Half-Payne latest update brings iconic Ingrams, more Max Payne soundtracks and custom game modes.
This devastating submachine gun was one of the must fun to use in the original Max Payne games and now it comes to Half-Payne. Ingram is (in)famous for insane rate of fire and terrible accuracy, and in Half-Payne it uses the same ammo pool as MP5 and Berettas, so use is wisely. The best use case is as an alternative to shotgun. Just like Berettas, Ingrams can be dual wielded and have the same approach when it comes to shoot and reloading animations - only the gun that has ammo in the magazine will shoot and the only gun that will be reloaded is one that actually needs it. It's very fun to use and doesn't feel unbalanced compared to other weapons. The picture below shows locations where you can find Ingram.
MAX PAYNE SOUNDTRACKS
The idea came to me about a week before the release. I remembered the complain long time ago that there could be more Max Payne music, so I decided to fill most of the game with it. Most of tracks and ambience are from Max Payne 3, because the original game didn't have much to include. You can hear Killer Suits from Max Payne 1 at the beginning of video above and it's actually played in this particular moment, so music slowmotion effects described in the previous article apply here.
I think the reason why this wasn't done before is because I didn't want to derail from the original Half-Life too much, but let's be honest: there are only a couple of titular Half-Life tracks that are worth it, which is simillar to Max Payne 1 lack of notable tracks, and Half-Payne has derailed from Half-Life enough to be considered as it's own thing, so I stopped caring about this too much.
(to be honest I still feel weird about Half-Life/Max Payne/1/3 music mix, they all have very distinctive styles which makes me think that Half-Payne as a mod is just not sure what it wants to be)
New entity has been implemented that allows to end Custom Game Mode sessions by activating and touching this GOAL marker. Inspired by Metal Gear Solid 2 VR Missions, the idea was proposed in the previous article to add more variety for short custom game modes. It feels more smooth making player run to the goal instead of ending the session instantly. Another good use for GOAL marker is to direct player to the arbitary place. GOAL marker can be placed with custom game mode configs and activated by specifying a set of conditions that player has to meet.
Thanks a lot to my buddy Kiori-tan for making the requested mesh, despite it being a simple one, I'm always glad when this kind of work can be delegated so I can focus on other things.
KennyGilberto250 suggested help with providing spanish subtitles for Half-Payne, which required me to implement support for multiple subtitle languages. These are included in this update and you can switch to them in advanced options or with 'subtitles_language sp' cvar.
NEW GAMEPLAY MODS AND SECTIONS FOR CUSTOM GAME MODE CONFIGS
Another new batch of custom game modes came in with this update, most interesting ones are highlighted:
Several fixes were made to existing gameplay mods:
- no_walking: fix water pushing player even when there's no current or movement input
- superhot: holding jump button now only speeds up the time for a short span.
- superhot: fix incorrect counting of real time.
- weapon_push_back: fix not working when utilised with bullet_physics_constant.
New config sections include:
- [end_conditions], which allows to setup several quotas that have to be met by whatever you specify: killing certain monsters, activating triggers etc. Unfortunately, saving the game with [end_conditions] is not supported at the moment.
- [teleport], which can move the player to specified location on current map.
- [entity_remove], which can remove entities, including brush-based ones.
- [music_stop], which stops current music playback with smooth fade out.
Config sections changes and fixes:
- [entity_spawn] config section now allows to spawn: monster_human_grunt_shotgun, monster_human_grunt_grenade_launcher, monster_tripmine, monster_barnacle
- [entity_use] config section now can be used to activate triggers.
- Custom Game Mode config hash now doesn't depend on [name], [description], [sound], [music], [playlist], [max_commentary] config sections. Hash also doesn't depend anymore on line order. In other words, gameplay configs with the same gameplay mods but various descriptions and non-gameplay stuff etc. ARE CONSIDERED SAME.
- Spawns defined in [entity_spawn] config section now can and must be dispatced with proper hooking, not just implicitly on first map visit.
- game_text, target_cdaudio, button_target and Monster deaths that were not caused by player can now be hooked by custom game modes.
- Arguments specified in custom game mode configs will now preserve whitespaces if they're quoted.
- Fixed explosion kills being hooked two times instead of once.
