This is the trailer that we were going around and showing off to all the bigwigs at this year's GDC.
GDC- The Game Developers Conference that runs every year in beautiful San Francisco and brings together the industries elite players for important business deals and networking as well as keynote speeches and roundtables.
It was our team's first GDC, and it was wild. Possibly the most frantic and fun week we've had to date as a team, we all ended up sick and exhausted at the end of it but we consider the event to have been a smashing success.
From the moment we first arrived at the conference on Wednesday, we didn't go 10 minutes without getting called, texted or emailed about a meeting so we were literally sprinting across the convention center from building to building trying to meet up with everyone and I have the blisters on my feet to prove it! I'll briefly list some of the cool things that happened in the intense whirlwind that was our 2012 GDC trip:
- We bumped into Minh Le - the creator of Counter Strike. He actually noticed our shirts and recognized us as the guys working on Chivalry: Medieval Warfare and seemed to be geninuely looking forward to it which was awesome to see. Minh was there promoting his new game, tactical intervention which has some crazy stuff like grabbing hostages and shooting at people from cars, check out more on that project over here: Ti.ogplanet.com
- We met with the very animated Joe Kreiner from Epic Games who had a lot of useful advice for us on marketing and some unreal-specific stuff. (By the way- Epic Games is awesome to indie devs and if you aren't using the udk, you should be. Grab it here: www.UDK.com)
- We had a meeting with Nvidia, that graphics card company you might have heard about. Just think- Chivalry in 3D where the swords actually come at your face and give you a true sense of depth in the combat. We're looking into some ways to make that happen as cool as possible.
- We had dinner with Evan Lahti- Senior Editor of PC Gamer at a very nice (read as: expensive) steakhouse courtesy of Tripwire Interactive (makers of Killing Floor, Red Orchestra etc.) Couldn't thank these guys enough for the dinner and other efforts they made to help make our trip a success. Evan actually ran a story about us on PC Gamer just after GDC and we are in contact with him about future coverage as well.
- We met up with Valve about some kind of PC Distribution service thing they have, apparently the kids these days are calling it Steam. No details on this one for you yet though.
- We also managed to get a last minute meeting with Kirk Hamilton from Kotaku who sat down to talk with us about our game- turns out we made an impression on him and he wrote us up in an article that hit their main page.
- And in some very indiedb related news, we also had the opportunity to meet up with some of the guys behind the great games on this site including: Alex from Depth (Sharks vs. Divers!), Ashton Anderson and the guys from Primal Carnage (Dinosaurs on PC and Mobile!) and Alex from Contagion (Zombie: Panic Source Sequel) who all had some really cool stuff to show and talk about. Additionally we saw some gameplay of Overgrowth (Kungfu Rabbits) and Warmgun (Post-apocalyptic Western on PC and Mobile). Was great to see so much of this community represented there!
All in all it was a crazy awesome time and we are just now recovering from all that has happened. As you know there is no rest for indie game devs though as in a few short weeks we will be hitting up PAX East, this time with a playable build! If you are in the Boston area and have a thing for swords, decapitations or trying out new games then make sure you stop by and check us out at booth 485!
Here is a picture of our team at our first GDC: