Modified version of Brutal Doom v21 meant to be played with map packs that feature custom monsters, compatibility fix.
Updated!! Revision C!! Final Release
B.W.O. stands for Brutal Weapons Only
BrutalDoom v21 Weapons-Only - revision C (Final) - Unofficial
Compatible with Zandronum v3.0 - gzdoom v1.9.1 - v2.4.0 (recommended) - v4.5.0 - lzdoom
Tested with Avactor.WAD (custom monsters), Doomer Boards Project 14 and Corruption Cards (everything works as intended)
Changelist revision C:
- harder difficulties do not forbid the player of using cheats anymore
- pain sectors in Realism difficulties should not be affected by Damage Multipliers anymore.
Pain sector and crusher damage closer to vanilla
- there was a problem with autoaim aiming at corpses when you tried to shoot at enemies in front of you
- even if the player chooses to re-enable some of the custom Brutal monsters, that won't happen anymore
- autoaim was disabled for Barrels to prevent accidents
- autoaim also disabled for decorations and lamps
- I re-enabled the custom Brutal Spectres once again (invisible pinkies)
I feel like most of the mods out there don't have custom spectres of their own, so that should not cause any major issues...
- Note: not having the custom Zombiemen, Shotgunners and Chaingunners makes Realism difficulty almost impossible to play. For most map packs out there, you can easily re-enable them back, otherwise hitscanners will kill you in one shot. As a saving grace, Realism difficulty in 20B doesn't have Fast Monsters, that was a wise choice. The equivalent difficulty for v21 would be "Hard Realism", it's still there.
Launch shortcut example:
gzdoom.exe -file BrutalDoom.pk3 MyMaps.wad
>> Always load Brutal Doom first, load the maps last in the chain
It's stupid that we are in 2021 and gzdoom still doesn't have a built-in launcher for mods, I know.
Prboom has a launcher, you pick mods with the mouse, simple and easy.
C++ is too hard I guess. Took them only 10 years to make the game pause and not use CPU power when minimized. Gotta give them some slack LOOOL
Changes made to Brutal v21:
- custom barrels and explosions are still there, although I feel like
barrel explosions were severely weakened for version 21, unfortunately
- exclusive to v21: fixed a bug where weapons firing would cause graphical glitches,
this makes version 21 compatible with gzdoom versions 1.9.1 and 2.4.0 now
- exclusive to v21: disabled Enemy Respawns on all difficulties except Nightmare
- exclusive to v21: increased damage the grenades do to make them behave closer to
how they did in v20B, one grenade can kill Arachnotron, Cacodemon and Hell Knight
Grenades in version 21 still suck though, sometimes you want to throw a grenade over
a ledge and the autoaim makes the grenade go lower than you wanted it to,
and their explosions are very underwhelming graphically, there's something missing.
- exclusive to v21: I left the Spectres (invisible Pinkies) enabled on this one,
you might have to disable Spectres manually for some specific map packs
- both versions of BWO Weapons-Only feature my custom modifications in regards to
reducing smoke and particle effects to help reduce slowdowns in slower computers.
v21 still have a lot of graphical effects, let me know if the slowdowns are too much.
v20B should be perfectly playable on a single-core 1.20 GHz CPU, minor slowdowns.
- Previous changes applied to both versions:
- AutoAim is re-enabled for most guns
for better playability in laptop touchpads without external mouse
- Chaingun still has no AutoAim, otherwise it would negate Recoil effect
- IDFA cheat gives you weapons that were not accessible before,
like the Railgun, the Grenade launcher, sword, etc.
- custom blood is still there, but gore and custom deaths not
- custom item pickups and marines disabled
- custom decorations disabled, except torches and light sources
- depending on which map you play, might have to disable a few extra things