This is a free feature-limited demo with no time limit or usage limit. It showcases the Quick Start singleplayer mode and has restricted multiplayer capabilities. To install, simply run the .exe installer and follow the instructions. Version 1.2.3 adds the ability to whisper (private chat) to other players, and lots of bug fixes and usability enhancements. Read on for the full list.
The full list of changes in v1.2.3 is available from my news blog, and is also reproduced below:
- Private chat. To send a private chat message to a player called Bob, type /msg bob Hi Bob!. Names can be abbreviated. /whisper or /tell can be used instead of /msg.
- The message log on the information bar (click the button at the top-left or press Tab) now features improved formatting and scroll buttons.
- Chat box will now stay open permanently during the multiplayer pre-game settings screen. If it’s empty when the game starts, then it closes itself automatically.
- Chat messages now have a partially-transparent black background to aid readability.
- You can now see your own ping.
- If only AIs are left in a multiplayer game (including if all human players are in disconnected state), end the game.
- Fixed: Rifts sometimes weren’t visible to remote clients.
- Fixed: Observers were being assigned starting planets on custom maps, and could attempt to send orders to the ships on those planets (without success).
- Fixed: Players in disconnected state didn’t get sent to newly-connecting observers.
- Fixed: /ban command was crashing server in presence of non-networked players.
- Fixed: /kick command could be used on oneself.
- Fixed: Removed ghostly grey “e” near End Turn button.
- Fixed: A mistyped console command showed up as chat.
- Fixed: Some bugs in internationalisation support.
- Fixed: Invalid map errors no longer crash the game.