The game you've all been waiting for. State of Decay is an open-world zombie-survival game, developed at Undead Labs and produced for Xbox 360 (via Xbox LIVE Arcade) and PC. State of Decay (formally codenamed as Class3) is a third person zombie-survival/action game developed by Undead Labs and published by Microsoft Studios. The end of the world has come, and players must explore an apocalyptic landscape while fending off hoards of zombies. The XBLA version of the game haas been released on June 5th, and a PC version will follow afterwards. The environment is an open-world that evolves over time, generating varying content depending on player actions. Players can set up a fortified safe area, form raiding parties, create supply chains, and collect resources.
This mod aims to recreate the world of the undead as envisioned by the father of zombie movies, George Romero. The Romero zombies are the classic slow shambling zombies who only want to eat your flesh. They are very persistent and the only way to kill them is by destroying the brain or causing severe damage to the head. The living dead series by George Romero is known for the atmosphere of dread, where even though zombies are slow and weak, they eventually catch up to the humans who end up going against each other due to their personal desires. Modern Fast Zombies have also been added as another choice for gamers to use. I believe that giving gamers the ability to choose how they want to experience a game is the best way to make them happy.
Game: State of Decay
Mod: George Romero Mod
Version: Test 07
Tested On: State of Decay Early Access Update 3
Date: Oct. 9, 2013
Original Thread: Forums.undeadlabs.com(Experiment)
- Optional: Deadlight, attract zombies to your location by turning your flashlight on/off!
- Optional: Slow "Classic" Romero Zombies or Fast "Modern" Zombies!
- Optional: Enable/Disable Vehicle Zombie Collision Damage.
- Optional: Increase number of outposts for some home bases up to 18.
- Improved Zombie Population (there seems to be a lot of them this time).
- Modified some animations for both Slow Romero zombies and Fast Modern zombies.
- Horde zombies are now slower.
Table of Contents:
III. Choosing How You Want to Experience State of Decay
IV. Current Features
This mod aims to recreate the world of the undead as envisioned by the father of zombie movies, George Romero. The Romero zombies are the classic slow shambling zombies who only want to eat your flesh. They are very persistent and the only way to kill them is by destroying the brain or causing severe damage to the head. The living dead series by George Romero is known for the atmosphere of dread, where even though zombies are slow and weak, they eventually catch up to the humans who end up going against each other due to their personal desires.
Modern Fast Zombies have also been added as another choice for gamers to use. I believe that giving gamers the ability to choose how they want to experience a game is the best way to make them happy.
* You must have a program called WinRAR or WinZIP to extract ZIP and RAR files. *
* As much as possible, please try to use only one mod at a time. Mods that affect the same files will overwrite each other and may cause undesirable effects. *
* It is always recommended to make a back-up of any files that any mod can replace. *
* Before using the George Romero mod, please make sure that you've finished the first introductory mission and you have saved inside the church. You can use the mod normally. *
Contents of GeorgeRomeroModSODTEST07.zip:
1. Copy GeorgeRomeroModSODTEST07.zip to your State of Decay\Game folder.
2. Right Click on GeorgeRomeroModSODTEST07.zip and choose "Extract Here".
3. You will see the following .zip files in your Game folder:
4. Now it is time for you to decide on how you want to experience State of Decay!
III. Choosing How You Want to Experience State of Decay:
Each zip file is named according to what feature it gives to the game. Let's say that you want to only have slow classic Romero type of zombies. Here's what you do:
1. Right click on 01-SlowZombies.zip.
2. Choose "Extract Here".
That's it! You don't have to worry about file structures and other things because I've done the hard work for you. All you do is pick out which options you want to have in the game and extract them, it's that simple!
You want to have a State of Decay experience where all the zombies are fast, your vehicle won't get damaged by running over zombies, and you also want to have more outposts in certain home bases. Here's what you do:
1. Right click 02-FastZombies.zip and choose "Extract Here". This will make zombies in the game fast!
2. Right click 05-DisableVehicleCollisionDamageFASTZOMBIES.zip (because you're using fast zombies) and then choose "Extract Here". You can now run over as many fast zombies as you want!
3. Right click 07-MoreOutposts18.zip and choose "Extract Here". Now some home bases can have up to 18 outposts!
4. Good job, now you can play the game!
* To disable the ability to have up to 18 outposts, simply go to State of Decay\Game\libs\class3\rts folder and then delete the file called homesitelimits.win.bmd.
* To Uninstall the George Romero Mod, simply delete these files:
IV. Current Features:
1. Slow Classic Romero Zombies and Modern Fast Zombies - you can now choose whether your game will be inhabited by slow Romero zombies or fast modern zombies!
2. Vehicles: Enable/Disable Zombie Collision Damage - if enabled, when running over zombies with a vehicle, it should not take damage. The vehicle will only take damage when you let the zombie hang on to your vehicle (because they'll keep hitting it or ripping it apart). Of course, the vehicle will also get damaged if you bump into walls, rocks, and other vehicles.
3. Increased Zombie Population - zombie population has increased. For best effect, try making a lot of noise in places without outposts, especially in towns! Firing your loud gun will really attract a lot of zombies!
4. Optional Extra Outposts - if you use the MoreOutposts18.zip file, even the warehouse homebase can have up to 18 outposts! Other home bases still require testing but I believe they also have an increased number of outposts. You won't see the extra outposts in your journal/stats book so you'll have to just keep making them.
5. Deadlight - do you want to attract lots of zombies but you've already run out of bullets and things that can make loud noises? No problem! Your flashlight has been converted into a "Deadlight"! Simply turn it on/off repeatedly and zombies will start shambling towards your location! It's fun to use to cause other survivors trouble as you hide in a safe place!
Q1: The mod is not working the way it's supposed to!
- Please make sure you are only using one mod at a time. Using multiple mods at once may cause files to overwrite each other, causing strange effects.
- The game continues to change since it's just in Early Access. This means that mods may or may not work during different versions of the game.
Q2: Some faraway zombies have strange animations!
- Although they don't happen too often, you may notice them occasionally. I'm still not sure why they do that. Hopefully later versions of the game and the George Romero mod will be able to solve this riddle.
Q3: My game crashes when using the George Romero mod!
- Make sure you are not using any other mods because using multiple mods from different people can overwrite certain files, therefore causing a crash.
- Make sure that you don't delete levels\Class3\level.pak. This level.pak file is important in that directory and the game will crash without it.
Q4: I started a new game using the George Romero mod, but I can't find any vehicles anymore!
- This seems to be a side effect of minimizing freak spawns and only happens when you start a New Game. Simply finish the introductory mission and get to the church in order to save BEFORE using the George Romero mod. This will allow vehicles in the game to spawn and get saved. You can then use the George Romero mod normally.
Q5: The MoreOutposts18 mod seem to decrease the amount of my resources!
- This is a side effect of the changes made in the file. Simply remove the homesitelimits.win.bmd file located in the State of Decay\Game\libs\class3\rts folder to return things to normal.
Thanks to atxoxx and DeeJay for finding out about the zombie population properties and giving the idea to use a hex editor for BMD files! Thanks also to the people who remembered me for my George Romero mod for Dead Island and Riptide! Thanks as well to the Undead Labs community for appreciating the George Romero mod!