Well folks, it's been forever since the previous update. I needed some time away from the project because playing the game just wasn't fun anymore. I had addressed almost all the feedback I got, I didn't care for the enemy-free pure modes because they were boring, and I needed time away to think it over. The question I pondered was: How can the game be fun for two seemingly-mutually-exclusive concepts: Senseless flipper mashing, and aiming for targets? It was something that had to be solved before the PC release.
In the end, I decided that if I had to choose between the two; I would choose senseless flipper mashing. But, aiming has its merits too; so this beta has the following:
- 4 flippers instead of 2 like in the mobile version
- 4-6 enemies on the screen at a time instead of 6-8 like in the mobile version
- Loops now give you enhancements
- Hazard switches now summon the mini-boss
- Pipes on the left and right now award points
- Bonus letters give you persistent multipliers until you lose your ball
- Bumpers stay near the top
- Extra balls and Atom Bombs are now earned through scoring
- More achievements based on score and earned enhancements
All in all, I'm fairly pleased with how it is now. You can choose to just go for the aliens; or if you prefer, try to hit the hazard switches and loops. Here's some updated footage:
And for you folks who -really- like flipper mashing, you can unlock the Endurance Mode by beating level 10. I did a complete makeover on it, and I think it's a blast! See for yourself!
I expect only two more beta updates after this: One to bring back the boss run fights, and the other to address other bugs that come up along the way. After that, I'm doing the release, making an occasional patch when needed, and turning my attention to my next big mobile game due out in a few months.
Until then, get your free beta copy of Hyperspace Pinball and tell me what you think! (If you already have an older version installed, you may need to reinstall it if you get any errors updating).
P.S. Don't forget to check out the official Hyperspace Pinball website that reports over a combined 20,000,000 points earned on all mobile versions! Once it's officially out on Desura, get all your friends to play and help conquer the mobile high score totals!