A voxel based adventure and RPG. Vox is a highly customizable game where you can create, destroy, edit and build anything you desire. The whole world, every item and object within it, and even the characters and inhabitants of Vox are created using a custom 'Voxel Engine' that allows for an unparalleled level of creativity. Come and explore your imagination!

Forum Thread
[Upcoming] Vox v0.20 (Games : Vox : Forum : News and Updates : [Upcoming] Vox v0.20) Locked
Thread Options
Oct 22 2012 Anchor

Here is a list of new features that will be added to v0.20 of Vox:

• Action bar to assign skills and items to for quick access.
  • Item library.
  • MORE COMING SOON...

Edited by: AlwaysGeeky

Oct 23 2012 Anchor

Already found a bug... very hard to explain, but i have 2 pictures which show the effect. The blocks kinda just turn blue? they are meant to be grey, but when you look from a specific angle they turn blue.
Imageshack.us This is the bug.
Imageshack.us This is what it is meant to look like.

Apart from that, v0.19 is good and i like the added features :D

Oct 23 2012 Anchor

That is very weird... thanks for the screenshots... does it just change when you move around and look at a different angle with the camera? Hmmmm

Also glad you are liking version v0.19 :) Stay tuned for more cool features coming soon.

Oct 23 2012 Anchor

AlwaysGeeky wrote: That is very weird... thanks for the screenshots... does it just change when you move around and look at a different angle with the camera? Hmmmm

Also glad you are liking version v0.19 :) Stay tuned for more cool features coming soon.

When you look away from a few specific points on the screen, it turns blue. But as soon as you look a little away, it goes back to normal... not a huge problem, just it annoys me when im walking

Nov 6 2012 Anchor

I just bought 0.19 and played a few minutes for the first time. My first impressions:
- An annoying title screen that apparently cannot be skipped until the intro is over. And you have to go through that *again* before you can quit the game...
- No tutorial, no help... I figured out some keys to control the game quickly, but I hope there's more.
For example, I haven't found out how to pick up monster drops or mined ore. Those seem to just disappear after a couple of seconds.
And there seems to be no use for the middle and right mouse buttons yet?
- Default controls are okay, but not my preference. That should be configurable at the very least.
- I can't wait for the action bar in 0.20. Switchng tools by means of the inventory is a PITA. BTW, I *love* the way this is done in Minecraft :-)
- It appears that a lot of "stuff" in the game is not solid. Why should objects and monsters be penetrable? This makes it feel like a badly coded C64 game.

So much for now. As I didn't find the manual in this forum, I'm gonna play and try on my own now. ;-)

Nov 6 2012 Anchor

Hi egimi,

Thanks for your post and thank you for your support by buying the game.

You will be happy to know that a lot of what you talked about will be improved and fixed for v0.20 that I am planning on releasing soon.

At the moment there isnt a tutorial or help as this is still a pre-alpha and lots of stuff is regularly changing, such as controls. You can find the current controls and keys in the readme.txt file that is also included with the package.

In v0.20 you can also use the right mouse button to "lock-on" or target enemies so that they are easier to attack. Combat is one of my big focuses now and I plan to improve it drastically :)

Also sorry about the unskippable intro... lol I really am going to put a skip in sooner rather than later.

Cheers!

Nov 7 2012 Anchor

AlwaysGeeky wrote: In v0.20 you can also use the right mouse button to "lock-on" or target enemies so that they are easier to attack.
Combat is one of my big focuses now and I plan to improve it drastically :)

Thanks for your elaborate answer. I'm looking forward to trying that, and everything else that you'll give us in 0.20!

I want to add that I greatly appreciate your work, and I believe there's huge potential in Vox. I'd love to be of help, be it just by nagging you with every tiny bit that I don't like. ;-)

One more thing: It has been mentioned before in another thread by someone that the map was too small. I second that. Playing a different game as well which offers virtually endless landscapes to roam, I feel quite claustrophobic here.
Besides, after digging down just 20 or so blocks, I suddenly found myself standing on the last layer of blocks, and watching down into a bluish void. And when I decided to jump, I discovered that I was even able to stand on it. But what's really wrong with that is that I haven't been able to jump back up again to the blocks around me. May I suggest bedrock? Or even better, why not make your world a sphere with a glowing molten and deadly core? :-P

Keep up the good work!

Nov 7 2012 Anchor

Worlds in Vox are actually infinite... much in the same way that Minecraft is... but for the early versions and the pre-alpha I put limits on the world size so that the player focus can be on other things such as the creation and gameplay elements, but as I add more features and make the game more complete I will be re-enabling the infinite landscape generation again, so you will pretty much never get to the end of the world, either by digging down or running to the sides. :)

Also there will be a vast cave system that is underneath the world and you will have to find and explore this, as part of the gameplay. Kinda like digging and mining in Terraria, have you played that game?

Nov 7 2012 Anchor

AlwaysGeeky wrote: Worlds in Vox are actually infinite... [...] so you will pretty much never get to the end of the world, either by digging down or running to the sides. :)

I *love* this!

AlwaysGeeky wrote: Also there will be a vast cave system that is underneath the world and you will have to find and explore this, as part of the gameplay.
Kinda like digging and mining in Terraria, have you played that game?

No I haven't. But I just had a look at their wiki. It's far more complex, of course, but still reminds me of DigDug (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digdug) -- LOL

Nov 9 2012 Anchor

Have you an idea of how the multiplayer will work ?

Nov 9 2012 Anchor

Ultimoben wrote: Have you an idea of how the multiplayer will work ?

Yes I have some ideas, but multiplayer is a feature that will be added after the game is more feature complete and out of pre-alpha :)

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.