The stand-alone mod S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Anomaly aims to be the most stable and customizable experience for fans of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games. It's powered by the Monolith 64-bit engine, a custom fork of the X-Ray engine.
Fixes the horrible sound quality of Anomaly by making sure OpenAL configuration is ok on your computer, by disabling HRTF, and changing Anomaly custom openAL config for a deeper sound and still ok 3D sounds.
Anomaly has an horrible sound quality since HRFT has been introduced. You can notice it especially if you have a good sound setup (I noticed it very easily with my iFi DSD Nano Black Label + HD6XX combo).
Anomaly suffers the same problem as what is seen on this video:
Everything feels muffled and pitched relatively high, the game's sound is missing deepness somehow.
This addon fixes it by making sure you have a proper configuration of OpenAl on your computer (mainly to increase quality and set values to default) and by changing Anomaly OpenAl configs.
I paid a particular attention to keep a good 3D soundstage despite the removal of HRTF by tweaking the crossfeed parameter.
Everything is described the README.txt file, but let's add it here too, it's very easy to setup, only step 4 is required for the add-on to work most likely (other steps are to make sure OpenAL is correctly configured on your computer):
0. You can use Mod Organizer 2 to load this archive. This should do the trick.
1. If you don't use MO2, extract the archive somewhere and load copy paste the bin folder (which contains alsoft.ini file) to your Anomaly folder. Replace files if asked to (backup files are provided with the .back extension).
DON'T copy the bin folder from openAL (which contains Win32 and Win64 folders).
Just to be sure, you can also follow these extra steps to modify your computer openal soft configuration (can affect other games!). This is optional and could give a better result in Anomaly, but might also screw up the sound in other games !
2. Double click on openal-soft-1.21.1-bin/alsoft-config/alsoft-config.exe of this mod archive.
3. Configure the Playback and HRTF panels according to the picture Config.png (see below).
4. Click "Apply" now close OpenAL Soft Configuration.
Enjoy a much deeper and better sound and spatialisation.
None detected yet but I have a beefy computer (10700KF + RTX 3070 + 32Gb RAM). Reducing the quality sliders might help if you have sound delays or frame rate loss.
Thanks to Kennedith for pointing me out the right direction.
1.1.1 : made the archive compatible with Mod Organizer 2