Hackwork is a new node-based 3D realtime strategy game in which you have to slip into the role of a hacker and control your army of viruses in a smart way in order to take over as many machines as possible. On your journey through the 'net, you have to take care of several parameters which determine the strength of the machines you want to attack and the benefit of taking them over, such as CPU Performance - controlling the recovery-speed of the opponent-node Connectivity - the number of yet invisible nodes that will be revealed when taking the node The Type of the system - Important servers have usually better security than some random desktop machines - but they are also more useful when attacking from them The Operating system - Different kinds of Viruses do different amounts of damage, depending on the target OS Bandwidth - DDOS'ing a server with a smartphone seems pretty pointless, right? --- Source code (which also includes the soundtrack!) available for every buyer! ---
Hackwork 0.1.7 was just uploaded to Desura and the Ubuntu Software Center and is currently waiting for approval (this should take about a day).
Hackwork 0.1.7 is a feature update and brings a whole bunch of changes:
- Keyboard shortcuts 1, 2, 3, 4 to select 25%, 50%, 75%, 100% of all viruses.
- AIs now try to defend their base.
- More efficient slider movement by dragging the mouse over the sliders (for selecting viruses).
- Fixed a virus visibility issue.
- Fixed issues with some Linux distributions.
- Improved node-textures.
- Randomized player starting position.
- Fixed button-flickering in tooltips on slow computers.
- Few campaign fixes and improvements.
- Created a standalone installer for Windows.
- Fixed volume setting problems on Linux.
- Sound effects are now stopped when they should be stopped (i.e. winning screen and campaign voice).
- Positional sound (stereo).
- Some eyecandy.
Also, the new demo version will include a skirmish match so testers can get a better impression of the gameplay.
Have fun hacking,