You will find yourself in a role of Benjamin Kerrigan. Acquiring a new job as a butler, he is in going on his brother’s previous position. But what is the real reason for that? Where is his brother and why hasn’t he reply to any of Benjamin’s letters? It is up to you to help him and find out what happened. While searching for clues you’ll unravel the secrets of a mysterious castle and his owner.
Upon loading saves (my own/CS autosaves), events weren't activating and key items weren't allowed to be used as intended.
In order to finish this custom story (which I finally did), I had to beat it from start to finish without stopping. If I was stuck in geometry/other hiccups in the Amnesia engine, I had to start over to avoid this.
The update seemed to simplify things (mostly removing keys and encounters), and the majority of the puzzles weren't all that impressive. Level design was alright, ranging from decent to above average. In future, I would avoid forcing players to advance (I'm referring to the personal chambers), as it takes away from the feeling of having choice. It'd be better to rely on mementos if you feel that hints are necessary in order to progress, if that's the issue.
As for the voice acting:
- Terrible audio quality -> Invest in a better mic
- I understand that it is not on a professional level. Therefore, by attempting to add voice acting without the ability to do it well drags down the overall quality of the story, making it difficult for the player to feel immersed/drawn into your CS.
Honestly, it'd be better to completely remove it and leave it as text, avoiding extra details involving emotion(screaming, crying, etc.) in the subtitles. Under this circumstance, the player, if they care about the plot of the CS, should be able to form their own emotions by following the plot, reading every note to piece it together, if need be.
The horrifying experience: I didn't feel like I was in any immediate danger, and there weren't really many events that built suspense/really pinned me into quick-thinking situations.
This Custom Story is by far the greatest one ever made!
creepy atomsphere, great level desing and a perfect story line.
the sidequests were fun and challenging. great puzzles...
10/10 for this one!
i would like to play another of your stories
keep up the good work!!! :)
This was an enjoyable mod and well done, so let me quickly highlight the pro's/con's.
- Interesting Story.
- Characters were interesting.
- Monster scares and spawns were done well (I HATED the Brute chase, because i'm terrified off them, but it was really well placed).
- Side stories, even though i didn't finish most of them.
- Voice acting was really nice and well done.
- Long Story/Level.
- Multiple Endings.
- Nice varied enviroments that served a purpose (E.G Outside area, drainage area, Bedroom etc.) Felt like a real castle and not just one room after another.
- The story really got to me at the end, which is great as it was fully explained, but i only felt attached too it once it was over, not sure whether you can count this as bad though, but if we knew more about the character's relationships with each other before hand, i might have been more engaged with it earlier on.
- Some of the puzzles, or 'hidden items' were frustrating to find (E.G the key to the Entrance Hall) and had no real purpose being hidden.
- Voice Acting was slightly quiet at times, not a major problem but something that could be worked upon.
- There was a section were i stacked crates to reach a platform but was unable to pass due to an invisible barrier, as it turns out you needed to place a ladder to get there. Why not do both?
Overall i thoroughly enjoyed this mod while being slightly frustrated at certain parts which took too long simply due to hidden items. Definitely worth a playthrough and one of my favourite Custom Stories this year. Keep up the good work!
The first thing I noticed for this custom story was how dark it was. For me, the immense amount of darkness wasn't scary, just annoying. A lot of doors were hidden in darkness. There weren't any puzzles, just looking for hard to find keys and buttons. Voice acting was bad; the levels were low and a few of the microphones were crap. I did though like that voice acting of the guy whose only line was “please kill me”. It got to the point where I was just getting frustrated with the game, especially because my character was getting physically stuck in corners so that I couldn’t move. I would have to restart to where I last chose to save and exit, despite the fact this custom story auto saves. I wasn’t even looking for place to get stuck, it would just happen. The final straw was in the water level with platforming. A custom story is usually pretty bad when it has to rely on jumping for difficulty. When I got to the last platform, a pipe, just to be pushed back into the water; I was done and so was my computer. This custom story might have had a good ending. Oh well.