Forum Thread
3-D Modeling question (Forums : General Banter : 3-D Modeling question) Locked
Thread Options
GFJ
GFJ
Jan 14 2005 Anchor

Does anybody know a good 3-D modeling Application for Mac OS X?

leilei
leilei The person who doesn't like anything
Jan 14 2005 Anchor

Blender.org

:D

--

<  insert subject games here  >

TheRambo
TheRambo Hello.
Jan 14 2005 Anchor

and for tutorials
www.blender3d.org

--

OMG it's teh Raaaaammmbooo!!!

Lomo93901
Lomo93901 Get back to work!
Jan 14 2005 Anchor

I think there's version of Maya for macs.

GFJ
GFJ
Jan 14 2005 Anchor

Yo thanks, i'll look at these sites...

mr.spammer
mr.spammer More Than A Woman
Jan 14 2005 Anchor

check out the carrara range, it's meant to be quite good

Eovia.com

TheRambo
TheRambo Hello.
Jan 14 2005 Anchor

lomo wrote: I think there's version of Maya for macs.

really? i never knew that... well if i were u, gfj, id go with maya then :)

--

OMG it's teh Raaaaammmbooo!!!

GFJ
GFJ
Jan 14 2005 Anchor

Ok... I propably will...

leilei
Jan 14 2005 Anchor

But Maya costs, and Blender has good support and compact size on disk and memory, and totally free though, plus we have plenty of blenderheads around here.

Edited by: leilei

--

mr.spammer
mr.spammer More Than A Woman
Jan 14 2005 Anchor

I really need to knuckle down and learn how to model, for a n00b what would be the easiest *free* modelling program for me to use?

Wilhelm_III
Wilhelm_III Who the hell do I think I am?
Jan 14 2005 Anchor
leilei
Jan 14 2005 Anchor

mr.spammer wrote: I really need to knuckle down and learn how to model, for a n00b what would be the easiest *free* modelling program for me to use?

See second post of this thread.

--

GFJ
GFJ
Jan 14 2005 Anchor

Thanks for all the great Info! :D
I think I'll go with Blender, since as Cheapalert said there are many blenders around here so I can pose questions... But I'll try all programs as time flys by... :)

ShadowDragon
ShadowDragon ShadowLore Co-Leader & Modeler
Jan 14 2005 Anchor

Wilhelm_III wrote: Softimage

Xsi doesn't run on OSX. I would reccomend Blender, mainly because that's what I use and love, but also because there's several of us around here who can help you with it anytime you need it. And it has a great community at www.elysiun.com .
Or if you don't want to go with Blender, Maya is also a good choice. It's very powerful, and has good support. But! It's VERY expensive, unless of course you go with the PLE version. Which personally I've found to be a bitch to work with. Not sure how it compares to the commercial version though.
And of course there is Wings 3D. Wings3d.com It's another open-source modeler like Blender.

--

ShadowLore profile: Moddb.com

Lomo93901
Lomo93901 Get back to work!
Jan 14 2005 Anchor

3D studio Max also has a mac version.

And it really makes sense, since apple computers were originally created for graphics and music production.

ShadowDragon
Jan 14 2005 Anchor

Sorry Lomo, but I have to contridict you. There is NO mac version of any of Discreet's software. Period.

--

GFJ
GFJ
Jan 14 2005 Anchor

I guess I'm going to try Blender... it seems the best by now (Maya is too expensive). Thanks again...

ShadowDragon
Jan 14 2005 Anchor

Hope you like it :D The main thing you'll probably not like at first is the interface. Alot of first-time users say it's very unintuitive and strange. Which is partially true, until you get used to it. But once you start figuring out how it's set up, i'ts VERY intuitive, and VERY fast to work with. So just stick with it :)

--

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.