Year is 817 After Settlement (A.S.), 16 years after the single-player campaign of Freelancer, and one year after Discovery 4.84 took place. A Sirius-wide war is on the brink of engulfing the sector. While Kusari pushes its onslaught against Bretonia deep into the Leeds system, Bretonia attempts to surround Kusari forces in Tau-31. Liberty attacks Rheinland in Bremen and Hudson, and Rheinland has to pull back to defend its own borders. As if this was not enough, in late 817 the Independent Miners Guild encountered a large number unknown ships in the Orkney system. The ships belonged to a rebel group formed within the long-lost House of Gallia, the existence of which remained unknown for centuries; creation of a path into Gallia adds a new, powerful, player to the scene. Rumors arise that the nation of France was betrayed during the Exodus, making historians and politicians of various Houses search deep into archives to find out what truly happened more than 1000 years ago in Sol.
- Download Discovery485.zip.flmod and save it anywhere on your PC.
- Install Freelancer Mod Manager (FLMM) v1.31 if you haven't already - you can download FLMM from this page, Useful Goodies section.
- Double-click Discovery485.zip.flmod and wait until it unpacks. If .flmod extension is not identified, choose FLMM manually to open the file.
- After unpacking is complete, select Discovery 4.85 in FLMM mod browser, press "Activate", and choose setup options you prefer (it's safe to leave default values). DO NOT enable ENBSeries mod unless you are sure that you have a powerful system that supports it.
- Launch Freelancer and enjoy playing in single or multi-player mode!
List of new features in Discovery 4.85:
- 79 brand new player-flyable ships with custom models;
- About 30 previously added ships received new, custom-designed models;
- 11 new systems in 4.85: Languedoc, Dauphine, Burgundy, Champagne, Lorraine (Gallia); Pennsylvania, Kansas, Ellesmere (Liberty); Tau-39 (Border Worlds); Omicron-81 (Hispania); Unknown system (Nomad Worlds).
- About 30 existing systems received significant updates in 4.85, including Alaska, Alberta, Baffin, Bremen, Cassini, Coronado, Dundee, Frankfurt, Illinois, Londonderry, Minnesota, Munich, Okinawa, Omega-52, Omega-54, Omega-56, Omega-58, Omicron-80, Omicron-91, Omicron-94, Omicron-99, Omicron Iota, Ontario, Orkney, Tau-42, Tau-45, Vespucci;
- 11 new factions, most with their own NPCs and ship lines: Gallic Royal Navy, Gallic Royal Police, Council, Gallic Metal Service, EFL Oil & Machinery, IDF Shipping, Maquis, Unione Corse, Gallic Brigands, The Coalition, Colonial Remnant;
- Over 100 new weapons introduced, many of them having custom models and effects;
- 46 new commodities introduced, with multiple new trade routes;
- 53 new role-playing IDs introduced;
- Customized NPCs on many new bases, NPCs in Gallia have newly designed costumes;
- About 7,000 infocard texts added or rewritten for 4.85, including lengthy news texts and descriptions.
- Revised and detailed Readme.txt and other mod documentation, added the new Discovery system map.
- Included the Discovery automatic updater with an integrated list of Discovery multiplayer servers.
- Introduction of a new house: Gallia, with its own lawful and unlawful factions, and 5 densely populated systems with over 40 bases to explore.
- Fully formulated history of the new House which is embedded in the ongoing and dynamic discovery chronology/history, including rumors on new and old bases, faction adjustments, political adjustments and behaviour of interacting factions;
- Dynamical adjustments concerning the war between Kusari and Bretonia;
- Political adjustments concerning Rheinland and Liberty;
- Many detailed news items present on all bases to reflect storyline developments.
- Adjustments to NPC AI and repair abilities;
- Rebalanced NPC loadouts and difficulty;
- New NPC behaviour that allows friendly fire (CDs do not cause instant aggression from allied NPCs anymore);
- New wrecks and lore;
- New NPC mission difficulties to reflect a better adjusted difficulty level and to provide more challenges to even high ranks;
- Changed reputation relations between various factions to ensure smooth player reputation development.
- Unique and accurate hitboxes (collision & weapon fire hits) for almost all the ships, old and new;
- Fully revised fighter and bomber weapons along with new weapons for these classes;
- Fully revised capital ship rebalanced based on player specifications;
- Rebalanced weaponry for all ship classes;
- Revised special weapons on capital ships (ship to ship torpedoes, flak cannons);
- Rebalanced damage on explosives;
- Rebalanced vulnerability of all ships to achieve equal vulnerability across old and custom ships;
- Revised equipment (CMs, CDs, Mines, etc.) along with durability, efficiency and functions;
- Revamped capital ship patrols are now more appropriately balanced towards their supposed power.
Enhanced Trade System:
- Enhanced commodity system with many new items based on the House economy as well as role-play demands;
- Fully revised and rebalanced trade route system based on logical offer and demand as well as logical placements of commodities;
- Adjustments on profit, danger, flight time, political changes to reflect a complex economy;
- Graphically enhanced commodity icons for a better differentiation.
- New weapon projectile and weapon impact effects;
- Large and detailed explosions for ships;
- New custom models for guns, turrets, and other equipment;
- Optional ENB mod that enables bloom (please read documentation and DO NOT enable it unless you are sure what you are doing).
*FLMM is unable to remove ENB mod during de-activation. You will have to remove d3d8.dll from the freelancer/EXE folder manually.
Testing, Bug Fixing, Performance:
- Fixed a number of bugs remaining from the last release;
- During 9 months of internal testing and 3 months of public testing, fixed multiple bugs related to new features;
- Thoroughly tested balance for both old and new ships and equipment;
- Ensured maximum clientside and serverside performance, fixed multiple graphic-related issues.
Before you start:
- Discovery updater is now integrated with Freelancer.exe file. Do not use DSUpdate.exe to launch the game, use Freelancer.exe instead. For online play, your firewall needs to be configured to allow Freelancer.exe to access serverside updater files.
- Using custom shortcuts, Global Server Workaround and other ways to connect to servers is no longer necessary. All Discovery server addresses are stored in dsupdate.cfg file found in Freelancer\EXE folder. You can easily add new servers to this file.
- FLMM is unable to remove ENB Bloom mod during de-activation if it was enabled. You will have to remove d3d8.dll from the Freelancer/EXE folder manually. By default, ENB option is disabled; please do not enable it if you are not sure what you are doing.
- It is not recommended to install any other mods or patches prior to and after Discovery activation. 1.1 official patch is included into the mod.
- If Discovery won't activate properly in FLMM, your Freelancer installation is most probably corrupt. Reinstall Freelancer, and FLMM, if necessary.
- Open SP is now always enabled, Campaign SP has been removed for compatibility reasons. Attempts to load campaign save files will result in errors.
- Setting up serverside mod options works only if you run the server. If you do not, these options will have no effect; please leave them default.
- Do not forget to transfer internal equipment (ID and scanner) each time when you buy a new ship.
- ID items present in Discovery act as tractor beams. Civilian IDs are available for purchase from every base (500 credits).
- If your large ship gets stuck while undocking from certain space stations, try moving backward and strafing, use thruster, or log off and on again.
- If you are automatically kicked from multiplayer servers, check your ship loadout for equipment that's no longe mountable on this ship.
- Make sure your cruise speed never exceeds 350 (Discovery limit). If it does, reinstall the mod.
- Refer to Readme.txt file if you need help and more information. Read server rules if you play on multiplayer servers. And, last but not least, enjoy the game!
Navigation map can be viewed here: Igiss.net