We’re back with another alpha of RimWorld!
A quick recap of improvements in Alpha 5:
- Sieges added. Raiders will now sometimes besiege the colony by setting up a fortified position nearby and bombarding you until you die or come out to break the siege. Of course this also means there are now researchable and buildable mortar weapons – both explosive and incendiary.
- Escape ship added. You can now, at great cost, build a ship to escape the planet if you wish.
- Crashed ancient ship part incident added. Sometimes this bad boy will crash-land nearby and start emitting an ever-increasing psychic drone that slowly drives colonists insane. Attack it to make it stop, but beware its defenses.
- New mechanoid type added – the scyther.
- Many new sound effects from the illustrious Alistair Lindsay.
- A new gear system allows changing out of clothing. Clothing now has basic effects, like reducing damage or movement speed.
- There is now an info card you can view for most things in the game. For weapons, it shows statistics about damage, accuracy, and so on. For animals, it displays health, damage, meat amounts. Lots of other things can be inspected as well.
- A game history tracker records the history of your colony in graphs of wealth, population, and happiness, as well as recording individual important events.
- Game history is now uploaded automatically to our servers after an opt-in prompt is agreed to. This uploads your game history – the same one you see on your history graph – to us to help us balance future versions.
- More translations added (Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, others) and existing translations updated.
- Language can now be switched by clicking the flag on the main game screen.
- Lots of other small improvements.
Thanks for the ongoing support everyone!