Barbarian Empires: Hellenistic Legacy 1.0.3 is released!
Main download link on ModDB updated
It has been a long time since crazyroman and me released a standalone addon Barbarian Empires: Hellenistic Legacy
Time to change this! The new version contains all the nice additions from Lanjane's Barbarian Empires 1.04 and WIP 1.05, and also offers tons of its own benefits, such as overhauled AOR and economy, carefully thought-out additional provincial campaign, wooden walls from DTW, culture system known from XGM, lots of new units and tons of other improvements!
Main download link: Hellenistic Legacy 1.03
This is a fully modfoldered mod working on RTW-ALX.exe only. Installation is simple: copy NL_2 modfolder to Rome - Total War folder, and run the provided NL_2/Start Hellenistic Legacy.bat file to run the mod.
It is HIGHLY recommended to install music addon Rome: Total Music to have the best experience playing this mod. Link to the download and installation instruction is here: Rome: Total Music
The new version is not savegame compatible with previous release saves.
Full changelog is listed below, describing all the improvements since latest release 05.06.19
New wooden walls from DTW!
- Instead of the 2nd vanilla tier walls now there are the new DTW wooden walls with siege engines etc. Note: Thanks to Suppanut for helping out with this.
- Stone walls and large stone walls now look different for some cultures.
- Last tier epic stone walls have been removed.
- Added full support of "religion" from BI as a cultures mechanics (seen in other mods like XC, XGM, DTW and others)
- Added various traits related to culture/religion mechanics and colony buildings which allow converting to your culture
- Added RTWE provincial campaign from Lanjane's Barbarian Empires, with a new culture system fully implemented and improved garrisons diversity!
- Added complex mechanics based on trade and taxes global bonuses and penalties (described in article on ModDB here: Trade Hubs and new economy mechanics
- Added new recruitment mechanics where multiple buildings are required for recruiting units. See more here: Colony Recruitment feature in Hellenistic Legacy
- Added various new buildings: Granaries, Tribal/Elder Council, Trade Hubs, Recruitment Phases based on colonies etc.
- Added info in building descriptions about additional factionwide capabilities
- Shortened battle UI tooltips
- New featuring macedonian unit: Aspidophoroi Hetairoi, armed with sword and javelins
- Indian AOR: Indo-Greek Hoplites, Indian Spearmen, Indian Archers, Indian Elephants, Gandharan Cavalry (available for everyone in India)
- New barbarian units: Mercenary Noble barbarian swordsmen, available in various places (Gaul, Galatia etc), Noble Swordsmen (Gaul); Getic skirmishers, AOR peltast unit available to Dacia, Thrace, Scythia, Germans, Pontus, free peoples; Celtogermanic Cavalry, heavy skirmisher cavalry for Gauls, Germans, Dacia, Thrace, Britons, Celtiberians, Romans (as auxiliaries) and rebels; Levy Slingers (germanic militia unit, available to Germans and Rebels)
- Thracian AOR: Thracian Noble Cavalry (Available to Thrace, rebels); Hellenothracian Phalangitai (Thrace); Thracian Noble Falxmen (available to Thrace and Rebels)
- Illyrian AOR: Illyrian Infantry, Illyrian Brigands, Illyrian Hoplites (available to Greek Cities, Rebels, Thrace, Macedon, Gauls, Dacia in illyrian regions)
- Eastern and Syrian AOR: "Eastern" levy phalangitai with outdated equipment - old style phrygian helmet. Available in the east, Syrian Spearmen, AOR infantry unit available for Seleucid, Carthage, Egypt, Pontus, Armenia, Parthia, Numidia and free peoples; Baktrian Agema Hoplites (Baktria)
- Iberian AOR: Scutarii Spearmen, AOR infantry unit available for Spain, Carthage, Numidia, Gauls, roman factions, free peoples and Greek Cities; Heavy Spearmen; Iberian Heavy Cavalry; Asturian Axemen
- Elite macedon infantry: The Peltasts and Agema of the Peltasts, two units specific for Philip V warfare period (Macedon)
- Desert AOR: Gaetulian Infantry, Garamantine Infantry, Tribal Spearmen, Tribal Clansmen (Numidia, Rebels), Desert Tribesmen (mercenaries)
- Egyptian AOR: Machimoi Archers, Machimoi Infantry, Machimoi Thureophoroi (replacing Nile Pikemen, available to Seleucids, Egypt, Macedon, Numidia, Greeks, Rebels, Carthage), Meroite Guard
- Greek AOR: Ionian Hoplites, Epilektoi Hoplites, Greek Colonists Militia, Pergamene Hetairoi (mercenaries), Aetolian Cavalry (available to Greek, rebels, Macedon, Thrace)
- Italian AOR: Samnite Spearmen, Samnite Warriors (mercenaries)
- Multi-purpose hellenistic units: Thureophoroi, Hemithorakitai (chainmail using thureophoroi), Hypaspists (Baktria, Egypt)
- Fixed bug with Gandharan Cavalry appearing in armies of eastern rebels in campaign
- Fixed minor bug with the recruitment of Legionaries
- Fixed a few issues with Suppanut's battle formations
- Fixed missing voice for Illyrian Brigands
- Fixed bug with regular arrows making damage to siege engines
- Fixed bug with villages in campaign where wrong rebels and culture were set
- Rendered correct sprites for carthaginian light officer (scutarius officer)
- A couple unit description fixes
- Complete overhaul of AOR for units, with all region requirements carefully handpicked by crazyroman, now unit recruitment makes much more sense!
- Removed early bodyguards from all factions, now they all use late ones (due to it was unfair to make non-roman factions have to rely on roman reforms)
- Better AI of archers (they now have lower attack but AP attribute, so they take highly armored targets as a priority now, not avoid them like it was before)
- Better attack of archers
- Better attack, mass and anti-mount bonuses of phalanx units
- Rebalanced armor values to more accurately represent actual unit looks
- Gastraphetes units now use animation from BI (weapon in right hand) and are slightly more effective
- Improved stamina of all units so they won't become tired so quickly now
- Decreased heat penalties for units
- Faster generals horses and heavy horses
- Fixed scorpions not shooting bug
- Removed a lot of cheap bonuses from buildings to make campaign harder
- Added a lot of new rebel unit types and assigned AOR recruitment of these units to slave faction
- Scythian female units now have skin variants for Germans, Britons and rebels. Those factions can recruit them in eastern part of the map, and at the last tier of military buildings recruitment becomes unlimited (AOR units become regular ones). This both makes higher tier military usable and solves the issue of replenishing losses of your units in late game.
- Some barbarian factions now share units from neighboring barbarian tribes as AOR options. For example: Falxmen, Noble Falxmen, Dacian Warguard, Getae Horse Archers now available to Germans if they conquer Dacia
- Costs fixes: Higher cost for ports; Tweaked costs for some units
- Rebalanced shield values for all units to improve battle balance
- Rebel faction renamed to Minor Civilizations, added a new faction symbol for them
- Scythian Guard unit now throws javelins and uses axe in melee
- Added rebel versions of: Scythian Guard, Eastern bodyguard cavalry, Scythian bodyguards
- Added Greek Cities version of Thorakitai unit
- Added Seleucid version for Syrian Infantry
- Improved diversity of some rebel armies appearing in the campaign
- Adjusted the stats of Legionaries, First Cohort Legionaries and Armored Legionaries to be different correctly
- Removed various units to keep rosters more compact and historical
- Overhaul of Garamantine Warriors (changed unit class, added visible javelins)
- Overhaul of Cretan Archers and added small shield
- Overhaul of Samnite Mercenaries (Samnite Warriors). Added javelins and bigger shield
- Overhaul of Greek Archers (added small shield)
- Overhaul of Chosen Archers (now 3 different units with different stats, looks and availability)
- Added longshield skirmishers for other barbarians, not just Dacia
- Improved quality of a lot of existing units skins, UIs and models
- Adjusted models for post-marian roman soldiers, including various small tweaks and improvements like better swords, shoulderpads etc.
- Improved models of Hoplites, Militia Hoplites and mercenary Thorakitai
- New civilian models/skins for battlemap view of the settlements
- Fixed some minor issues with models and skins
- New look/overhaul for a lot of units: Elite Skirmishers (Dacia), Armored Legionaries, Legionary Cohort, Legionary First Cohort, Triarii, Hastati, Vigiles, Praetorian Cohort, greek heavy peltasts (Euzonoi), Celtic Essedae (chariots), Merc Phalangitai, Seleucid Silver Shield Agema (Argyraspid Thorakitai), Greek Epicletes, Pontic Bronze Shields, Ptolemaic Basileus Agema, Auxiliary Archers, barbarian warlord for Britons, Gauls, Rebels, hellenistic bodyguards
- New skins for carthaginian light officer (scutarius officer): romans, Greeks, Gauls
- Thracian musician officer for thracian units
- Improved model of greek officer (greek captain), fixed shield clipping issue
- Fixed some minor issues with models and skins