Claustrophobia: The Downward Struggle is an indie RPG roguelike, with a retro graphic style and a terrible sense of humour. The game takes place in a series of ever descending randomly generated dungeon floors, packed full of monsters to slaughter and loot to pillage. The game plays like a traditional roguelike, but with a clean UI, a slick, action orientated combat system, and a massive range of enemy types, skills, gear and room designs. With features like crafting, skill trees, characters development, and just-one-more-room style gameplay, Claustrophobia is a love letter to traditional RPG rougelikes. Create your ideal hero, build your own custom class, then set out on your quest for glory, slaughter, and anything shiny!

Forum Thread
Some thoughts about 1.1.0 (Games : Claustrophobia: The Downward Struggle : Forum : General Discussion : Some thoughts about 1.1.0) Locked
Thread Options
Apr 28 2013 Anchor

- The levels have become massively big, I would even say too big. Perhaps cutting away 30% off the current size would be fine
- Could it be that the game got quite a bit easier with the latest update? Monsters die a bit too easily at the moment and I got the feeling that they hit a tad less hard then before.
- I am now able to find those golden keys but now I miss the golden chests. In the last version it was the other way around :)
- Loot and things from the shop should perhaps be toned down a bit. Being able to get the purple and golden stuff so early feels a bit overpowered
- Is it by intention that you can craft stat potions?

Overall thoughts: The addition of hallways to the dungeon generator has added a lot to the game but the maps feel to big now. Also the game got much easier due to the combination of several gameplay factors (stat potions, epic loot, scroll of enchantment, mobs hit less)

Hope that helps a bit.

Edit 1:

- It would be nice if we could cancel walking by pressing Esc or somesuch. Sometimes you click into the wrong room and your toon is walking around half the dungeon without you being able to stop it.

Edited by: Juppstein

Apr 28 2013 Anchor

The level size is actually smaller than before! It's currently 100x100 tiles, down from 150x150, and previously even 200x200. I may reduce it more.
The reason enemies might seem easier initially is that they are no longer at least 1 level above the player by default, and will not level with the player. Instead, enemies level 1-3 are on floor 1, 4-7 are on floor 2, and etc. It may need some more rebalancing, but if enemies are dying too easily, try going down a floor. You will earn more experience that way too.
There were never meant to be as many golden chests as there were in the last version. They are meant to be very rare, as they drop rare or greater items.
Yes, you can craft every type of potion.
Cancelling movement is something that has been suggested a lot, and I totally agree, I'll get that sorted.

Thanks,
~TheIndieForge

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.