This bulletin is coming out a little bit early this week, because my semester is coming to an end and projects are piling up. Yay for higher education!
In any case, a few big tasks got tackled this week. Last week, I showed off the partial set of snow cliffs. The set isn't complete quite yet, but I did a bunch more of them. They still need a bit of a cleanup to match the cliff fronts better, but at this point it's fine tuning rather than outright replacing, and that makes it a lot easier. They also make it easier for me to transition into making the water and ice versions, both of which are much needed for the snow theatre.
It'll be even better when we have more than just snow tiles to work with.
I've been trying out the snow theatre, and am already nearly finished a map. It's not a great map, but it is helping me to highlight issues with the theatre as it stands. One of the most glaring issues was the lack of trees. We'd converted the pine set which was made for the temperate theatre, but it was looking pretty bad just directly converted for snow. Instead, I've rendered a new set of trees from the same source models as the temperate set. This means we can now add some further environment to snow maps.
Returning to the subject of terrain, over a year ago I resurrected work on an interior theatre. Crashking led the effort a long time ago, but didn't get much further than nailing down a colour scheme and producing a set of ground tiles. I've taken the project a little further than that, and this week I finally put together the cliff set. The cliff set has all the basic required pieces at this point, but lacks a few of the interesting edge-case ones, and lacks the various blends. it definitely needs a black-topped set, and I'm inclined to do a water set too. The use I foresee is almost exclusively campaign, hence their not being worked on nearly as much as a lot of skirmish necessary stuff. The aim is for a set which can portray large underground facilities.
Above is the 'standard' interior set. I'm already hard at work putting together the two other interior styles. The first is designed for maintenance tunnels and back areas which are not intended for frequent human use. The second will be clean, for use in laboratories, offices and whatnot. My intention at the moment is for the interior theatre to be used for underground science facility and nuclear silos and the like, so I'm not going too far beyond these three styles for the moment, but the 'basic' concrete and the laboratory sets will be easy to expand for further uses.
This is the maintenance tunnel tileset in progress. I intend for it to be a much more limited tileset, with only a fade-to-black top version and perhaps not even a water version. It will be worked on whenever I feel like it, since it's hardly a priority.
Maps are sort of a priority though. I've been working on Provinces, which I talked about in a previous update and is precipitously close to being completed. Morpher has made a map called DM: Gloom (3), which is a tiberium rich environment plagued by lifeforms.
And that's (most of) what we've been up to this week.