Forum Thread
BF1942: Battlefield 40k Mod (Forums : Development Banter : BF1942: Battlefield 40k Mod) Locked
Thread Options
bf40kadmin
bf40kadmin Battlefield40k Admin
Dec 13 2004 Anchor

Hello to everyone on Mod DB :)

Our mod has been in development since July 04

We currently recruiting the following:

Unwrappers
Texture artists/Skinners
scripters
Animators
Audio artists

Lionheart, Alan2525

Find us here at: Battlefield40k.com

--

User Posted Image

Krycha
Krycha ♥♥♥
Dec 14 2004 Anchor

Nice website you have there guys :D And nice human (?) models you have there in screenshots gallery. Too bad I don't really play BF1942 ;).

--

Mod DB 1337 Polsky Man™ /// still here, lurking!
User Posted Image |User Posted Image

bf40kadmin
Dec 14 2004 Anchor

All thanks to alan2525, he runs and maintains it.

-Lionheart

--

User Posted Image

Dec 14 2004 Anchor

You've got some impressive models in there :O

bf40kadmin
Dec 14 2004 Anchor

Thank you, I'll pass that on to our artists :)

- Lionheart

--

User Posted Image

HangPhyr
HangPhyr Failed science project
Dec 14 2004 Anchor

Pretty ambitious, looking at all the proposed units. Good luck with that.

And I'm with Krycha, its unfortunate that its BF1942.

--

User Posted Image

TheBladeRoden
TheBladeRoden Dark Cry Lead Developer
Dec 15 2004 Anchor

Maybe if you moved it to Battlefield 2 I'd help.

--

BANNED - kthxbye. (Cheapalert)

Dec 15 2004 Anchor

TheBladeRoden wrote: Maybe if you moved it to Battlefield 2 I'd help.

BF2 still has several months before it's going to be released, therefore it's impossible to tell what is/isn't going to be supported.

bf40kadmin
Dec 15 2004 Anchor

We are still thinking about battlefield 2 and whether to move over to it.

The thing is currently most of us are still learning all the capabilities of the current refractor 1.0 engine.
For our scripters it has been very much a lesson of trial and error.

The problem that will come of switching to a new engine will be that it is going to be far more sophisticated to design for. As if it isn't complicated already.

My personal hope is that the battlefield developers follow the example of Valve and consult the modding community in design of good conversion and modding tools that will allow transition from an older engine to a new one simple.

- Lionheart

Edited by: bf40kadmin

--

User Posted Image

The_MOHAA_Master
The_MOHAA_Master I don't know what to put here :/
Dec 15 2004 Anchor

Are you still working on it? if so you should add something that can teleport you or an enemy like you could make one that takes u somewhere and one that dissenegrates(spelling?) the enemy it would be cool

--

User Posted Image

~Are you ready for the MOHAA master?~

Pxtl
Pxtl Lord of the Files
Dec 15 2004 Anchor

Why not use the UT2k4 Engine? Same vehicle support, similar gameplay, and UT is far, far easier to mod.

Dec 15 2004 Anchor

^^ Yes, I totally recommend either UT2k4 or Joint Ops. The new Joint Ops expansion pack brings the player count up to
150 players online. That's bound to be a lot of fun, especially with Warhammer 40k as the subject.

Your site looks nice, too ^_^

--

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster."
- Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146

bf40kadmin
Dec 15 2004 Anchor

I didn't make that decision, I joined the mod in late August/early September and the mod started early July. I joined as both a 40k fan and bf1942 player.

Seeing as the team have been working on the mod all the time it would be a waste of time to start from scratch again, and undo all what has been achieved so far.
Not only that there still is a large bf1942 base that want to play the game on their old hardware.

I've played UT2004 but its fighting maps feel a little limited.
(I don't know all about it I only have the demo)

Joint ops looks really good but I wonder how well does it play?

- Lionheart

--

User Posted Image

The_MOHAA_Master
Dec 15 2004 Anchor

what type of weapons and vehicles will be on this mod?

--

User Posted Image

Dec 15 2004 Anchor

Pxtl, do you actually know anything about ut2k4 modding? if you do i and the other bf40k scripter would be very appreciative of the help:) its just we looked at it and it seems kinda difficult.
thanks

We will hopefully be porting to bf2 as soon as possible...support and servers for bf1942 are running kind of thin:(

bf40kadmin
Dec 15 2004 Anchor

There is one type of unit within Warhammer 40,000 that can do quick teleportation hit and run attacks.

Eldar Warp Spiders, whether it is technically feasible to create this kind of unit is a mystery.

MOHAA look on the creation list.

Infantry weapons for space marines

Bolt Pistol, Boltgun, Storm Bolter(combine two bolguns together) & Heavy Bolter- Fires small rocket propelled bullets that explode on impact.

Power Sword (unlike most other BF1942 mods this mod you can destroy vehicles with close combat weapons)

Imperial Guard
Laspistol, Lasgun & Lasercannon - Laser weapons

Super heavy Tanks

Shadowsword (Anti Titan tank), Baneblade

Titans (Gigantic sized walkers)

Thats just a small snipet of some of the weapons, but almost everything is based upon the Warhammer 40,000 universe.

Look at games workshop and forgeworld.

--

User Posted Image

The_MOHAA_Master
Dec 15 2004 Anchor

Nice those are tight weapons and vehicles I will really look into getting this mod!

--

User Posted Image

Pxtl
Pxtl Lord of the Files
Dec 15 2004 Anchor

bf40k_Magus wrote: Pxtl, do you actually know anything about ut2k4 modding? if you do i and the other bf40k scripter would be very appreciative of the help:) its just we looked at it and it seems kinda difficult.
thanks

We will hopefully be porting to bf2 as soon as possible...support and servers for bf1942 are running kind of thin:(

Sorry, I only dabbled in it on UT - but it seems to be a pretty standard Java-style OOP class structure. I was able to make some fun custom weapons within a few hours of starting, and ended up making a simple rocketpack-assisted Instagib mutator. But that was UT - UT2k4 is very similar though, from what I've looked at. Besides, I don't have the time to join any new projects. Good luck to you guys either way.

There's apparently a full integrated nagware-based IDE called WOTGreal.

nl
nl
Dec 16 2004 Anchor

I've been telling Magus for a while it isn't that hard he's just got this phobia of curly brackets :P

Dec 16 2004 Anchor

Hey, seriously you guys should think about using the BattleField Vietnam engine. It's basicly the same thing, just revamped and better. Its more efficient. Its also more moddable...
snow

--

Conflict: Middle East

Moddb Snowblower

Dec 16 2004 Anchor

nah, there wouldnt be much point seeing as we are gonna move straight to bf2 anyway as soon as it comes out, wed have to convert lots of code, there is already another 40k mod on bfv, not all the team have bfv, the extra features in bfv dont really apply to 40k, more people play bf42...the list goes on

Dec 17 2004 Anchor

snowguy_2006 wrote: Hey, seriously you guys should think about using the BattleField Vietnam engine. It's basicly the same thing, just revamped and better. Its more efficient. Its also more moddable...
snow

The Nam engine is sluggish compared to the 42 engine.

Anyway BF2 is rumoured to be shipping with an SDK so that should make things better and more moddable.

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.