The definitive gameplay enhancement mod for the GZDoom and Zandronum engines. Adds realistic gore, dismemberments, headshots, executions, lightning effects, particles, makes enemies smarter and harder, makes gun louder and beefier, and adds epic new boss battles.

Forum Thread
Release Candidate 9 Testing (Games : Doom : Mods : Brutal Doom : Forum : Bug reporting (Brutal Doom : Release Candidate 9 Testing) Locked
Thread Options 1 2 3
Mar 31 2019 Anchor

March 31 2019 Release Candidate 9

Mirror 1 (Google Drive)
Drive.google.com

Mirror 2 (Mediafire)
Mediafire.com

- Fixed bugs reported on RC8
- Axe revamped. New sprites, new alt fire, Dual Wield button throws it.
- New sprites for the sub-machinegun and machinegun reload.
- Reduced companion Marine chatter by 50%.
- Nerfed pinky attack range
- Zombies no longer attack other burning zombies to prevent bugs.
- There is a total of 9 functioning Deathmatch maps now (BDM01, BDM02, BDM03, BDM04, BDM05, BDM06, BDM08, BDM09, BDM10)

I believe all game-breaking bugs have been fixed. Cosmetic bugs are unlikely to be fixed.

EDIT: The barons and knights still bleed some red particles during headshot deaths, I am aware of that.

Edited by: Sergeant_Mark_IV

Mar 31 2019 This post has been deleted.
Apr 1 2019 Anchor

I discovered a new critical bug. Go to test map and pick up MP40 (Nazi/WW2 mp). After picking up and holding the gun, player will sink into the ground(kinda looks like crouching) whenever he moves from the weapons platform to the ground (and vice versa). Player becomes normal again when he changes weapon.

Apr 1 2019 Anchor

FYI Sarge:
I did some research on my own on the bug ReaperAA mentioned.
It's related to the jumping code in the Player.txt file when the player has the "SubMachineGunSelected"-token.

Edited by: Tomtefar1988

Apr 1 2019 Anchor

Thanks Sarge for fixing the Rocket Backblast bug killing AI Marines even when set to off.

I found 2 bugs in RC9:

I find that the SMGs (both single and dual wielded) still hurt and kill AI Marines while they are engaged in combat with the enemy, but not while outside of combat.

Also, the flamethrower (and probably mancubus alt fire cannon) kills AI Marines in the same way as the SMGs do, where they burn them to death if engaged with the enemy, but not while outside of combat.

Apr 1 2019 Anchor

On the weapon test map, I noticed that the m79 grenade launcher is unable to fire if the "Reload" key is pressed. This is for the binding under "Brutal Doom - Advanced Actions". If the default "Weapon Reload" binding near the top under "Controls" is used instead, there is no issue.

Doesn't seem to matter whether enable reload all weapons is on or off. Switching weapons away and then back to the grenade launcher will allow it to fire again.

Apr 2 2019 Anchor

FYI Sarge:
I did some research on my own on the bug ReaperAA mentioned.
It's related to the jumping code in the Player.txt file when the player has the "SubMachineGunSelected"-token.

Using your clue here I've had a look and compared the IsJumpin: parts of the DECORATE code within Player.txt.
All of the weapons have the same structure for this block (just with different sprites and actor names that correspond to the relevant weapon) except for the SubMGIsJumpin: block. It could be that a copy/paste error has occurred here. In order to make the SubMGIsJumpin: block have the same structure as the other weapons it would need to be as follows:

SubMGIsJumpin:
MAR6 A 3
NULL B 0 A_JumpIfInventory("GoSpecial", 1, "SpecialCheckerMoving")
NULL A 1 A_JumpIf (momZ != 0, "SubMGInAir")
Goto SubMGStandStill

Just tested it and this has fixed the issue for me.

Edited by: Korell

Apr 2 2019 Anchor

Mark its nice, but maybe you want to consider adding a second gut variant like previous brutal doom versions (until BD21RC3, including BD64) for BD21 gold.

Imgur.com (RC2 screenshot)

You only added the right variant to the rewritten gore system. It would add for some more variation.

Edited by: eviltechno

Apr 3 2019 Anchor

You are perfectly doing on that way Mark. Go on

Apr 4 2019 Anchor
ReaperAA wrote:

I discovered a new critical bug. Go to test map and pick up MP40 (Nazi/WW2 mp). After picking up and holding the gun, player will sink into the ground(kinda looks like crouching) whenever he moves from the weapons platform to the ground (and vice versa). Player becomes normal again when he changes weapon.

