Forum Thread
by member
  Posts  
I am at a loss of mp games to play (Forums : PC Gaming : I am at a loss of mp games to play) Locked
Thread Options
Jan 7 2013, 1:07pm Anchor

After playing over 300 hours of Tribes: Ascend I have come to the conclusion that there are simply too many design decisions I disagree with and which keeps me from enjoying the game like I used to.
The thing is that T:A really rekindled my love for fast-paced shooters and I really don't see me going back to any modern military shooters, which I am so tired of I can't even stand watching others play. So, what games are there that can fill the void? I have tried Shootmania and I rather enjoyed it... It is just that it becomes kind of stale after a while.

Are there any multiplayer games you think I would like and-or any you would recommend me trying?
Help would be appreciated :)

Jan 7 2013, 2:20pm Anchor

Quake & Quake 2?

--

Go play some Quake 2: q2server.fuzzylogicinc.com
It's like Source v0.9, only... better!
Play Paintball for Doom 3!: d3server.fuzzylogicinc.com
Doom 3 Paintball to the Max!

Jan 7 2013, 2:29pm Anchor
TheHappyFriar wrote:Quake & Quake 2?

It's been a long time since I played Quake. I suppose it would be fun to get into it again, but I was kinda thinking about trying something new...

ambershee
ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks
Jan 8 2013, 4:32am Anchor

It's kind of funny that I share your sentiments. I loved Tribes: Ascend when it came out, but later design changes and additions broke the core experience and the interaction between classes.

I haven't found an alternative, so I'm currently playing different types of games. I did try out Hawken, but it wasn't for me.

Edited by: ambershee

Jan 8 2013, 7:35am Anchor
Dr.Freakman wrote:
It's been a long time since I played Quake. I suppose it would be fun to get into it again, but I was kinda thinking about trying something new...

I guess you should of make that statement before you asked for a game to play, eh? :)

Besides, who cares about the age of the game. That's like saying I won't play checkers because it's so oldddddddddddddddddd. Or poker. Or football. It's gotta be released yesterday man, or else it's no fun!

Here ya go: Tastyspleen.tv

Go enjoy some fun gaming. Enjoy some QPong, Or Chaos. Or Action. Or straight up, non sterilized, whiner friendly DM.

--

Go play some Quake 2: q2server.fuzzylogicinc.com
It's like Source v0.9, only... better!
Play Paintball for Doom 3!: d3server.fuzzylogicinc.com
Doom 3 Paintball to the Max!

Jan 8 2013, 11:01am Anchor
TheHappyFriar wrote:
Dr.Freakman wrote:
It's been a long time since I played Quake. I suppose it would be fun to get into it again, but I was kinda thinking about trying something new...

I guess you should of make that statement before you asked for a game to play, eh? :)

Besides, who cares about the age of the game. That's like saying I won't play checkers because it's so oldddddddddddddddddd. Or poker. Or football. It's gotta be released yesterday man, or else it's no fun!

Here ya go: Tastyspleen.tv

Go enjoy some fun gaming. Enjoy some QPong, Or Chaos. Or Action. Or straight up, non sterilized, whiner friendly DM.


No! Not because it is old! I play old games all the time. I just want a new experience, that's all ;)

ambershee wrote:It's kind of funny that I share your sentiments. I loved Tribes: Ascend when it came out, but later design changes and additions broke the core experience and the interaction between classes.

I haven't found an alternative, so I'm currently playing different types of games. I did try out Hawken, but it wasn't for me.


Yeah, Hawken wasn't too interesting, unfortunately. But I might try Firefall again... Especially considering I haven't actually tried PvP yet.

Jan 8 2013, 1:56pm Anchor

You should give a list of games you don't want to play. If your profile age is correct though, there's thousands of hours of Doom/Quake/Quake2/Quake3/Half Life mods that you've never played.

Worth mentioning:
Aliens Doom (one of the best coop's ever)
TF (the original, not the amputated remakes for everything else)
Sliders
Air Quake
QPong (can be a real PITA to get it to work, but it's worth it)
Chaos (Q2 is the best imho, I've tried the others)
Holy Wars
Excessive (Q3A's version is superior to the ST:V EF one)
Generations Arena
HL1's DM. IT supports a lot of neat features not in most DM's today (like turrets & what not)

Other games:
UT (Assault only, the DM/CTF/etc. isn't that fun imho, but instagib is one of the best)
UT2k4's Onslaught (it's assault isn't that good compared to the first)
AvP (most likely you can't run the original but the 2nd and 3rd have excellent MP modes, best with less the 8 people. 3rd got ruined in MP by allowing servers with more then 10 people)
Digital Paint (free)
DNF (the MP is awesome, definitly one of the most fun and original I've played since Quake 1)
ETQW

Non-shooters:
Descent 1/2/3 (AWESOME! Just pick one of the three)
Freespace 1/2 (2x AWESOME)

There's other games I really enjoyed the MP of I'll try to remember later.

--

Go play some Quake 2: q2server.fuzzylogicinc.com
It's like Source v0.9, only... better!
Play Paintball for Doom 3!: d3server.fuzzylogicinc.com
Doom 3 Paintball to the Max!

Jan 10 2013, 7:42pm Anchor

How picky are you?
Dominions 3 is old 2D style graphics. But if you like coming up with strategies for armies and empires, especially with mythological creatures, then you might want to look at the demo (the demo can be gotten from Illwinter.com and the game bought on Desura.com ). It has deep deep strategy options. More nations, more players in one game, and bigger maps than anyone ever wants to play. And even after years, no perfect-kill walk-thru or cheatcodes. People are still debating strategies.

Jan 11 2013, 4:48pm Anchor
gp1628 wrote:How picky are you?
Dominions 3 is old 2D style graphics. But if you like coming up with strategies for armies and empires, especially with mythological creatures, then you might want to look at the demo (the demo can be gotten from Illwinter.com and the game bought on Desura.com ). It has deep deep strategy options. More nations, more players in one game, and bigger maps than anyone ever wants to play. And even after years, no perfect-kill walk-thru or cheatcodes. People are still debating strategies.

Not so picky. I can proudly say that I have managed to play Dwarf Fortress ;)
How have I not heard about this game before? I am usually all over stategy games. Thank you :lol: Although it is not as much a new strategy game I need (Fallen Enchantress is so good) as a new multiplayer FPS.

Edited by: BluePotato

Jan 12 2013, 3:19pm Anchor

Mechwarrior: Living Legends

Jan 12 2013, 9:41pm Anchor

Ohhh... mechwarrior, forgot about that. MW2 was the best imho. After that (haven't played the LL mod) it wasn't as fun. MW2 was best lanning: several people in the same room playing "King of the Mountain" while all trying to convince the other plays the OTHER guy was the first one there & they should all gang up on him instead of you. :)

--

Go play some Quake 2: q2server.fuzzylogicinc.com
It's like Source v0.9, only... better!
Play Paintball for Doom 3!: d3server.fuzzylogicinc.com
Doom 3 Paintball to the Max!

Reply to Thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.