- Fixed [intermission] config section causing cheat detection false positives.
OTHER MAJOR CHANGES AND FIXES
- Added some monster spawns to UNFORESEEN CONSEQUENCES, BLAST PIT and RESIDUAL PROCESSING chapters.
- Added some painkiller spawns to GONARCH'S LAIR chapter.
- Crosshair now changes it's appearance after kill is confirmed. This can be disabled by setting 'crosshair_kill_confirmed 0' in console or advanced options menu.
- Max now always starts with full slowmotion charge (previously you'd start with no charge in vanilla gamemode).
- Max is now not allowed to use slowmotion or diving if he has no suit.
- Tripmines that were initially put into the map now powerup almost instantly.
- Default ammo in the MP5 clip after picking it up is now 50 instead of 25.
- Picking up a new gun now doesn't give you additional ammo on top of that. For example, picking up the shotgun for the first time was giving you 8 / 12 shots, now it's just 8 / 0.
- God Mode is now applied after custom game mode session ends.
- Custom Game Mode menu now shows personal bests for ALL completed custom game modes.
- Creating sub-directories inside 'cgm_cfg', 'bmm_cfg' and 'sagm_cfg' will now show config files in them as separate categories in Custom Game Mode menu.
- ImGUI hack compatibility with Half-Life builds has been improved. It now MAY work on older no-steam builds.
- New ImGUI debug windows, which are activated by cvars: 'print_model_indexes 2', 'print_aim_entity 1' and 'print_player_info 1'.
- Fixed not being able to progress in PAIN% custom game mode due to dying after getting captured by grunts.
- Fixed satchels submerging underground after throwing them while being close to the wall.
- Fixed being able to tamper with Black Mesa Minute timer state by reloading save files after restarting the game and Black Mesa Minute game mode instance.
- Fixed being able to bypass painkiller and slowmotion flashing effects, and also fade out effect by setting 'hud_draw 0'.
- Fixed Max's commentary on picked up weapon being played when it was picked by using 'impulse 101' command.
- Fixed gauss beam splitting into two when using primary fire.
- Fixed real time still being counted when game is paused.
- Fixed original trigger_cdaudio and target_cdaudio not working when restarting the game and loading the save file with these not yet activated entities.
- Fixed Nihilanth's death flares not being set to additive, which results in them having a dark square background. (ZikShadow)
- Fixed xspark4 sprite having odd square semi-transparent background, the sprite is used by one of the beams in Questionable Ethics. (ZikShadow)
- Fixed med cabinet duplicating itself in POWER UP chapter.
- Fixed player's physical bullets being shot from incorrect origin if cl_bobcyle cvar wasn't set to 0
I'd say this update is not really mindblowing but still feels important with bringing some more Max Payne stuff and also tools that will allow me to include more custom game mode scenarios, and more fixes/polishment. Unfortunately, almost the whole november has been wasted due to bad personal state, which means more stuff could get into this update.
I also want to thank everyone who voted for this mod so it managed to get into Top 100 this year, which also helped to get the Best Crossover award. This is very important for me because I aimed to get into Top 100 from the moment I released the Definitive Update. This award, despite not giving mod more attention, makes me know that time spent working was indeed worth it. If you really want to appreciate how much work went into all of it - how about you also try the first version ever released on JUN 12th 2016?
While it feels like Half-Payne is not getting more attention and people don't really record their experience with the mod, I don't let it to ruin my motivation yet. I still have several other crazy ideas in mind, some of them being mentioned long time ago, but still not implemented. Stay hooked! I'll get back to work in a couple of months and most likely make another article to show the new stuff. Teasers or WIPs may appear on my Twitter way before that. Here are several major scraps from my TODO list that I might work on:
- More short custom game mode scenarios: now I may have the opportunity to do it but didn't have enough time
- Twitch chat integration attempt
- Bring Heavy Machine Gun from Opposing Force
- Dual Deagles
- Quake-like rocket launcher behaviour
- Nightmare mod to replace everyone with Max Payne
- German Edition mod
- Gungame mod
- func_vehicle attempt
As usual I'm always open to suggestions and support. If you'd like to contribute for the mod, preferrably by mapping - contact me.