Forum Thread
Doom 3 Skinning (Forums : Coding & Scripting : Doom 3 Skinning) Locked
Thread Options 1 2
Jan 30 2005 Anchor

nevermind about what i previously posted. i am totally lost with skinning doom 3 characters. someone tell me how if you're cool like that.

Edited by (in order): Chunky, Chunky, Chunky

Feb 6 2005 Anchor

ok i am offering an award. whoever can teach me how to succesfully skin a character for my mod in doom 3, will have their name on my sig for an entire month. you can make it say anything too like "(name) is really cool" or "(name) is better then me because he taught me how to skin" or something like that. i really need help.

Feb 6 2005 Anchor

Doom3 skinning? :P

You mean, to teach you how to skin models, or to tell you where are the all skin files located in doom3? :P

Feb 6 2005 Anchor

The~David~Cult wrote: whoever can teach me how to succesfully skin a character.

and even if i didnt know where the models are located (which i do) then it wouldnt matter anyway because i want to be taught from scratch/beggining

Feb 6 2005 Anchor

Then why youre asking for doom3 skinning tutorials ? :)

Skinning heavily depends on your drawing skills, it isn't possible to teach how to skin... but you can always check google for some metal/skin/plastic etc. drawing technique tutorials

Feb 6 2005 Anchor

i have looked for tutorials on google and i dont need to know how to draw. i need to know what file to open (since there are a bunch in each model folder), what part of the tga to draw on, and stuff like that. i need to be able to make one of the models completely one solid color, and then draw a new face on them.

example: making someone's arms yellow, someone's head green, and someones legs blue.

dont ask why, just help me!!

Feb 6 2005 Anchor

There are glow map (specular map) files, normal map files, color map files and many others. If you only want to change the colors, modify only the color maps. I may be wrong, but theoretically color maps are without any pre/suffixes :P

Feb 6 2005 Anchor

uhhhh.....durrr.....like i said anyone who wants to teach me gets their name in my sig for a month

leilei
leilei The person who doesn't like anything
Feb 6 2005 Anchor

The~David~Cult wrote: uhhhh.....durrr.....like i said anyone who wants to teach me gets their name in my sig for a month

Rofl, nice reward.

If you can't google and have the faintest clue on how to edit skins yourself nor take the advice here, you shouldn't even mod.

(And I don't mean zipped and rarr'd key config files, either)

Edited by: leilei

--

<  insert subject games here  >

Feb 6 2005 Anchor

oh yes. i shouldnt mod because i dont know how to skin succesfully. if i cant edit a tga so that it works, then that means i cant code or map or anything else. :rolleyes:

and you still dont get the point. only a nerd like you would care what format a modification is in. as long as its fun to play, then no one gives a shit.

Feb 12 2005 Anchor

Moddb.com

Instead of being in my sig (unless you want that too), you will be in the credits...

embers.
embers. I'm a lumberjack....
Feb 13 2005 Anchor

The~David~Cult wrote: and you still dont get the point. only a nerd like you would care what format a modification is in. as long as its fun to play, then no one gives a shit.

didnt u just apologise for saying dumbass things like that yesterday?and DOOM 3 with no blood isnt fun no.

Feb 13 2005 Anchor

ember, that was the 7th. almost a week ago...thats why it is a double post

Edited by (in order): Chunky, Chunky

Feb 19 2005 Anchor

Planetquake.com!!!!!

i hope this works...

update: its for meshes. i hope doom 3 meshes exist....

grrrr i need something like this Fileplanet.com for doom 3....

Edited by (in order): Chunky, Chunky

declinsion
declinsion Wall Scibbler
Feb 19 2005 Anchor

No one wants to help an asshole. Just a tip.

mr.spammer
mr.spammer More Than A Woman
Feb 19 2005 Anchor

Hey, c'mon now declinsion, he's already made a public apology, give the guy a break!

Feb 19 2005 Anchor

yes, please declinsion. i have said i am sorry and i still mean it.

Feb 19 2005 Anchor

He means you're acting like an asshole right now. Just because you made a thread saying you were sorry doesn't mean we'll all just say, "Oh yeah, right, I forgot. Well, I guess I'm the one looking like a jerk then." You're still on the chopping block.

You don't expect someone to take a lot of time out of their hands to teach you how to skin just for their name in your signature. This takes months, even years, to become a good skinner. I'd suggest looking around on the tutorial sites to learn (I think Polycount has one...).

--

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster."
- Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146

leilei
Feb 19 2005 Anchor

No, he just has no clue on simply opening or editing the skin xD

--

Feb 19 2005 Anchor

The~David~Cult wrote: Planetquake.com!!!!!

i hope this works...

update: its for meshes. i hope doom 3 meshes exist....

grrrr i need something like this Fileplanet.com for doom 3....

i didnt expect anyone to take a lot of time out of their hands to teach me how to skin just for their name in my signature. i wasnt serious about that. and he posted that after i posted today. not after i said the sig comment.

look whos being the assholes now. he randomly called me one after i made a post not saying anything to anyone. thats why me and mr. spammer told him i had appologized before, because he might not have seen it.

karuto you have to stop going around in everyones threads and getting them locked. you're starting a fight now that is going to make this get locked.

declinsion
declinsion Wall Scibbler
Feb 20 2005 Anchor

I don't mind being an asshole. It'd kinda tight. And whether you've apologized or not. you're still an asshole. And as I said, no one wants to help an asshole. I was simply giving you some advice.

leilei
Feb 20 2005 Anchor

declinsion wrote: I don't mind being an asshole. It'd kinda tight. And whether you've apologized or not. you're still an asshole. And as I said, no one wants to help an asshole. I was simply giving you some advice.

Indeed.

Being a dick, then making a link to the "im sorry" thread isn't valid anymore for an excuse.

--

Feb 20 2005 Anchor

jesus christ. i already said why i did that. he randomly said that so i thought he hadnt had seen my appology for the past. im doing nothing asshole worthy....

Feb 21 2005 Anchor

anyone at least know how to skin HL2 textures? hopefully they are different then doom 3 skinning since no one can help me with that.

Feb 21 2005 Anchor

FFS Open the texture files with a photoshop-esque editor and EDIT them. IS IT SO HARD?

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.