Forum Thread
Doom 3 Engine is Better than Hl2, look why (Forums : General Banter : Doom 3 Engine is Better than Hl2, look why) Locked
Thread Options 1 2
Nov 23 2004 Anchor

This is all on your point of view. Someone had gotten the textures of Hl2 and made a map using them. Check it out,
Doom3world.org

LiMeY
LiMeY Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nov 23 2004 Anchor

awesome :D

odd how the plyer model is only half height

Edited by: LiMeY

--

'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'

Nov 23 2004 Anchor

Its actually kinda funny when you think about it.

LiMeY
Nov 23 2004 Anchor

midget wars 8)

--

dEaThMaStEr
dEaThMaStEr modDB Pile of Twigs
Nov 23 2004 Anchor

heh, ya well doom 3's engine beat's hl2's wiothout any dispute i think. Its quite obvious that its the textures that are good, not the engine. Doom 3's is more capable then what people give it i think.. More hype on hl2's power then should be i think because its all in the artwork and people who jump on hl2 for modding because of its "power" are gonna be disapointed.. :P

Nov 23 2004 Anchor

looks the same to me

--

>:|

leilei
leilei The person who doesn't like anything
Nov 23 2004 Anchor

Also Darkplaces does the same Doom3 can do, so Darkplaces > HL2 :D

--

<  insert subject games here  >

Nov 23 2004 Anchor

Yeh true. Actually its the other way around, people think HL2 is a pile a crap and Doom 3 can do more than if can. But it seems all people are doing are military and horror mods for Doom 3. :P So basically the modding community for Doom 3 is limited.

Stimor wrote: looks the same to me

Yes looks the same, btu the shadows are in real time, basically it ain't the same.

Nov 23 2004 Anchor

pixel per pixel shadows are not much :P

--

Nov 23 2004 Anchor

Well if you can do it in HL2, please let me know. :D

Nov 23 2004 Anchor

Well, I think this is really an axiom. Obviously, Doom3 is a much more powerful engine then hl2, but look at how taxing it is on even the bgest PC's. Hl2, is a good looking engine, probably a bit better then ut2004. However, the hl2 engine can run nice and smooth on even some of the older machines. So it's a tradeoff really, though hl2 will definatley more open to modding because unlike doom3, multiplayer won't induce much more lag.

Edited by:

--

User Posted Image
I LOVE You
FUH-Q

Nov 23 2004 Anchor

that does not show all the spizzy spazzy effects (details that hl2 has)

--

Nov 23 2004 Anchor

I still hate Doom 3. Hl2 all the way. I can't wait for the Full SDK.

LiMeY
Nov 23 2004 Anchor

how can you hate doom3 and have it as one of your fav games and b a member of doom3 mod :P

Edited by: LiMeY

--

frosty-theaussie
frosty-theaussie Sonny Jim
Nov 23 2004 Anchor

I hate Tresspasser, the only redeeming quality that game had was to look down at your own cleavage.

--

User Posted Image

Nov 23 2004 Anchor

Doom 3 mod is old and I didn't change my profile.

Nov 23 2004 Anchor

Sure, Doom 3 is more powerful. Doesn't mean it's better :P

Like comparing the PS2 to the Xbox.

Edited by: Karuto

--

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster."
- Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146

Nov 23 2004 Anchor

Haha. True, so true.

L337_Haxs
L337_Haxs Reverse Software Engineer
Nov 23 2004 Anchor

I always thought doom 3 was better but this just proves it! It is the more powerful engine! :D awesome

--

User Posted Image

Nov 24 2004 Anchor

Doom 3 is more quality oriented, HL2 is more quantity oriented. People have their tastes.

Personally, I think it would be cool if you looked at how PCs have improved in performance since, say, 1996 (Quake). Doom 3 is similar in terms of the amount of the level you see, and how many bad guys are on the screen, but it looks so much better right? (I'm talking about the original Quake BTW). Now imagine if nobody ever bothered upgrading the visuals since Quake. Instead, they focused on cramming tons and tons of guys and cool AI in there, and stuff...

DarkPlaces is upgraded in visual quantity, and can pull off amazing things such as having 200 monsters on screen at once, MULTIPLAYER, in combat mode, without any framerate drop OR network lag (server in a different country). Imagine if they traded some of that to boost the monster count to, say, 1000?

Anyway

--

User Posted Image

briguy992
briguy992 DigiPen Student
Nov 24 2004 Anchor

I personally think that doom3 focuses on those "10 seconds of fun" type gameplay concept where when you are fighting something, they want that to be fun... and as long as they nail that they are doing good...

for HL2 I feel they are going for all around constant fun, much more upbeat, throwing everything you got and total twists everywhere

I think the pinky demon is one of the only things I like about doom3... it is textured so intricately! I _hate_ the hard shadows though... To me, I don't care if they are lightmaps or real-time... give me soft shadows any day.

--

DigiPen RTIS student!

Digipen.edu 

VegasTheWZAd
VegasTheWZAd Skull Servant
Nov 24 2004 Anchor

frosty-theaussie wrote: I hate Tresspasser, the only redeeming quality that game had was to look down at your own cleavage.

you could do that in tribes 2

Dragonlord
Dragonlord Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue
Nov 24 2004 Anchor

Trespasser was an experiment and the stress has been completly on physics. for that time they did something impressive there although it was harder to play than monkeyball with hands tied up... :lol:

and the AI i guess was also said to be different than all. at last if you gave the AI a bit of time it had the chance to do something but most time it was rather dull... but... wasn't it supposed to have dull dinos?

chis
chis Old man.
Nov 24 2004 Anchor

think about doom3 compared to HL2 in gameplay is that doom3 is farkin boring small dark corridores :P

--

Nothing.

Nov 24 2004 Anchor

And you don't see squad tactics in Doom 3 like Half-Life 2. Not to mention, Doom 3 has a much harder time rendering large outdoor environments, since D3 has been all about the close proximity level design ever since it was made. That's why Unreal broke out and became just as big as Doom or Quake, because it had large outdoor environments. Half-Life 2 is already a great game boosted by a more realistic look (I don't care what you say, Doom 3 characters and monsters look like clay).

I'll take Half-Life 2 over Doom 3 any day, and I still own all the Doom and HL iterations :P

--

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster."
- Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.