Forum Thread
Halo 2 (Forums : Console Gaming : Halo 2) Locked
Thread Options 1 2 3 4
Nov 9 2004 Anchor

This game is absolutely excellent. The graphics have been much improved, the missions are more exciting, it actually has a story you can follow, and the weapons are much more balanced. This game shows you both sides of the story: the humans and the Covenant. It is an interesting perspective, and it makes the Covenant out to be more than mindless beasts bent on world domination.

As I said, the weaponry has been improved. The assault rifle has been replaced with the Battle Rifle which I find much more powerful and fun, and the Needler isn't such a pansy weapon anymore. The pistol still owns, though the cheap zoom has been replaced by a non-firing binocular view. It's still one of the best guns in the game, in my opinion. Dual wielding is a lot of fun, and it allows more depth to your strategy when choosing which two guns you want to carry, and since they fire independently you can deliver a brutal blow to opponents by organizing your attack pattern.

There is a mission I'm on now where you play as a different character. I don't want to spoil anything, but it's very frustrating because I cannot tell who to fire at and who is on my side because everyone looks the same. It's a fun mission for the most part, and you get to finally pick up the plasma sword (which is a lot of fun). However, I would've liked more distinction between friend and foe for this section of the game.

The sound effects are very crisp, as are the new level designs. You get to run through a city street and underground highway system early on in the game, taking Ghosts and Warthogs and Scorpion's with you. Lots and lots of fun, as well as the ability to kick people out of their vehicle and commandeer it. The physics are more realistic, too. Blasting fly-by Ghosts from the Scorpion's cannon sends them careening into walls and flipping into the air.

The enemy A.I. is improved. They actually take cover and fire blind once in awhile. If you are in dark corridors, they will jump around corners and wait for you to pass, and they will even form around you and make flanking maneuvers. Very cool stuff.

I still have issues with being flustered when there's lots of action on screen. People move around very quickly, and often times I find myself not able to rotate quickly enough, even with raised analog sensitivity. Things get hectic very quickly, and if you don't get ahead of the situation it will overwhelm you in no time.

The game is a much more steroidal version of the original. It throws you immediately into the gameplay, and it says "If you're playing this, you've probably played Halo before. So go ahead, have fun." Oh, I will. Thank you very much.

9/10

BlueWolf72
BlueWolf72 Mod Till Ya Die
Nov 9 2004 Anchor

Blah

This is a 10/10 game

--

Desura Contests Live!
Twitter With Me?<!--Session data-->

<!-- Top iFrame -->

<!-- Bottom iFrame -->

Nov 9 2004 Anchor

Cry me a river. I still have a couple of gripes, and it's not that revolutionary. It's just a sequel of Halo. Same game, just a bit better graphics and a couple of new weapons and levels. I'm not going to bother over a single point. :)

Pengus
Pengus Big-Sexy-BiRacial-Man
Nov 9 2004 Anchor

I should have it today cant wait. Wish the computer and xbox release was at the same time but whatever.

--

Learn C++HERE

User Posted Image

If you hate pop-ups email me for the C++ tutorial files.

Nov 9 2004 Anchor

This is a 1/10 game just because Halo is stupid

--

User Posted Image

Nov 9 2004 Anchor

Dude, you reviewed Halo 2 the day it came out? I recommend a week or two to actually get used to the game before actually giving a review. lol. What a silly thing to do :)

Not to mention, you didn't include Xbox Live or the MP aspects (such as coop or LAN hook-up), which are huge aspects of the game, and that'd would've boosted it to a 10/10 :D

Edited by: Karuto

--

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster."
- Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146

Nov 9 2004 Anchor

It's not silly. I played for four straight hours last night and two or three more earlier today, and it won't take much more playing to influence my opinion. There isn't anything more to experience in the game at that point, just new levels and escalating difficulty.

I don't own Xbox Live, so I didn't comment on the multiplayer aspects. Someone else can do that. Otherwise, my mini-review (not being very long) pretty much covers it all.

Edited by (in order): 40ozFreak, 40ozFreak

Nov 9 2004 Anchor

I'll do it, 40oz. I happen to own Xbox Live and I'm going to a huge 16-player LAN party on Saturday, so I'll give my official review (as official as it can be) on Sunday.

It's an awesome review, however, so I'm not disrespecting the review itself. You put plenty of thought into it, so for that I commend you for the effort. Hope we see more opinions from people about the game in the future :)

--

Nov 9 2004 Anchor

bleh like 10 people were out today just to play Halo... I would rather go to school, halo is just not that fun, and it being on console makes it even worse. :P

--

Nov 9 2004 Anchor

Halo was on the PC, were you aware? :P

Besides, it's not your opinion that matters. Lol. They stayed home because they apparently really liked Halo 2 (not to mention, staying home from school is always a bonus).

