Insanity+ is a huge update to Far Cry 2 that gives the player insane, superhuman agility.
Insanity+ improves the graphics, rebalances weapons, adds new features and quality of life improvements, fixes bugs, unlocks dlc and makes subtle changes to the gameplay to add more flavour and variety while giving the player insane, superhuman agility.
Steam, GOG and Ubisoft Connect are all supported. Every feature is available in all languages and while using either mouse and keyboard or controller.
Insanity+ is for people who want totally new ways to approach every combat situation. These are the changes:
Jump higher, walk faster, sprint faster, no sprint turn penalty, unlimited stamina, swim faster, unlimited breathing underwater, climb very steep slopes, no fall damage.
I have other versions of this mod that have the same base features but different focusses.
If you want the game's original combat, including bullet-sponge enemies, check out Vanilla+.
If you hate bullet-sponge enemies check out Realism+.
If you hate malaria and weapon degredation check out Chill+.
Full feature list:
- My personal “Colourful Far Cry 2” reshade configuration. This is Far Cry 2 with vibrant colours, no more no less.
- No blinking items.
- 60 FPS cap - prevents various bugs.
The following graphics settings have been improved, the default settings for these have been moved down a tier, so Ultra High is now Very High, High is now Medium etc:
Geometry (Ultra High) - This setting has a huge performance impact. Turn this down to Very High if you have low fps!
- Increased draw distance for trees.
- Increased draw distance for minor terrain details (rocks etc).
- Enhanced LOD for objects/trees/vegetation.
- 8x max number of decals (bullet holes etc).
Geometry (Very High) - This setting replaces the original ultra high setting as it has a small 1-2 fps impact.
- Increased draw distance for trees.
- Enhanced LOD for objects/trees/vegetation.
- 4x max number of decals (bullet holes etc).
Shadows (Improvements have been added to every setting)
- Softer, more realistic shadows.
- Trees and vegetation cast more shadows.
- The original game had a line ~10m from the player where high quality shadows became low quality shadows. This has been fixed.
- Increased draw distance for static shadows.
Terrain (Ultra High)
- AI-Enhanced textures for weapons, signs/posters/billboards and the HUD.
- Road signs have a new a high resolution hand-painted style font. New signs have been created for weapon shops and safehouses. Weapon shop road signs are no longer green.
- Hand-drawn map icons in the style of the originals, literally hand-drawn by me!
- Detailed weapon icons, made using pre-existing game art.
- Syrette icon is now an actual syrette, not a syringe.
- Extra gadget slot for the flare gun or IEDs, accessible by pressing the machete button twice.
- Weapons can be holstered by pressing X on keyboard (rebindable) or holding Y on controller. Press fire, use or change weapon to unholster. Press reload to show the hud.
- Weapons can be inspected by holding the reload button.
- Increased ironsight FOV.
- Renamed the 'Eagle .50' to the 'Desert Eagle' and the 'Homeland 37' to the 'Ithaca 37'. Removed unnecessary hyphens from others.
- DLC weapons have been added to the ammo upgrades.
- AR-16's sight has a red dot.
Machete - The machete didn't have a real place in combat as stealth kills would still alert every enemy and it took several regular swipes to kill anyone. It is now useful in both stealth and as a regular melee weapon.
- Machete stealth kills are silent.
- 'Creeping' has been added to the machete so you can walk at half speed by holding the iron sight button.
- Regular machete attacks are a one hit kill.
Pistols - I found the pistols were forgotten about once the SMGs were unlocked. They are now more viable.
- Makarov & Silenced Makarov - +50% damage, 3x max ammo, magazine size increased to 12.
- Star .45 - +50% damage, 3x max ammo, +33% effective range.
- Desert Eagle - +50% damage, 2x recoil.
SMGs - The SMGs were always better than the pistols, so alongside buffing the pistols the SMGs have been slightly nerfed. The MP5 was also by far the worst assault rifle so it has been changed to a secondary, joining the other SMGs.
- The MP5 is a secondary. As such it's ammo upgrade has been changed to the light assault webbing and it now gets ammo pickups from the other SMGs.
