Oct 5 2004 Anchor

Zerowing.idsoftware.com

I know only a few will care :D

--

running a hot rodded mac mini

Dragonlord
Dragonlord Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue
Oct 5 2004 Anchor

finally a demo for linux... took a very long time after announcing it until it arrived. let's see what's so special on this game... if...

EDIT: OMFG!!! recommendat... OSS!!!! do we live in stone age?

EDIT: EDIT: :dry: hack-o-rama.
1) OSS only. from a decent game you should expect ALSA
2) ATI not supported via fglrx. whereas this is not directory their problem but still...
3) 24bpp mode only. wonderfull... let's force also the desktop resolution not?

Edited by (in order): Dragonlord, Dragonlord

Leonardo-DiVinci
Leonardo-DiVinci UDK Megatkoyo-2041 Project
Oct 7 2004 Anchor

Well there goes the idea of running a Doom 3 Linux server great job doods. What were they smoking???

--

User Posted Image

Dragonlord
Oct 7 2004 Anchor

why? the package comes with a separate dedicated binary. as far as i read this one doesn't need all this. only the client is affected by this crap.

*waits for the last couple of MBs to download... BT sux major balls BTW U_U.

Edited by (in order): Dragonlord, Dragonlord

ShortCutMan
ShortCutMan ♥ Pure ♥ Bred ♥ Geek ♥
Oct 7 2004 Anchor

I'm sure they'll get around to fixing all the problems eventually. Isn't that what good games companies do?

--

98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 98% that is an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.
User Posted Image

Dragonlord
Oct 7 2004 Anchor

usually they tend to make things worse though... in some cases it helps. my experience so far was: if the game doesn't work, it will never work. because writing a new one gives more sales than fixing the old one.

Oct 7 2004 Anchor

Linux is weird but I like teh pingin! XD

--

Dragonlord
Oct 7 2004 Anchor

Tux RuL3Z... :lol: ... i'm installing Doom3 Demo at the moment... let's see if it can hold true the hype...

* me pulls out heavy-judging club...

Edited by: Dragonlord

Dragonlord
Oct 7 2004 Anchor

Playtest Report of Linux-Doom3 Demo:

beeing a bit excited to see what they come up with i gave this demo a try.

the installation is ok, works like a charme like all linux-games to install.

starting the game is also not a problem. fiddeling around with the settings and controls to get things started we head into the game.

nice intro scene, movies, 3d-scene, the usual thing... and the first crash:
WARNING: file def/weapon_bfg.def, line 92: Unknown entityDef ...
annoying. start up again and skip the intro in that case. so let's play then. the usage system of computer panels is really a nice feature. but turning around and trying to talk with the guy near the cargo boxes... another crash... again unknown entityDef... WTF?!

so i tried 5 times now and haven't got yet into the registration center up the stairs as it always crashes with those missing entities.

so there we've got a demo, obviously rushed out of the door to attract customers... unfortunatly it only manages to piss them off as the coding errors made during this demo are so blatant that it hurts.

looks like i need to DL the full version for windows to get a try (i don't expect the windows demo to be any better as those are elemental errors).

Oct 11 2004 Anchor

ATI and Linux do not mix well, so don't blame that on ID.

Although from the rest of the info, it does seem a bit rushed.

Dragonlord
Oct 11 2004 Anchor

well... i didn't post the entire error message:

undefined entitiyDef weaponBFG...

missing such an important entity in the demo is for sure not ATI's fault ;)

ShortCutMan
ShortCutMan ♥ Pure ♥ Bred ♥ Geek ♥
Oct 11 2004 Anchor

Nooo, not the BFG! Man, that shouldn't be missing!

--

98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 98% that is an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.
User Posted Image

Neurowave
Neurowave Viva ModRealm
Oct 11 2004 Anchor

Oooh, penguin frag.

--

User Posted Image
User Posted Image
User Posted Image

PsychoFarmer
PsychoFarmer modDB King
Oct 11 2004 Anchor

i didnt have any trouble in the slightest with the retail version on windows, except when i tried to run it at 1280x1024 on ultra high with everything turned on and 8x aa... it ran brilliantly at 1.5 fps, until an imp came on the screen then my geforce 3 ti 500 shat itself.

im guessing its a demo problem, it should be fixed shortly, hopefully

--

User Posted Image

deathmedic3rd
deathmedic3rd Metal Head
Oct 11 2004 Anchor

PsychoFarmer wrote: i didnt have any trouble in the slightest with the retail version on windows, except when i tried to run it at 1280x1024 on ultra high with everything turned on and 8x aa... it ran brilliantly at 1.5 fps, until an imp came on the screen then my geforce 3 ti 500 shat itself.

im guessing its a demo problem, it should be fixed shortly, hopefully

I dread what my computer would do with all that :paranoid:

--

running a hot rodded mac mini

Dragonlord
Oct 11 2004 Anchor

i expect this to be a demo problem myself. it's just a bit shamefull that the linux and the windows version are affected but the bug shows different results (crash to console under linux and under windows it suddenly freezes your screen, flickering and then ending up in a rediculously low resolution but with the game still at high res so you only see the upper part of your screen).

donno if they fix it. for me it was enough to test the game and it didn't hammer me:
- very predictable AI and events (i even started taking bets when the next monster pops up and i mostly won ^_^).
- besides the nifty tech-screens and the PDA not much interesing. you can't even pick up objects but only shoot.

if you like doom i guess this goes well for you but for me as somebody liking more tactical/brain-related games this is a bit dull on long terms. graphics are nice though.

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.