One week ago we released Dino D-Day here on ModDB. So far, we've been thrilled with the reception. Thanks to all for playing it and especially ModDB for doing so much to get the game in front of as many people as they could. It's a great start...I don't mind admitting to a little nervous energy over all this. I hope we can ship a game that fulfills everyone's fondest hopes for Nazi dinosaur action!
We spent some time this past week doing a few updates to the game. On our download page you'll find the new build. Sorry this didn't come as a patch update -- there were some technical problems that prevented us from doing this. Here's a quick rundown of fixes:
- Adjusted weapon balance. The MP40 is a little more useful now. The Germans go down a bit easier too. Overall, this makes the game a bit easier so it may play quicker than it did before. But it seemed necessary as pumping half a magazine into a German without success seemed excessive...stupid even.
- Fixed the Colt and MP40 mags. They're historically accurate now (a little embarrassed they weren't before).
- Added a jawbone to the T-Rex ragdoll. GMODers alert!!!
- Thinned out some of the enemies just a bit in certain sections.
- Added some NPC clips to keep the Triceratops from floating over rocks.
- Added some subtle fill lights inside train cars that were way too dark.
- Made various changes to the maps to "beautify" them as much as possible in a fairly short amount of time.
- NEW ENDING! Or should I say an ending...since the last build basically had none. I really dislike the HTML windows -- but they were a necessary expedient to add some story. I especially hated the non-ending, so we cooked up a little something different that should give some sense of closure.
As you will see, there are still plenty of rough edges to this build. The criticism I've read so far is pretty right on in my opinion. The level design is pretty rough still, the AI needs work as well. But the basic idea seems sound. And most exciting for us, people seem to "get" the sense of old-fashioned fun we're trying to create with Dino D-Day. Developing a video game is hard, but finding a story that resonates with your audience is harder. I think we've got one of those pretty close...the other still needs a lot of work (the game part).
Ultimately, as I've mentioned in a few of the comments, these levels will be pretty much rebuilt. Under the hood, there are a lot of "rookie" mistakes which leads to poor frame rate at times, unruly displacements, etc. These two maps were actually finished several months ago and in the intervening time we've been working on laying out the rest of what will constitute Dino D-Day: Episode 1. You saw just a couple fleeting glimpses of these in the trailer and screenshots.
We'll keep everyone updated on our progress. Thanks again for playing the mod. As I mentioned earlier, this is my first experience in the modding/game development world. I must say I'm enjoying it immensely. You don't find this sort of community spirit in television...that's for sure!
P.S. After the new ending is over, you're returned to the map where you can keep right on killing dinosaurs and Nazis until your heart's content. For anyone looking to punch some dinosaurs in their stupid face might I suggest using an exploit someone discovered? If you go into GUTS mode (you'll have to fill up the meter, shooting guns helps build up points) then switch out you can use "Q" to switch back to fists. You'll never switch back away (unless you do so manually) and you're invulnerable with your fists out. So you can get your fill of fisticuffs.