- Some of the weapon upgrades have been changed to accommodate the MP5 as a secondary. The MP5 is automatically available at the start of Act 2. The Uzi is available as a reward from convoy mission 4 and the SVD is available as a reward from convoy mission 3. This has been done because the MP5 is the best SMG and the natural progression is MAC-10 -> Uzi -> MP5.
- MAC-10 - +50% recoil.
- Uzi - +50% recoil, improved reliability.
- MP5 - +50% recoil, reduced reliability, reduced effective range.
Shotguns - In the original game they were underpowered and there was no reason to choose them over an assault rifle. They now excel within 50m.
- All shotguns are more accurate with improved effective range.
- Sawed-off shotgun - Uses shotgun ammo and fires each barrel individually.
- SPAS12 - reduced magazine size to 9.
- Silenced shotgun - reduced magazine size to 4.
Assault rifles - Enemies were particularly bullet spongey when shot at range with assault rifles, this should now be improved while maintaining their medium range specialisation.
- All assault rifles effective range increased by 33%.
- AR-16 - Now fully automatic.
- Golden AK-47 - -50% Recoil.
LMGs - The PKM had way too much recoil and LMGs only became useful with the M249 Saw.
- PKM recoil reduced by 20%.
Flamethrower - The flamethrower had pitiful range, limiting it's usefulness for both the player and enemies.
- Flamethrower range tripled to 30m.
- Flamethrower max ammo reduced by 50%.
Rocket launchers/explosive crossbow - All projectiles were very slow moving, especially the Carl G rockets.
- RPG/Carl G - Projectile speed increased 2x.
- Explosive crossbow - Projectile speed increased 2x, projectiles fire in an arc.
Mortar - The mortar is a specialised, high skill weapon. Despite this it had the same ammo capacity as the other explosive specials.
- Mortar max ammo increased by 50%.
- Vehicle and boat speed increased, reduced the damage vehicles take from crashes.
- Permanent windshield bullet holes.
- DLC vehicles come in a variety of colours.
- Improved hang glider stability when shot - you will lose some control and altitude but only be pushed into a nose dive under very heavy fire.
- Increased look angle for the swamp boats so you can look behind you while driving.
Weapon/Upgrade shop improvements
- Reorganised shop so the order of everything makes more sense (unfortunately this has broken the Upgrades section of the pause menu, you need to use the shop computer to see which upgrades you have bought).
- All ammo, health and repair upgrades are available early in the game.
- Weapons in the armory don't respawn instantly - there will be fresh stock next time you visit.
- New vehicle upgrades have been added for the DLC vehicles.
- Playable female mercenaries.
- Insane player agility - Jump higher, walk faster, sprint faster, no sprint turn penalty, unlimited stamina, swim faster, unlimited breathing underwater, climb very steep slopes, no fall damage.
- Improved stealth - reduced enemy perception pre-combat by 20%.
- Changed the malaria pill animation to an existing rare animation, where the player pours out two pills and puts one back.
- Reduced monocular sensitivity.
- Briefcases that previously contained one diamond now contain two.
- Explosive barrels now start fires.
- Removed the flashing save reminder from safehouse icons on the GPS.
- Optional limited navigation - remove the player arrow from the map and other map/GPS tweaks for an extra immersive experience.
- Optional tutorial skip - start the game straight after the long-winded opening. Choose between a normal game start and one with all upgrades and weapons unlocked.
- Optional limited saving - disable quicksave and saving from the pause screen. If chosen you can only save at safehouses, gun shops, bus stops and mission givers. No more save scumming!
- Enhanced enemy arsenal - not only can enemies now use almost every weapon, I have made a full progression curve so while any weapon can be used at any moment they are more likely to use weaker weapons earlier and stronger weapons later.
- Buddies also use more weapons and will go through their own progression curves.
- Enemy infighting - patrols and camps will fight each other.
- Patrol vehicles have been swapped to a more interesting variety and they now include ATVs, dune buggies and several utility truck variants.
- Weapon convoy drivers and gunners are now unique enemy types that wear military style outfits and use high class weapons. These guys aren't fucking around any more, they want to protect the convoys and have brought the tools to do so. They are a new potential source of powerful vehicles and weapons if you can carefully take them out. If you take the easy way and blow up all the vehicles up you won't get anything extra.
