After weeks of beta testing, UnrealHD has been released! This is a mutator for both Unreal 227 and Unreal Tournament '99 that will replace all those old, pixelated Unreal/RTNP skins with extremely detailed high-res counterparts. This is especially geared toward those people who enjoy playing Unreal Single Player and want a higher quality experience. Those old 256x256 skins have been replaced with skins as large as 4096x4096.
Here is a quick overview of features:
- All Unreal/RTNP skins replaced except for Special effects, Animated textures, and Player Skins
- Easy to use Mutator for Unreal227 and UT99
- No need to replace system files; online compatibility is maintained
- Fully compatible with custom maps and content
- Should work together with any other Mutator or mod
- Minor bug fixes with Unreal meshes
- All 175 skins retain a Faithful look while having a far more detailed appearance
Youtube Video (Note: Even the 1080p quality does not do these skins justice!)
This project took about 9 months from start to finish, with each skin taking an average of 4-7 hours to complete. Some of the larger skins like the Titan took weeks to complete. About 175 skins have been replaced in total. Each skin has been given special attention; nothing was rushed. The goal of this project was to maintain the faithful look of the old skins, while detailing every aspect of them. There have been no cheesy filters or sharpening techniques used. Everything has been manually reworked, airbrushed, and detailed. Sharper edges were created using layers, as well as better looking shadows, embossment, and more.
The following skins are replaced for Unreal and RTNP:
- All Monsters/ScriptedPawns/Creatures
- All Inventory
- All Decorations (except the Robot)
- All Gibs
- All projectiles except those with animated textures/effects.
- The Gina Player Skin by Ahaigh (all other player skins are incomplete at this point)
REQUIRED SYSTEM SPECS:
There really isn't much of a requirement. However, here are my own personal system specs:
- Windows 7 64-bit
- Intel i5 3470 processor 3.2ghz quad core
- Geforce GTX 550Ti Video card with 4GB of on-board memory
- 16GB of RAM
None of the beta testers had any performance issues, and I imagine your system could be much worse than the one listed above and still perform just fine.
This project was conceived by, managed by, and mostly done by me (Lightning Hunter), and a majority of the skinning was done by me. However, there are a lot of other people to credit! Please read the include readme file or the description on the main page for all who contributed and helped with this project.
NOTE: Please read the included text document or description on detailed installation instructions!
I don't want questions asked of me that are already answered in there.