I want you to know that I am thinking to rebuild/port this mod for OpenRA.
As for people who do not know OpenRA:
"OpenRA is a Libre/Free Real Time Strategy project that recreates the classic Command & Conquer titles.We include recreations of C&C (Tiberian Dawn), C&C: Red Alert, and Dune 2000. These are not intended to be perfect copies, but instead combine the classic gameplay of the originals with modern improvements such as unit veterancy and the fog of war.OpenRA's primary focus is cross-platform multiplayer between Windows, OS X, and Linux; however, we include a number of single-player missions, and also support skirmish games against AI bots."
There are several reasons why to switch the engine:
- less problems with crashing
- better support for higher resolutions (supports pixel doubling)
- better performance (OpenRA is based on OpenGL)
- better support for OS after Win XP (Windows Vista/7/8/10, OS X, Linux) <- no need for any fixes
- cross-platform multiplayer
- bigger maps and more players in a match (imagine a big battle with 16 players for example)
- support for observer slots
- easier way to add new factions
- ability to choose teams, starting positions, AI personalities/difficulty and other settings.
- multiple production tabs like in RA2 and TW
- support for naval (gameplay and AI)
- the possibility to add new gameplay features to the engine
- OpenRA Tiberian Sun mod is still WIP
- We have to adapt to the OpenRA engine
- Additonal work (which would be worth if it gives you and me less problems :P )
- People won't like it because of reason XYZ
As for myself, it would be something fresh to work, as I can learn to do new things with it. But I don't know how people will react to this. So I'd like to hear some feedback and thoughts first about this.