You just have to play in a 16-player LAN party to realise just how much fun a game of Halo 1 or 2 really is :D That's when the weird SP campaign goes away and you find this great time playing the game. That's why I still really like to play Halo with my friends all these years later, and we're going to have an all-day LAN party on Saturday to really go at it. We curse like sailors sometimes, but you can't deny that playing video games against your friends in one/two rooms is indeed one of the funnest times you could have :)

--

Nov 9 2004 Anchor

Yeah the only time I ever played it was on PC and it ws on like a 7 player LAN and... yeah it was too slow... imma stick with UT2k4 thank u very much :D

--

Nov 9 2004 Anchor

Trust me, Halo on the PC sucked compared to the one on the Xbox. There was no co-op, for one, and LAN parties with Xboxes on 4 TVs with people around you is definitely a hell of a lot better than playing against people across the globe. It just doesn't feel as exciting as it is when you do have said LAN party :)

--

Nov 9 2004 Anchor

Ill have to try it sometime, I played it once on XBOX, but it was just like 2v2 on a tiny tv so it really sucked... but yeah it just seemed to me like it wasnt really even because my friend found some awesome gun and everyone else would die before they could stand up to him because it was pwning everything... and then I got mad and threw my drink... and went and played Red Orchestra...which I dont know why because that is a farkin annoying and hard mod :P

--

Nov 10 2004 Anchor

Yes Karuto, please feel free to add whatever you wish, and review the multiplayer aspects since I am unable. I'm looking forward to it.

Dragonlord
Dragonlord Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue
Nov 10 2004 Anchor

Karuto wrote: Trust me, Halo on the PC sucked compared to the one on the Xbox. There was no co-op, for one, and LAN parties with Xboxes on 4 TVs with people around you is definitely a hell of a lot better than playing against people across the globe. It just doesn't feel as exciting as it is when you do have said LAN party :)

you can do this btw with pcs a lot better. i find it anyways a bit ridiculous to speak of a 'LAN' party when using consoles... :lol:

VegasTheWZAd
VegasTheWZAd Skull Servant
Nov 10 2004 Anchor

40ozFreak wrote: Cry me a river. I still have a couple of gripes, and it's not that revolutionary. It's just a sequel of Halo. Same game, just a bit better graphics and a couple of new weapons and levels. I'm not going to bother over a single point. :)

COUGHnitpickingCOUGH

Dragonlord
Nov 10 2004 Anchor

silent_shadow900 wrote:

40ozFreak wrote: Cry me a river. I still have a couple of gripes, and it's not that revolutionary. It's just a sequel of Halo. Same game, just a bit better graphics and a couple of new weapons and levels. I'm not going to bother over a single point. :)

COUGHnitpickingCOUGH

*grin*... looks like people not going "hail the mighty halo2" get kicked lol...

frosty-theaussie
frosty-theaussie Sonny Jim
Nov 10 2004 Anchor

You have to nitpick. 10/10 is PERFECT. If it is PERFECT, then it cannot have ANY problems in it whatsoever.

--

User Posted Image

VegasTheWZAd
Nov 10 2004 Anchor

frosty-theaussie wrote: You have to nitpick. 10/10 is PERFECT. If it is PERFECT, then it cannot have ANY problems in it whatsoever.

So gta has no problems?

Nov 10 2004 Anchor

8/10

Average and a poor successor.

--

Why wont it save me?

Nov 10 2004 Anchor

azz0r wrote: 8/10

Average and a poor successor.

Burn in hell :|

Lol, anyway, it looks to be a great game. My friend can't stop talking about how cool it was to pick up two assault rifles and blast the hell out of the Covenant forces. Can't wait to play it :D

And by the way, GTA is near perfect, but it's indeed a classic in the genre. It has huge maps, a terrific style of gameplay, killer story, and good voice acting :) If not a 10, it's at least a 9.

Edited by: Karuto

--

Nov 10 2004 Anchor

silent_shadow900 wrote:

COUGHnitpickingCOUGH

It's not perfect, and it's not worthy of a full score in my opinion. It's a great game, and worth buying, but it didn't blow the skin off my face like all the little fanboys are saying it would.

silent_shadow900 wrote:

frosty-theaussie wrote: You have to nitpick. 10/10 is PERFECT. If it is PERFECT, then it cannot have ANY problems in it whatsoever.

So gta has no problems?

GTA has problems, and I wouldn't give it a 10 either. There is not a single game on the market that I would give 10 points to, unless Half-Life 2 makes my penis hard.

Dragonlord
Nov 10 2004 Anchor

i would not be so quick about HL2... the final shot is not out yet... it will get a harde judge from me, like all games do... let's see what stands after i worked it over ;)

Nov 10 2004 Anchor

I heard some people at my school say the campaign was better but the multiplayer had not changed much :P

--

VegasTheWZAd
Nov 10 2004 Anchor

The people at your school are f*cking idiots.

AND!

Whats cooler than picking up a sentinal and using it to kill people?

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.