- Enemy vehicles use a mix of shotgun and assault enemies.
- More unpredictable enemies - no behaviours are guaranteed.
- The chance for enemies to chase you when driving through checkpoints has been reduced to 25%.
- More black enemies.
- A new game executable is included that has been patched to use 4GB of RAM, this improves load times and game stability.
- Restored missing big truck engine sounds.
- Restored missing critical healing animations on Infamous difficulty.
- Fixed the Jackal tape bug where the 10th tape repeats and you can't hear the remaining ones.
- Fixed bouncing NPCs.
- Fixed the silent phone call bug (mostly, use DirectX 9).
- Fixed the 'alien' blue tint on the player at night.
- Fixed being able to see the edges of your arms when using the hang glider.
- Fixed the hang glider bouncing on water - it is now buoyant and you can climb onto it while it is floating.
- Fixed assassination targets having the same vision as snipers.
- Fixed the MAC-10 being silent.
Unlocked DLC – Ubisoft authentication no longer required
- Predecessor tapes.
- Homemade and Primitive machetes.
Extra Customisation Options - You can add/customise these options with the included files and instructions. It's very simple and doesn't take more than a few minutes.
- Shoot and throw grenades while driving and using mounted weapons.
- A complete AI-enhanced texture pack.
- Alternate weapon animations.
- Weapon icons.
- Map icons.
- Syrette icon.
- Remove HUD elements.
- AR-16 & MGL-140 scope colours.
- Malaria pill animation.
- FPS cap.
7-Zip is required to extract the mod download, get it here.
Something not to your liking? Want to make your own mod? I've made a guide to Far Cry 2 modding that covers how to change everything in this mod and more, find it here.
I use a steam controller to play and my settings can be found by searching for "Far Cry 2: Vanilla+ (Tom's Mod) Binding"
v3.0 - The entire mod has been rebuilt from scratch, using new methods I learnt when writing my modding guide. Almost everything has been tweaked, often being simplified to best achieve what I originally intended. New features have been added including playable female mercenaries, new animations, significant retextures, and new customisation options have been added making this by far the most customisable Far Cry 2 mod that has ever existed. There is too much to list here so if you are revisiting, please check out the new feature list above.
Improved the animation for machete stealth kills, credit to dannyhl2 for finding this method
Weapon convoy drivers and gunners are now unique enemy types that wear military style outfits and use high class weapons. These guys aren't fucking around any more, they want to protect the convoys and have brought the tools to do so. They are a new potential source of powerful vehicles and weapons if you can carefully take them out. If you take the easy way and blow up all the vehicles up you won't get anything extra.
Swapped the bus stop map textures to a more hand painted style.
Added AI upscaled weapon textures to the standard install (the same textures were previously found in the additional customisation texture pack).
Added an AI upscaled dirt road texture to the standard install (the same texture was previously found in the additional customisation texture pack).
Added two AI upscaled sign textures to the standard install that I'd accidentally missed out in the previous version.
Tweaked enemy weapon progression:
1) A more diverse selection of weapons will be used during the hotel attack.
2) There is a 0% chance of top tier weapons being used during the tutorial.
Added apostrophes to 'Le Milieu' on Michele's page in the character select screen.
Fixed a bug where the MAC-10 was silent.
Fixed a mistake I made where I increased the reliability of the sawed off shotgun by too much. It has been reduced to a 20% increase over default to account for the gun lacking a reliability upgrade in the shop.
Removed the fix for bouncing NPCs as multiple people reported being damaged when touched by npcs during certain animations.
- Removed NPC edits that were meant to fix bouncing at high FPS.
- Capped FPS at 60 (the old fix for bouncing NPCs).
- Added FPS cap options to 'Extra Customisations' (30 FPS, 60 FPS, Unlimited FPS).
Thank you to Kat for encouraging me to complete this, it’s been a long journey learning how everything works. Also thanks to the dead community of Far Cry 2 modders at openworldgames.org, Marc for his help and ambition, BigTinz for Far Cry 2: Redux, the Infamous Fusion team and dannylh2 for Far Cry 2: New Dunia. Working out how they made their mods allowed me to make my own. This mod stands on the shoulders of giants.