Forum Thread
ATi 4.12 Drivers (Forums : Tech Support : ATi 4.12 Drivers) Locked
Thread Options
1nf1n1ty87
1nf1n1ty87 Will Code For Coke
Jan 2 2005 Anchor

I have an ATi Radeon 9600XT 128MB card and i previously upgraded my 4.9 ATi drivers to the recent 4.12's (cleaning the old drivers with Driver Cleaner 3 before applying the new drivers). My Aquamark score has increased from 28000 to 31000 which is quite a push regarding the card and is now only 9000 behind the 9800 Pro 128MB and i'm quite impressed, the only problem i have been noticing is that when i minimise an application .e.g. Battlefield 1942 or Operation Flashpoint, it won't maximise again and reverts back to the desktop. Has anyone else discovered any problems with the drivers. I know my card isn't as beefy as the 6800 series or the X800's but for my purposes it's quite fine, and i wouldn't complain at 70fps on Battlefield 1942 with all the bells and whistles on it would you? And anyway, i only bought Half Life 2 for the Source engine, programmers are such nerds at times... :)

Dragonlord
Dragonlord Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue
Jan 2 2005 Anchor

why-tf are programmers such nerds?

Edited by: Dragonlord

1nf1n1ty87
Jan 2 2005 Anchor

Dragonlord wrote: why-tf are programmers such nerds?

I wasn't making a general comment about all programmers, it was meant to be a self directed joke, after which you were supposed to laugh heartily. And that kind of language was not needed thank you.

Edited by: 1nf1n1ty87

Jan 2 2005 Anchor

I dont know about your problem exactally, but I found downloading the 4.11's and then upgrading too the4.12's resolves a lot of issues. Also be sure to use driver cleaner when uninstalling drivers.

--

User Posted Image
I LOVE You
FUH-Q

1nf1n1ty87
Jan 4 2005 Anchor

I found that the 4.12's provided a lovely spped increase when playing titles such as Battlefield 1942, Vietnam and Half Life 2 as there was just over a 10 fps increase in the Stress Test which i'm impressed about. Nvidia still owns the market though, my next card will be a 6 series for sure.

Jan 4 2005 Anchor

And the funny thing is, I understood everything In1n1ty posted O_o

--

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster."
- Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146

1nf1n1ty87
Jan 4 2005 Anchor

Karuto wrote: And the funny thing is, I understood everything In1n1ty posted O_o

What, really? ;) Heh heh, are you an ATi fan or an Nvidia fan? I must admit, i'm going GeForce next whether i like it or not, although the new ATi Radeon X850 has pipped Nvidia this time, they'll only come back harder though with the first of the 7 series! Either that or you could have 2 6800 Ultras with SLi!

Jan 4 2005 Anchor

I'm an ATi fan. I have a much better video card coming in the mail from FedEX tomorrow, along with a bigger and better computer :D

I'm getting the ATi Radeon 9800SE. So, compared to my 9600, that's a nice little boost :D

I think you have to change other things in your computer in order to run a video card (Motherboard, I do believe, is also something that pertains to video cards). So, I don't think I'll be switching competitors anytime soon.

--

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster."
- Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146

1nf1n1ty87
Jan 4 2005 Anchor

The 9800 SE is basically a 9800 Pro with 4 pipelines disabled although using the Omega drivers it's possible to unlock the other four to create a Pro on the cheap but that is not always the case, the clocks shouldbe around 270MHz for core and around the same for Memory which is weaker than 500MHz for core and 650MHz for the 4 pipelined 9600XT, i had a 9800SE and downgraded to a 9600XT because it was better, now i'm investing into some cooling for my PC as i'm going to run this one into the ground for a couple of years and then O/C it.

Jan 4 2005 Anchor

I currently have an x800xt PE, so I'm set for at least this year. I'm an Ati fan myself, and I couldn't see going Nvidia unless I saw they they have a big lead over Ati. They usually stay on par with each other though.

@Karuto: Motherboard doesn't matter for which videocard brand you buy. Your motherboard (the one your getting)supports only AGP cards, so you can buy any AGP card. PCI-E looks like it'll start taking over within the next year or so.

--

User Posted Image
I LOVE You
FUH-Q

deathmedic3rd
deathmedic3rd Metal Head
Jan 4 2005 Anchor

i've had the 4.12 beta drivers since before hl2 was released

--

running a hot rodded mac mini

1nf1n1ty87
Jan 5 2005 Anchor

GUNrunNER wrote:
PCI-E looks like it'll start taking over within the next year or so.

Currently PCI-E doesn't have any real advantages over AGP and to be honest i can't see myself upgrading for at least another couple of years as i'm going to run my current system into the ground and then start anew, 64 bit also doesn't have the power it could have giving the fact that Microsoft can't get their arse in gear and build Longhorn.

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.