Forum Thread
CS 1.6 fps problem... (Forums : Tech Support : CS 1.6 fps problem...) Locked
Thread Options
Dec 4 2011 Anchor

Hello guys, I have a problem with Counter Strike 1.6...

My fps rate varies from 20 to 70 and I want to have constant 60 fps...

I tried everything... Commands, resolutions, 16 32 bits, software, open gl, direct 3D...
I dont know what to do...

My PC configuration is:
AMD Sempron 2500+ 1.76Ghz
1Gb DDR1/2 RAM
AMD ATI Radeon 9800 128Mb DDR

Please help!

Dec 16 2011 Anchor

well firstly if you want constant FPS, you will have to cap it. In CS 1.6 the command is
fps_max 60.0
usually you get more accurate cap (in my experience) by going 1 framerate higher, so you might try fps_max 61.0

That will obviously prevent it from going over, but the problem with your frame rate dropping below that is a matter of your PC being able to render enough frames in the given time. Your best solution would be to upgrade the computer.

If that is not an option you will have to play with the graphics settings. CS 1.6 is not known for having many menu options for you to play with as far as graphics are concerned, but fortunately there is some tweaking you can do from a configuration file,
check the 3rd post in this forum thread I found
Phpbb.hkspirit.net

Dec 17 2011 Anchor

To Increase FPS, you might want to disable VSynch.. thats atleast what i did to increase FPS on my 10 years old laptop.. (i went from 25 to 45 when disabled) thoguh i dont play CS anymore i never really did, and i was using that laptop like 5 years ago :D

--

Think It. Sketch It. Create It. Repeat. 
User Posted Image

Dec 18 2011 Anchor

I don't think CS 1.6 has an ingame option for VSync but that's still a really good point, because on a newer system I had I noticed that for some reason my NVidia control panel decided to force V-Sync on for Half-Life applications.
So make sure this isn't happening for you.

Edited by: spacelike

Dec 18 2011 Anchor

spacelike wrote: I don't think CS 1.6 has an ingame option for VSync but that's still a really good point, because on a newer system I had I noticed that for some reason my NVidia control panel decided to force V-Sync on for Half-Life applications.
So make sure this isn't happening for you.

I did it trough console, however i cant recall how was it exactly..

--

Think It. Sketch It. Create It. Repeat. 
User Posted Image

Dec 18 2011 Anchor

Wait 128mb video card? CS1.6 FPS problems? Did I go back in time to the early 2004-2006?

Jan 3 2012 Anchor

first of all play cs with openGL only , update your GPUdrivers, clean your OS / reinstall, I had a 2000+ AMD and it worked better , cap your fps either to your refresh rate or 100

and disable vsync

Jan 4 2012 Anchor

Ok thx!

--

"motus domesticus vulgaris vita est versus homo novus"

Feb 14 2012 Anchor

is the 1.6 patch with the shield and steam? Anyhow opengl should be best, and software the worst

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.