As of version 2.0, Carmageddon is compatible with all directory locations by default. This guide is as such merely for those wanting to implement Carmageddon manually, for whatever the reason might be.
Follow the list below, point-to-point, and Carmageddon should work for you too, unless you have a downloaded version of GTA IV, in which case it simply won't work and I will not help you to get it working.
- Download the handling.dat file found here.
- Place the handling.dat file in the "common\data\" folder of your main Grand Theft Auto IV directory. If you installed GTA IV in the default location, it should be "[drive letter]:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\" for retail versions and "[drive letter]:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\grand theft auto iv\GTAIV\" for Steam versions. If you have a 64-bit operating system, it will be placed inside "Program Files (x86)" instead of "Program Files".
- In this folder, "common\data\", you'll see handling.dat. If not, then you have a big problem, and you should download the original file here and put it in the "common\data" folder.
- Rename the original "handling.dat" to something like "handling_backup.dat" or the like to preserve the original settings.
- Rename "handling_carmageddon.dat" to "handling.dat" and place it in "common\data\".
- The mod should work now. You can switch between the original handling.dat file and Carmageddon's at any time, as long as you restart the game when you do. If you, by any chance, manage to switch names on the files and don't know which is which, you can open them in a text editor, like Notepad. Carmageddon 's version has "CARMAGEDDON!" written at the top of the file.