it tells you to. But, if you fuck up too much and take too much time, you're blasted off. Then you need to jumpjet back up and push the buttons again. It also uses shoulder triggers, so keep on your toes.

You are squared off against the WOB once again. Yes, they are still as stupid, no, the bosses are hard as hell to kill, unlike the last one. The hardest boss is the last one, not because it's hard to kill, but because those Word Of Blake bastards combined five cores and made a bigass thing of hell. I'll leave the story at that. You'll enjoy it more when you discover the twists.
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
GRAPHICS: Wow. The cinematcs are just amazing. On par with Halo 2, but without weird texture failures. Ingame the graphics are just as good. Rockets fire leaving a nice trail of thick, black smoke, pulse lasers light up the ground beneath them, helicopters catch fire, fall, and if they're lucky, bounce, before exploding. Your mech's core starts shining inbetween armor plates, the whole works. (Yes, the particle effects, such as splashing water and dirt rule too.)

SOUND/VOICES: One of the best aspects of the game. Major Natalia and Lieutenant Foster sound good, as well that that <<deleted due to story spoiler>> Alera. Personally, I think the guy who does Master Chief on Halo would have made a great Mechwarrior, the main character. What a surprise.
The machine guns sound like machine guns, the lasers give a nice hum, (and subsequent sizzle as they hit you) and rockets give a nice gaseous WHOOOOOOOOOSH as they fly away from the pod.

GAMEPLAY: The gameplay is good, and the controls are good too. The only trouble I had was the brief confusion between 'Y' button (due to other games I was playing) and the 'L' trigger. Otherwise, the controls are great, the game forces you to think, instead of just stand there and take your lumps like you could in the first one. The weapons are also more balanced. So easy, you could drive a tank backwards (which I did. The tank set up is easy to manage, but looks weird as hell.).

OVERALL: 9.2

+ Great Graphics
+ Great Gameplay
+ Dual Gauss Rifles
+ "Alpha Strike Ability"
- After effects of "Alpha Strike Ability"
+ Sweet sounds
- Not sweet music. Papa Roach is okay, but edited KoRn? Nah. Jam to "KoRn Greatest Hits Vol. 1" instead.
+ Switchable suits/mechs
- The last boss. Uses weapons that are WAY overpowered.
+ You can play a few modes of multiplayer by yourself
- You can't play with bot mechs.

I realize there are things in the +/- thing covers some stuff I didn't talk about. Trust me. It'll make sense soon enough.

Also, if you've already played this, don't post spoilers. I will see to it they are removed.

ImTheDarkcyde
ImTheDarkcyde ¯\(º_o)/¯
Jan 4 2005 Anchor

you cannot say the last boss is too hard, thats stupid.
the last boss is SUPPOSED to be hard :-P

anyway, this game is next on my "must buy list"

Wilhelm_III
Wilhelm_III Who the hell do I think I am?
Jan 4 2005 Anchor

Same here about the list, also, this should be in console gaming disscussion *me moves

Oh, wait, I am not a mod :(

Jan 5 2005 Anchor

ImTheDarkcyde wrote: you cannot say the last boss is too hard, thats stupid.
the last boss is SUPPOSED to be hard :-P

anyway, this game is next on my "must buy list"

The last boss is overpowered in accordnance to the vehicle/mech/suit you are in. I don't wanna spoil it.

ImTheDarkcyde
ImTheDarkcyde ¯\(º_o)/¯
Jan 5 2005 Anchor

someone hasnt tried metroid prime.......

Jan 6 2005 Anchor

Metroid Prime is teh sux0rz.

Gamecube bites hot, nasty ass! ;(

Jan 6 2005 Anchor

wtf. MechAssault? This game was called MechWarrior but again people are stupid like the scriptwriter for the doom3 movie.

I want the original PC action back :(

Also the game looks like mechwarrior 4 with heavily pumped effects gfx and lowered mech texture resoultion

Edited by: bart2o

Jan 6 2005 Anchor

dude, it's a whole new story. And it's a good game.

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.