Well, it's been a while, but after years of waiting, finally the time has come to tell you that Sven Co-op 4.0 was a hoax all along, and everything was photoshopped.
More seriously: I know you've been waiting a ridiculously long time, and I apologise. It's not that we haven't been doing anything, though. Download links are below the list of changes made just since this September. Note that commits (each line) can contain anything from a tiny tweak to multiple new features, so they're not any specific guide, but you get the general idea. The team has been working really hard lately, and I'm genuinely proud of them -- it really feels like they've achieved the impossible at this point.
General game changes:
Anyway, Sven Co-op 4.0(Beta) is here! Tell your friends and neighbours' pets! Tell your favourite news sites! The more players we have, the more fun it is for everyone :). Thanks to all the players, mappers, server ops, etc. etc. who keep Sven Co-op alive! I'd thank you all properly, but I expect most people are already seeing too much text and skipping over it, so:
Things to do while waiting for the download to finish:
- Check out the SC4.0B Manual!
- Join the Sven Co-op Steam community group and find people to play with!
- Check out Doc's heavily remixed versions of Gluem's SC3.0 menu theme!
- Wonder what the Secret Bonus Feature is. Is it really the Otis Summoning Device? Nobody is sure. We've made it fairly difficult to find this time, so we suggest the community work together to find it. (Unfortunately you will need to have donated prior to the release).
- If you're a server op running a stand-alone dedicated server, remember that you need to add "-num_edicts 4096" to your HLDS command-line arguments. Also see below.
- As mentioned, it is a beta and there are some bugs/unfinished features. Report any you find on the Bug Reports forum, which will be reopened shortly (if it's not already). Check the list of known bugs in there, first, though.
- The installer is designed to be able to update SC3.0, but if you have problems, maybe try a clean install.
- Unfortunately there's no way to filter SC4.0B servers from SC3.0 servers in Steam's server browser at the moment. Please put "SC4" at the start of your server name so people know it's running 4.0!
I think that's it for now. We hope to release an update to fix bugs much, much sooner than last time. Merry Christmas everyone -- hope you enjoy 4.0!