It's time for another alpha release! After almost two months since last release I had to drop out some of the stuff that I had originally planned for this release to keep my "more frequent updates" promise. Having said that, there's definitely enough improvements to justify a release.
The most visible change is crouching support. Player can now hide and take cover behind objects. A new more suitably sized container type has been added to be used as cover and some of the existing levels have been fine tuned to offer more places for hiding.
There are also quite a lot of small visual changes. Glow effect has been improved and some textures updated for more detailed glow. Explosions have received multiple sound variants and support for fragments. The latter feature has been utilized in human explosion, which now creates gibs that bounce around smudging the walls.
One less visible but very important change has been made to level handling. Levels are now automatically downloaded from server when entering a multiplayer match with level not found on client and level light maps are automatically generated if not found. This allows hosting a multiplayer game using a new level you have created without manually sending the level to other people. Currently this will never overwrite levels on client so if the level has been edited on server the connection will fail due to checksum mismatch. I will later add some sort of pop-up asking whether to overwrite existing level or not. For now you will have manually delete the level on client to connect when this happens.
Here's a list of changes since 0.3.0 alpha release:
- Added automatic download of missing level from server on client connection.
- Added crouching support for taking cover behind objects.
- Added bloody corpse entity.
- Tweaked human explosion particle effects.
- Added flying body parts with blood trails to human explosion.
- Added proper glow texture support and retextured some of the glowing objects.
- Missing level light map is now automatically generated on level load.
- Added a slight oscillation to player character stand height.
- Fixed player penetrating/floating over moving platforms (again).
- Added three variations of explosion sound.
- Added power cells to SP6 level.
- Added fuel container entity to be used as cover.
- Finally fixed the old bug that prevented fast reconnection to server.
- Fixed random crashes on client after multiplayer match restart.
Where can I get it?
I have also created a twitter feed for more frequent and informal updates on development progress: