Frequently Asked Questions (F.A.Q.)
Table of Contents
- What is Twisted Insurrection?
- How do I install Twisted Insurrection?
- Do I need Tiberian Sun to play Twisted Insurrection?
- Can I play Twisted Insurrection online?
- Where can I keep track of Twisted Insurrection?
- Where can I report bugs and share feedback?
- Why does the game freeze after I save?
- Why are Harvesters and some of the units invisible?
- What's ReShade and how do I use it?
- Will you add tabs and/or other modern features to the sidebar?
- My old custom map no longer works. How do I fix it?
- Will we see the addition of CABAL or the Scrin?
- Have you considered porting over to OpenRA?
- Can I use your assets in my own mod?
- Why is any new tech cut-off once there are 74 cameos in the sidebar?
- Will individual missions be selectable again in future releases?
1. What is Twisted Insurrection?
Twisted Insurrection (TI) is a critically acclaimed, standalone modification of Command & Conquer™ Tiberian Sun™. It features a complete redesign of the original game, set in an alternate what-if? timeline where the Brotherhood of Nod was victorious during the first Tiberian War.
Along with the total overhaul of the original game's visuals, sound effects, and packing an all-new original soundtrack (featuring Frank Klepacki), Twisted Insurrection gives you an entirely new arsenal of forces to command in massive single- and multiplayer battles. Choose between the old rivals GDI and Nod, or pledge your allegiance to the futuristic GloboTech or the elusive Forsaken. Play over 50 brand new solo and co-op missions, covert operations, re-imagined Tiberian Dawn missions and more. Customize your game experience by choosing from dozens of game modes and options.
2. How do I install Twisted Insurrection?
Installation is very simple. Just follow these three steps:
- Download the mod from our official Mod DB site
- Extract the .zip package to an empty directory*
- Run TwistedInsurrection.exe
Pro tip: Twisted Insurrection uses an intermediary client app through which you can configure, set up and start the game. If you already have TI version 0.39 or later installed, you can update the mod via the update notification on the client.
*Twisted Insurrection is standalone, therefore it does NOT require Tiberian Sun to be installed. Attempting to install Twisted Insurrection on top of Tiberian Sun will NOT work.
3. Do I need Tiberian Sun to play Twisted Insurrection?
No. Twisted Insurrection is standalone and runs by itself. You do not need Tiberian Sun or any other Command & Conquer game installed to play Twisted Insurrection. See the above warning.
4. Can I play Twisted Insurrection online?
Yes. Twisted Insurrection uses CnCNet which makes online play a breeze. First, make sure you are connected to the internet, then click the CnCNet button on the client main menu. Log in with your prefered username, and you will be sent to the Twisted Insurrection multiplayer lobby. There you can host and join games and chat with friends. You can also visit other CnCNet games' lobbies.
If you encounter any problems with CnCNet, seek help from the support channels on their website.
5. Where can I keep track of Twisted Insurrection?
Here's a list of all our official channels:
6. Where can I report bugs and share feedback?
We are always looking to improve the quality of Twisted Insurrection and squash any bugs that are left crawling around. If you have come across any issues or see anything that could be improved, please head over to one of our support channels and let us know as soon as you can:
Note: Please keep in mind that, as Twisted Insurrection is not a finished product, there may be a few placeholder relics from Tiberian Sun. These will be replaced in due time, but until then, please do not report placeholder graphics.
7. Why does the game freeze after I save?
The game hasn't actually frozen, it's a rendering issue which causes the menu to become invisible. This is caused by an incompatible renderer. Exit the game, go to the client settings, and on the display tab, select a different renderer. The best renderer depends on your system setup, but CnC-DDraw and TS-DDraw support most modern systems.
8. Why are Harvesters and some of the units invisible?
This happens if you've installed Twisted Insurrection on your Tiberian Sun directory. TI is standalone, meaning you must install it on an empty folder. See Question #2 for more information.
9. What's ReShade and how do I use it?
ReShade is a post-processing visual effects utility that lets you modify and improve the game's visuals in real-time. You can tweak colors, lighting and apply various pre-defined visual effects (shaders) such as bloom and light rays.
To use ReShade in Twisted Insurrection, follow these steps:
- In the TI client settings, select either the CnC-DDraw or TS-DDraw renderer.
- Turn on Enable ReShade shaders.
- Once you're in-game, use the Home key to open the ReShade menu. You can use one of the included presets, or make your own by following the tutorial.
10. Will you add tabs and/or other modern features to the sidebar?
Unfortunately the sidebar is one of the TS engine's many hardcoded limitations. Unless someone figures out how to reverse-engineer the sidebar, we have no way to change it.
11. My old custom map no longer works. How do I fix it?
Use MapTool's update profile to update it. You can access this tool in the Map Editor's Tools menu, or in the Map Editor folder in your TI directory.
After you've updated the map, open it in a text editor like Notepad, find the [Basic] section, then add this line under it:
List any game modes there that you want the map to appear in, e.g.
GameModes=Default,Meat Grinder,Unholy Alliance,Twisted Dawn
Note that the it's written as GameModes. There may be an older key called GameMode which is redundant.
12. Will we see the addition of CABAL or the Scrin?
In this alternate timeline, CABAL evolved via a slightly different path. The smug AI is still the Nod equivalent to GDI's EVA, but not as independent as in Firestorm. As for the Scrin, it is unlikely they will make a direct appearance.
13. Have you considered porting over to OpenRA?
So much time and effort has gone into building TI on the TS engine, it's unlikely that we'll start over on unfamiliar grounds. At least not in the foreseeable future.
14. Can I use your assets in my own mod?
Generally no. Twisted Insurrection and all of its assets, with the exception of original Tiberian Sun assets and public assets as listed in the credits, are property of the Twisted Insurrection Team. You are not permitted to use any proprietary assets from Twisted Insurrection in any public project without explicit permission from the developers.
If you wish to use our assets for your own private and personal use, this is of course allowed, but any form of redistribution of the mod assets is strictly forbidden, with or without credit unless you've been given permission.
Twisted Insurrection is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 Creativecommons.org
15. Why is any new tech cut-off once there are 74 cameos in the sidebar?
This is the result of a work-around developed to prevent the whiteboy-bug (named after the modder that discovered it), which crashes the game if there are more than 74 cameos available.
The work-around prevents these crashes, however it does so by capping the amount of cameos you can see in the sidebar. This is one of the reasons why tech content is not available in certain game modes.
That's all for now. Hopefully these resolved any questions you might've had. If not, then feel free to reach us.