by Trainzack on May 18th, 2011
Okay, first, two things about my tutorials:
- I will not provide the very basic information, like "how do I compile a map?"
- I will generally cover the stuff that's obscure, and things that I haven't seen tutorials of before.
Now, what I am about to say next may be considered basic information, but everyone needs to know it: Never, ever, EVER use the carve tool. Also, the hollow tool should be used sparingly.Now, some other information that can be helpful:
- Sounds are played from an ambient_generic.
- Logic_auto and logic_relay can work wonders.
- Displacements should never be made into a brush entity (ctrl + T)
- A good habit is to make all of your brushes with the nodraw texture and use the texture application tool to add textures to only the necessary brushes.
- If you're making a func_tracktrain, then it has to be facing east (right in the top down view) or it will be in a weird direction.
- Design your levels with optimization in mind, especially if you're making a large multiplayer map. Make sure there are very few or no places where you can see to the other side of the map, as this can cause lag.
- If you are making a map for the portal series, it is always a good idea to make the puzzles require figuring out the solution rather than split-second overcomplicated moves.
- env_explosion and env_spark are good entities for effect.
And that's all for now.