.......... Smod it self is an amazing mod with an outstanding community. For every thing that has been made from it, Smod 40a, Redux, CSS SCI FI, Outbreak, and Tactical, each brought something to the table. And the May 26 update killed a lot of it. There is nothing more that I would love to do then role back time and have it never happen, (Well have most of it never happen). To say that "I don't want to do this", is not something I would say. But I must face facts, This is a very large pain in the butt, and because of it I have to drop/move part of the update order I would of liked.
I was always saying that "Oh there will be 2 updates", or that "it's coming I just need a break through". Well that "break through" isn't working. The truth is I was hoping that I would be able to do 4 things
- Fix the 5.56 mod for people to play again
- get V1 to work the way it was made to
- weapon update
- double the map sizes by making a second part of the campaign that you take up just after the start.
Well after a few more updates from valve on the new HL2 (or at least from what I understand I could be very wrong on this, and I mean VERY wrong) Fixing V1 is downright impossible right now. After fixing AI, porting broken maps, and a few other tweaks, I was able to get it running with the 5.56 menu system, but with faster loading speeds. Then it hit me, I wasn't in Smod-T any more, I was in the mod, but it wasn't running Smod-T the way it should of, nor did it run Half-Life 2 the right way. It was sort of a mix between the 2. None of the SMod weapons would work, the shooting range was broken again, and so was the HUD, but half of the normal weapons worked (no ironsight sadly). The AI worked, but had all of the tactical NPC locations with the Tactical NPCs (no weapons). and You could unlock the achievements in it. I mean it would screw up so bad that I didn't know what I was doing anymore, and o top it off it wouldn't even save.
So right now I am dropping a V1 fix, but this does not mean that I am done. I;m just moving on to plan B. Make a hybrid of the two, (version 5.91 if you will.) Moving part of V1 into 5.56. So it's not going to be running oh the Orange Box engine (or what ever you want to call it now) Like V1 is trying to do. Along with that, there IS going to be a full weapons change. Every weapon is being removed excluding
a few of them such as
- dual pistols
- ak47 (might scrap it)
- and possibly a few others when I go through all of them.
What Is needed after that Is not add new maps for a new game. not more T and CT maps, like the ones in Counter Strike, But a split, a new branding for the mod. Adding maps (by hand with Lua is going to be a little painful but once I get the hang of it, it should be good). RFeally look at all the other SMod mods
- 40a: fast, lost of gnus and things going boom
- Outbreak: HL2 with EVEN MORE ZOMBIES!! It's like L4D, only 10X better
- Redux: like 40a but with it's own good things
- CSS SCI FI: branched out to it's own thing
- Tactical: looking at a loading screen longer then the time you spend alive in game, as you pound the keyboard out of rage going "WHY ON EARTH AM I STILL PLAYING THIS?" as well as crashes and many cheap shots.
Tactical really did get the short end of the stick. but it got the better end when it came to the community. Right now I am working on 3 main things
- Making new backgrounds for the star menu (I'm learning how to use adobe illustrator in school right now and I have a few things that I could do)
- sorting weapons
- adding new weapons
That's All I have for now, and I will post more When I have it, and hopefully it's good next time.