Forum Thread
Goldfinger 64 (Forums : Recruiting & Resumes : Goldfinger 64) Locked
Thread Options
Jul 6 2009 Anchor

Hello! My name is monkeyface and I come here as a representative of the Goldfinger 64 project. It's a fan re-imagining of the 1997 Nintendo 64 game Goldeneye 007. The goal of the project is to replace all 20 of the original Goldeneye levels and missions with new ones, based on the 1964 movie Goldfinger. Hence Goldfinger 64. The reason for this is simply because the Bond franchise hasn't had a very good games since Rare's last outing. With this project we'll try to focus on the simple things that made the game so great in the first place. Its interesting takes on the original movie scenarios and locations, its willingness to improvise on the themes of the movie to further the gameplay and, at last but not least, its butt-ugly guards.

Visit goldeneyevault.com and shootersforever.com for more in depth information on how we actually plan to mod the original game. In short, I can say that we have software that lets us modify the US version of the Goldeneye .rom. What we'll distribute as a final product is a completely legal (we won't share the rom) patch file, which people then can download and apply to their .rom file. If you are wondering how much we can modify, and to what degree, I can say that that it goes pretty deep. We can create completely new maps/levels, completely new mission and objectives, completely new music, completely new textures and completely new models. We can't edit animations, yet. And obviously, we don't have source code, so you wont be able to create a Nintendo 64 Counter-Strike in the Goldeneye engine. But it's enough to create Goldfinger 64.

Again, I urge you to visit these two sites: goldeneyevault.com and shootersforever.com. goldeneyevault is the site where our files end up for public viewing and shootersforever.com contains the forums on which we reside. The project's official thread is here: Shootersforever.com.

Right now, it's not exactly the rage of the Internet to download and patch Goldeneye 007, but I do think this project could garner quite some attention, at least if you consider its solid foundation of nostalgia and appreciation for the original material.

So, what do we need exactly? Everything, really. We got some people, but it'd really help to have some more people on board. If you do one of the following things and find this project interesting, contact me:

Level design, modeling, texturing. You'll be creating levels, models and textures in the smallest of scales. A maximum of 1500 polygons per room. 32*64/32*32/64*32 8-bit textures. The editor can only import .obj-files, so be sure your editor can do that. There are some more technical details to it, but I'll brief you on those when you're on board.

Musician, composer. You'll need to know the rhythms, melodies, themes and harmonies of the original Goldeneye 007 game, and perhaps the Goldfinger movie, while at the same time bringing something new to the table. You'll be working with .midi files which then will be imported into the game and matched with the correct instruments. I'm not exactly the one to go into the details of the music as there's, I think, some technical sides to it which you may need to know before you start composing. Anyway, if you liked the music of the original game and would like to try it out,

Mission maker. No prior knowledge needed! As this will be done in the Goldeneye editor I possibly can't ask you to have any experience in that. It's not hard, you don't need to know programming, but you should have a solid grasp on the design concepts of the original game, and what makes a level/mission/game fun to play and explore. You would first get to know the program before you start working on the official missions, but if you feel this would be the most interesting thing to work with, just tell me.

If you're interested in the software I'm talking about, it's Goldeneye Setup Editor, mainly developed by a guy named SubDrag, someone who is also in the Goldfinger 64 project. Go to the goldeneyevault.com to check it out/dowload.

Here are some screens:

And here is a project a finished earlier. I replaced all of the multiplayer maps with Counter-Strike ones.

Hopefully this is sufficient information for you to get inspired! Hope to talk to you later,

monkeyface - kentrye@hotmail.com

Edited by: monkeyface

kmarvell125
kmarvell125 Providing death from below since 2001.
Jul 6 2009 Anchor

Sounds awesome, can't wait to see it.

--

1.7ghz P4
ATI Radeon 9600XT
768 RAM

User Posted Image
User Posted Image
User Posted Image

Jul 7 2009 Anchor

Thank you. What says the rules about bumping a thread such as this? I mean, the offer still stands and we still need people.
Would it be possible to add this as a moddb mod? I know it's not the most obvious mod out there.

Squiggers
Squiggers I'm British, you Muppet.
Jul 9 2009 Anchor

monkeyface wrote: Thank you. What says the rules about bumping a thread such as this? I mean, the offer still stands and we still need people.
Would it be possible to add this as a moddb mod? I know it's not the most obvious mod out there.

Yup, go to the mod page, and click the plus sign, meaning you can add it.

Robert-33
Robert-33 Working on it....
Jul 9 2009 Anchor

Rom hacking is traditionally quite a complex artform. The addition of an unofficial editor makes things much easier. Good luck to you.

--

Robert-33's Darkscribes profile

"If we are made of stardust, from whence
did that star come?"
   - Surefire dancefloor anthem with a creationist
slant.

Jul 10 2009 Anchor

I take no credit for the editor. The editor doesn't just make it easier, it makes it possible and is initially what got me started with this. As you can see in the attached YouTube video, all the map geometry has been swapped. In the new project, we'll do custom missions, add actual lighting to the maps and custom models. This is all thanks to the editor, while there still would be a hacking scene without it, it'd be considerably smaller.
Squiggers, did you add Goldeneye 007 just now? Because I'm sure it wasn't there before... Anyway, thank you, I'll be sure to create a mod profile. This "outpost" will mostly work as a way to gather attention from possible contributors, it's not to drum up anticipation, at least not yet.

The moddb.com profile is set up: Moddb.com
Also there's a tutorial in there, created by TimEh.

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.