Forum Thread
Unreal 4 BluePrint Game (Forums : Development Banter : Unreal 4 BluePrint Game) Locked
Thread Options
Mar 2 2016 Anchor

Hey everyone,

I'm going to make a game in unreal 4 with blueprints. The idea of the game is that its a twinstick shooter combined with a tower defence game. The enemies are trying to get to you and kill you and you must defend yourself with placing towers and shooting yourself. The enemies get tougher over time and will drop money that makes it possible for you to build towers. I already did a quick mockup:

mockup

the ring around the character is your build menu at the moment I made 4 different towers that can upgrade 2/3 times.

That's it for now! If you like it or have any feedback or tips please comment :)

I've made an asset list to make it easy for myself to check what still needs to be done, you can find it here:

Docs.google.com

This week I made the enemies and the pickups! Here is a screenshot of all the models I have at the moment:

screen

That's it for this week next week I'm going to finish the last models and start rigging / animating!

[24 march]

This week I started programming the game. Not much to show yet I'm busy with the character movement and the shooting mechanic. Also starting to play around with particles :D

[20 april]

long time no post because of other courses. Meanwhile I started actually making the game. You can move the character now and show the selectionbox where you want to place the tower, you can then place the tower and it will start shooting when an enemy comes in range. Also I made an enemy spawner that targets the player. That's it for this week.

[7 May]

So last week was Creativty week so not much progress then but I did alot this week:

• Added Score. When you kill enemies it will give you points also every second you get 1 point for surviving
  • WIP possible to change which tower you want to place. You can select which one just the spawning isnt working yet
  • Modeled the remaining assets for the game. The only thing I need to make is the hud and introscreen.

[8 May]

So I made a checklist what still needs to be done to finish the game:

• Towers needs to be in array
  • Towers need to be able to upgrade
  • Gun must be upgradeable
  • character needs an additional rotation(90degrees)
  • HUD and UI
  • Hero needs HP and must be able to die
  • Need to make multiple kind of enemies
  • Wave system of enemies
  • Towers needs to be able to die
  • Powerups needs to work (HP, repair towers)

[12 May]

Update Checklist:

• Towers need to be able to upgrade [FIXED]
  • character needs an additional rotation(90degrees)
  • HUD and UI
  • Hero needs HP and must be able to die [FIXED]
  • Wave system of enemies
  • Powerups needs to work (HP, repair towers) [HP WORKS]

[16 May]

Update Checklist:

• character needs an additional rotation(90degrees) [Found the issue still needs fix]
  • HUD and UI [FIXED] Click for HUD Screenshot Click for UI Screenshot
  • Wave system of enemies
  • Powerups needs to work (Repair Tower)

[17 May]

Update Checklist:

Added Gameover Screen

Godmode

Building phase (doesnt spawn enemies)

• character needs an additional rotation(90degrees) [Found the issue still needs fix]
  • Wave system of enemies [FIXED]
  • Towers need to cost money [FIXED]
  • Tower select screen [FIXED]

this is how the game now looks. You can change towers and only build towers if you have enough gold. You get gold that gets dropped by the enemies.

d3c68c308044859a7e57dadbd8f63ecb

[21 May]

• Towers needs to be in array [FIXED]
  • Need to make multiple kind of enemies [Made parent enemy with childs]

[6 June]

added some features to it:

• When you get hit by an enemy the controller will shake
  • Upgrading now actually costs money
  • Made some dev Tools (godmode, Add gold)
  • When you select a tower the range will light up
  • made an options and help screen
  • fixed the animations of the enemies

To do:

• Need to make multiple kind of enemies [Made parent enemy with childs]

[10 June]

• Gun must be upgradeable[FIXED]
  • character needs an additional rotation(90degrees) [STUCK]
  • Need to make multiple kind of enemies [FIXED]

[19 June]

So I finished the project! I fixed everything except for the character animations. I also added some more features. You can download the game here:

We.tl

You must have a xbox controller otherwise it wont work. I learned alot from this project and I'm already thinking of making another game!

Here are some screenshots of the game!

Shot1

Shot2

Shot3

Edited by: MrrRik

Mar 23 2016 Anchor

Hey MrrRik, LOVING those models. They have a very nice feel, I wish I had thought of this style for some of my own projects!

I would be careful with your colours in your mock up, really think the colour scheme through and how clear you and your enemies will be versus towers and background for example, etc.

Keep us updated :)

Mar 23 2016 Anchor

I really love your style, it has this lego-ish feel to it, which I adore. Do watch out with the google doc link you posted, if people wanted, they can just open it and adjust everything in there.

Keep it up !

Mar 23 2016 Anchor

i wanna see more towers!!! awesome voxel Tron mix man

Mar 24 2016 Anchor

This week I started programming the game. Not much to show yet I'm busy with the character movement and the shooting mechanic. Also starting to play around with particles :D

long time no post because of other courses. Meanwhile I started actually making the game. You can move the character now and show the selectionbox where you want to place the tower, you can then place the tower and it will start shooting when an enemy comes in range. Also I made an enemy spawner that targets the player. That's it for this week.

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.