Also happens to my addon weapons. I was unsure whether if my code was faulty or is it because of an RC9 bug.
Apr 4 2019 Anchor

Very good job on this version indeed !

I had a remark to make about the Revenants fireballs, maybe it's intended or was already fixed, but in RC8 they would fire uber-fast rockets sometimes making them really hard to strafe-escape. While playing on the hardest difficulties, most of the time running with 20 or less health, it's almost impossible to advance in revenants parts of the levels...

Another remark about the Cyberdemons. They do have a mellee attack by cruching the player with their foot, and it's working as intended on the X radius (maybe 3 or 4 meters away maximum. My problem is that sometimes the Cyberdemon is above me on a wall for example, and I try to hide from his rockets by sticking to the wall and crouching, it makes me out of sight. But even if in the Y radius I'm not supposed to be reachable by melee, since i'm close enough in the X distance of 3-4 meters, he crushes me even if the wall is high (his foot is not supposed to get me down here), so sometimes I just can't escape his attacks.

Last thing, a suggestion for the Shotgun. I think it would be nice to make it so when you reload, you could cancel the reloading instantly when left clicking. I mean when i'm out, the time to reload the 8 shells is extended, and I know that when you click the reloading stops after the animation of pumping the shell in hand, but it's not instantly and you have to wait for it to be loaded. This way, when necessary to defend myself I could just rely on the reload sound to know how much ammo I can shoot when reloading and it would shoot right away instead of having to wait the last shell and adjust the aiming. i know it's just a detail but it would make a good difference while using this gun !

Thanks for removing the blood dripping (in a previous RC) !!! Now I can aim while crouching with less than 20 hps.

Keep up the good work, looking forward to finally play Extermination Day, I'm waiting for it to be finished to play it hahaha! Big up!!

Apr 4 2019 Anchor

AzoNa is right about the shotgun.

The shotgun is even missing something more important, which was even present in BD64.. (thought about making a new thread about this, but here we go) I know it from many other games including my other long time main game - Left 4 Dead:

When you are in shooting state (or pump state) you can send the "+reload" input and as soon the animation is finished, the gun would just reload without the need of a new input. It's there in Brutal doom 64 - tactical mode, but I couldn't figure which lines are responsible for that.

I wish it would be implemented for future releases.

Edited by: eviltechno

Apr 5 2019 Anchor
eviltechno wrote:

When you are in shooting state (or pump state) you can send the "+reload" input and as soon the animation is finished, the gun would just reload without the need of a new input. It's there in Brutal doom 64 - tactical mode, but I couldn't figure which lines are responsible for that.

I wish it would be implemented for future releases.

You can already interupt the pumping state at any point by pressing the reload button to relatively seamlessly transition into the reloading state.

Apr 5 2019 Anchor

the disable footsteps option does not disable all the fs sounds

walking through water

walking off ledges

jumping

Edited by: hennaoutfit

Apr 5 2019 Anchor

Bugs found (will update if I find anymore):

1. Select game mode menu is too wide and I can't see the skull to select my preferred mode.

2. When using the fists and performing an FPE, the player automatically switches back to the pistol. (sorta annoying when you're trying to lay on the beatdown with 2+ monsters...)

3. When using the fist and pressing dualwield to pick up a barrel, there is a small delay then it punches and insta-switches to the pistol. (without berserk pack) Suggestion: Make it so that you can pick them up and drop them, but can't throw them without berserk. Maybe move slower / faster too depending on berserk or not.

4. Not really a bug, but it does look kinda odd to have pistol slides automatically lock back on their own when reloading from only partially emptied magazines. Also, please add the "knuckle crack and load gun" sequence for the pistol. ;-)

5. Shotgun has to be pumped before being fired after using the Shotvolver. (automatically pumps when you switch to slamfire / zoom mode)

6. Main Battle Tank can still fire main gun after running out of ammo. Also attempting to fire the secondary autocannon when out of ammo causes the cannon barrel to mysteriously disappear... MBT seems sorta slower than it should be too...

7. Friendly Marines seem a bit too tough / invincible. I once saw one eat 2-3 Belphegor plasmaballs and survive, even Zombie MBT Main gun shells can't kill them.

8. Shotgun marine's dropped shotgun cannot be picked up.

9. Player magically gets 16 pistol bullets when taking a meatshield when he has no pistol bullets. Potentially understandable with some of the zombies (steal their handgun), but not with imps and nazis... (Granted, theres no good way to fix this without changing the pistol into an infinite ammo blaster like in Quake 2/4 or Doom 2016...)

10. Demon Morph is definitely broken somehow. (sometimes you don't morph, you lose your armor, etc.)

11. Green or Blue Armor reverts to the 33% bonus type after using gun emplacements or vehicles.

12. Friendly marines that don't follow you around like those manning the barricade in EDAY15 die with zombie death noises.

13. When slidekicking, you can blow up barrels. O_o

14. Do NOT step on eday gas cylinders. They explode instantly.

15. MP40: When you have no pistol bullets in reserve and press reload it gets stuck in a loop making clicking noises.

16. You might want to either move the flamecannon and flamethrower to slot 9 or change the pickup messages for them as the only weapon occupying slot 9 is the hand grenades. (And you don't really need them as a dedicated weapon anymore with the advent of the HG ammo count on the HUD.)

17. The "hanging by one leg" corpse decoration drops down a bit when you shoot it and it goes into the one hanging leg frame.

18. Railgun pierces Juggernauts instead of exploding on them, contrary to what the manual says.

19. Dual wield SMG has a bug with ammo: Upon pickup and switching to it, there is either very little ammo loaded in it or none, always less than what is held in the single wielded SMG.

20. Firing the Shotvolver actually causes your aiming point to walk DOWNwards with each shot. O_o Edit: Just noticed that the railgun does it too, so I guess its supposed to do that?

21. I assume that Ubersolidat is still WIP, as some of his frames revert to Heavy Weapons Zombie.

22. Sometimes when the Revenant goes into his blown in half walking on arms state, his upper torso never spawns / disappears in tight / cramped areas, resulting in you never being able to get credit for the kill. I've also noticed this happen with the zombieman facerip fatality, but its not a problem there as the kill is counted immediately.

23. When you pick up a second plasma rifle, it automatically switches to dual-wield plasma rifles.

24. When monsters are crushed by ceilings, they just disappear, there aren't even any gibs.

25. Goodie barrels that are supposed to replace the marble skull pillar don't actually replace them on E2M3. (Goodie barrels do spawn in their positions however.)

26. One of the experiment tanks on E2M4 containing an experiment is in the broken frame when it hasn't actually been broken. (just after the crusher ceiling room with the eyes and the minigun secret.) Also related, when an experiment breaks out of a tank on its own, you can shoot the tank again to spawn another experiment.

27. FPE of Imp using headbash into wall doesn't appear to spawn any health / armor bonuses.

28. Ceiling crushers can remove / destroy weapon pickups.

29. Tactical mode pistol dualwield has the same ammo bug as the dualwield SMGs. (once picking up another pistol, there's either no ammo in them, or very little, regardless of your full singlewield loaded ammo magazine.)

Testing continues...

Edited by: Cybr0g

Apr 5 2019 Anchor

"You can already interupt the pumping state at any point by pressing the reload button to relatively seamlessly transition into the reloading state."

That's not the same.

It doesn't feel natural. I would rather use the thing I described, as I'm used to that from other games.

Apr 5 2019 Anchor

EDIT: By mistake i was using RC8, my bad.

I did report this on RC8 bug report thread, but didn't check that a RC9 was already up, so i'm reposting it here. Checked and it still happens in RC9.

Its a bug with the pinky death animation, where he comes back to fight a bit more, if he dies from bleeding, you won't get a the extra kill for the extra monster spawn this causes, and can't close 100% kills on any map where this happens.

Edited by: Lordwolf2006

Apr 5 2019 Anchor
Lordwolf2006 wrote:

I did report this on RC8 bug report thread, but didn't check that a RC9 was already up, so i'm reposting it here. Checked and it still happens in RC9.

Its a bug with the pinky death animation, where he comes back to fight a bit more, if he dies from bleeding, you won't get a the extra kill for the extra monster spawn this causes, and can't close 100% kills on any map where this happens.

I just tried to duplicate this in RC9, but couldn't. Both with shotgun and minigun deaths, bleedout and armless attacking, it appears to function as it should. I also took a look at the code, the killcount flags appear to be set properly. Are savegames or any third party addons involved? Also Zandronum or GZDoom? What version?

