Forum Thread
Coda - Unreal Engine 3 Prototype (Forums : Recruiting & Resumes : Coda - Unreal Engine 3 Prototype) Locked
Thread Options
ambershee
ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks
Sep 9 2009 Anchor

Hi guys,

It's been quite a few months now since I've been doing any hardcore modding, and it's something I've been considering, largely from a design perspective, although as of yet I have not found a project that has taken my fancy.

I also feel that maybe it's about time to try something a little different, and am putting the feelers out for similarily experienced people who maybe feel like they'd like to try the same thing.

I'm personally now interested in looking at the possibility of constructing a high quality, playable prototype game using Unreal Tournament 3 as a base over a period of around 18 months. The ultimate aim is to then be able to take this demo, and attempt to register interest and financing to set up shop and produce a full length, commercial title.

Skimpy details below, in a readable format. I'm currently knocking up some concept documentation, which will later be available on request, after NDA.

Project name:
Coda

Brief description:
Coda is a first-person shooter with a strong set of unusual game mechanics. Taking place largely aboard a failing space craft, it incorporates zero gravity environments, strong use of dynamic lighting and shadowing, and heavy use of physics. Game mechanics are intended to emphasise exploration and interaction with the game world, and there is an unusually strong bias in favour of narrative, immersion and atmosphere over combat.

Target aim:
One single playable level demonstrating all major elements of the game mechanics, and one single multiplayer level demonstrating the potential for competitive adaptation (not cooperative play).

Compensation:
There is no immediate financial compensation available. The ultimate aim may be to secure funding, but I only have my spare time, dedication and expertise to offer to like-minded individuals.

Technology:
Unreal Tournament 3. There will be a heavy emphasis on the use of the physics engine, so it is recommended that developers own a higher end Nvidia graphics card that supports PhysX, or a seperate physics card. All of the intended game mechanics are deliberately derived from the high-end capabilities of the Unreal Engine, represented in Unreal Tournament 3.

Talent Wanted:
I'm essentially interested in meeting any like-minded individuals with reasonable levels of expertise with the Unreal Engine, or a similar game engine to discuss how they may fit into such a project.

I am however mostly interested in meeting a talented and capable 3d Artist who has experience building both static and skeletal meshes from scratch, and bringing them into the editor, and possibly an experienced project manager.

Personal Experience:
I have nearly three years commercial experience with the Unreal Engine, working as a contract unreal technology consultant in my free time. More information is available on request.

Contacts:
ambershee [at] gmail.com

Feedback & Questions:
Direct project-specific questions to private message or e-mail. All feedback is appreciated, especially from those who may have attempted such a project before.

Sep 9 2009 Anchor

You do realize there is already a mod for UT3 called Coda.. right? :/

ambershee
ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks
Sep 9 2009 Anchor

a) Yes.
b) Coda is a working title, for a non-publically released project, and is completely unrelated; I'm sure it won't be an issue.

Edited by: ambershee

Sep 10 2009 Anchor

Anyone who knows a little about moddb knows something about ambershee. Apart from ambershee being quite skilled hes not overly ambitious and finnishes his mods. Sadly i know too little about Unreal Ed as of yet to take part, but if you got some skill this offer is for you!
Good luck ambershee, though you prolly dont need it :D

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.