The Sith engine is a game engine developed by LucasArts. The game Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II is based on this engine, and its expansion, Star Wars Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith, is based on a slightly updated version. The engine has also been used in Grim Fandango as a basis for the GrimE engine, and used in Star Wars: Droid Works. A modified third-person view version of the code with drastically rewritten lighting, collision, rendering and tools was renamed to Jones engine and used in Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine.
The Sith engine is an early example of a scripted game engine. Most object behaviors are implemented with the integrated COG scripting language or defined parametrically using a template system which allows simple inheritance. The engine is also an example of a portal engine. Level geometry is rendered as a series of negative-space convex polyhedrons connected by adjoining polygons. Levels require no preprocessing and hidden surface determination is computed at run-time.
Sith Engine Games:Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II (1997) · Star Wars Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith (1998) · Star Wars: Droid Works (1998) ·Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine (1999)
Getting Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II (JK) and its expansion pack Mysteries of the Sith (MotS) to run properly on modern-day computers is notably fiddly and previous methods for getting the game to run have largely ceased working - and in many regards carried issues of their own.
While fully functional engine remakes for JK have been worked on since the early 2000s, for the moment JkGfxMod's aim is to be the most hassle-free way to play the original games on modern computers.
After (with all enhancements):
Furthermore, JkGfxMod has been designed to enable various graphical enhancements to bring the game a bit closer to more contemporary game graphics.
2) It's possible to retain the original graphics with more up-to-date lightsabers and weapon effects (MotS):
With time, patience, interest, patience, skills and patience at hand, you can go beyond the normal game itself and brush up old mods as well:
With the first stable release of JkGfxMod, you should now be able to keep previously present graphical stuttering and lag issues at bay with the texture preload setting in the jkgm.json file. Even though this will increase the pre-play loading times (after running the EXE but before the game itself starts), it should hopefully be worth it in the game itself. Take a look at my jkgm.json file as an example, if necessary.
While these are major improvements in getting JK to work on modern systems, new problems will still arise and sadly some of them ultimately can't be addressed by JkGfxMod. Keep an eye out for possible updates on GitHub, and report any new issues there as well.
All that said, JK still remains as fiddly as ever, and you might need to work on additional mods to make the age of the game stick out a bit less.
* JkGfxMod (namely inject.exe) often results in a false positive reading by virus scanners. While downloading JkGfxMod from ModDB or GitHub should be perfectly fine, remember that the source code for JkGfxMod can be viewed on GitHub and can be compiled on your own if you can't trust the downloads
* Start a new game: Save files in JK and MotS cannot be reused after installing or removing most mods.
* If you properly install an optional material pack and the textures are not showing up, try setting the brightness slider all the way to min. The brightness slider can be found in Setup → Display → Brightness.
* JkGfxMod streams materials from storage as they are needed. This may cause some stuttering, especially if JkGfxMod materials are installed on a slow hard disk. This can be corrected by adding a vram_texture_preload_size entry to the configuration file.
The April 2020 status report on the enhancement mods for Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith.
No articles were found matching the criteria specified. We suggest you try the article list with no filter applied, to browse all available. Post article and help us achieve our mission of showcasing the best content from all developers. Join now to share your own content, we welcome creators and consumers alike and look forward to your comments.
"I have chosen my destiny, and it lies here..." - Kyle Katarn It is five years after Kyle's victory over the seven dark Jedi. Invading Imperial forces...
No games were found matching the criteria specified. We suggest you try the game list with no filter applied, to browse all available. Add game and help us achieve our mission of showcasing the best content from all developers. Join now to share your own content, we welcome creators and consumers alike and look forward to your comments.