Apr 6 2019 Anchor
Cybr0g wrote:
Lordwolf2006 wrote:

I just tried to duplicate this in RC9, but couldn't. Both with shotgun and minigun deaths, bleedout and armless attacking, it appears to function as it should. I also took a look at the code, the killcount flags appear to be set properly. Are savegames or any third party addons involved? Also Zandronum or GZDoom? What version?

I'm using GZDoom v3.7.2

But i've made a bad mistake, thought i was playing RC9, when i was in RC8, however, while trying to check this bug in RC9 now, i encountered another related bug, the total enemy counter decreased was 173 and gone down to 171, i test mostly in map04 in TNT because there is a lot of pinky along the map, instead of all at the same time and i know the exact number of monsters, i don't catch the exact moment, will try to replicate this and if i successfully capture it, i will post here. Sorry for the inconvenience. And yes in RC9 using GZDoom 3.7.2, only with doommetal vol5

Apr 6 2019 Anchor

You can revive death marine with use botton

Apr 7 2019 Anchor

Shotguns dropped by Sergeants still contain 8 shells on Purist mode, rather than the 4 they're supposed to give. This happens regardless of whether Vanilla Monsters is on or off. The only way I've found to fix it is to:

1. Change Shotgun's Weapon.AmmoGive amount from 8 to 4 in ClassicWeapons.txt
  2. Ensure both Sergeant.txt and VanillaMonsters.txt have ShotgunSpawnerDroped under DropItem
  3. In WeaponSpawners.txt for both ShotgunSpawner and ShotgunSpawnerDroped change GiveInventory("AmmoShell", x) so that x=4 and remove the GiveInventory("AmmoShell", x) line for ShotgunSpawnerDroped under the Purist condition.

That will give you 4 shells for Sergeant drops, while still giving 8 shells for Shotguns placed in a map.

Edited by: terminator44

Apr 7 2019 Anchor

Hi, I just started playing through Brutal Doom with RC8; I didn't see that this was something anyone mentioned so figured I'd mention this: the yellow door in Doom 1: E2M4 got stuck being permanently closed. I was able to get the keycard and go through it, but decided to go back to an earlier portion of the level to grab armor before exiting, and when I went back the door refused to reopen. Tried saving and loading again and it still didn't work. Was able to do it at least twice after restarting the level and going back after clearing out the end area; I'm using Zandronum to play if that matters.

Apr 8 2019 Anchor
LordMajicus wrote:

Hi, I just started playing through Brutal Doom with RC8; I didn't see that this was something anyone mentioned so figured I'd mention this: the yellow door in Doom 1: E2M4 got stuck being permanently closed. I was able to get the keycard and go through it, but decided to go back to an earlier portion of the level to grab armor before exiting, and when I went back the door refused to reopen. Tried saving and loading again and it still didn't work. Was able to do it at least twice after restarting the level and going back after clearing out the end area; I'm using Zandronum to play if that matters.

Confirmed to exist in RC9. Happens on Red Room (with crusher) -> Green Circle room, but not Green Circle room -> Red Room. Wonder if this is somehow related to the secret elevator that breaks on "Industrial Zone" of Doom II...

Apr 9 2019 Anchor

Confirmed the bug, a Revenant sometimes can cause the total monster counter to be reduced by one.

Apr 9 2019 Anchor

VERY COOL AXE and FINALLY throwing ability !!! I noticed something though, is not a bug, is more an adjustment is needed. I can kill enemies from a slight distance with the axe. My guess it could be from the secret sword range.....

Screenshot Doom 20190409 212656

Screenshot Doom 20190409 212702

And finally 2 suggestions( I AM AWARE you are not open for suggestions now so if you want just ignore it)

1. When you have the time please create some death animations when you throw the axe at them. Like the axe stuck in their head, chest etc....

2. I am wondering about the punching system Rip and Tear Mode and Smash Mode. Maybe is about time to remove the Smash Mode ? You see we have a charging punch, instant kill kick and the right punch, all these moves are instant kill(while the berserk power is on). While with the left punch you cause fatalities. It just doesn't make any sense to have the Smash Mode anymore while you can do this in the Tear & Rip Mode. Just saying.

Thanks and keep up the good work also BIG thanks for the Axe and punching system !!!

--

Sometimes with the Shotvolver they get "kicked" instead killing them. Distance does not matter . Is this normal ?

The MP40 causes the player to "sink" slightly in the ground almost like crouching. This happens ONLY when you have a single Mp40 not dual-wielding.

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.