The player has made a mistake in the past and has to face the consequences now ... through suffering! The punishment comes to the player in 4 parts and one additional final part. This is like nothing you have ever played before.
+ Unique boss fight
+ Some interesting puzzles
- Boring combat, you only face vortiguants and headcrabs (and some few grunts)
- No challenging at all (except for the repeat part)
- Some bland maps
- Trial and error
- Nothing to do with quake, despite the name...
This is the sort of map pack that leaves you disappointed and annoyed. Not in the sense that it was hard, apart from 3 parts I really didn’t have much trouble at all.
…and I’ve never really been good at these sort of things.
Its got nothing to do with Quake so you pretty much have to ignore what you think its referring to, a bit shameless to draw people in with its name… I’m tempted to downgrade it just for that but I won’t.
When you look at this mod objectively, you see
- some bland levels with some very simple combat (and not just because you only face 2 types of enemies),
- enemies that silently teleport into a room you just cleared
- bland voice acting, sounds like a few french mod developers who seem to be friends (probably because it is)… it put me off. What ever atmosphere it could have had is absent.
+ a single new texture (a weird symbol on everything)
+ a unique boss with a unique way to kill it, and liked the stuff it spouts to you while your running around :)
-+ Jumping puzzles, button hunts … I’m not into it, the blandness of the levels and mediocrity of doing these random things is hard to do without a atmosphere or music to keep you awake (apart from 1 or 2 ambiance tracks we get later on, which don’t last long)
and finally does not accomplish what the mod makers said it would. It wasn’t that hard.
It does however have color and enemies to gun down unlike the sequel Half-Quakes, but this isn’t going to win any brownie points for having that unless it can do it well.
PS- oh the grunts have a new texture, it does fit into the mod eventhough it looks plain.