Forum Thread
Poll: Who Do You Think Will Win The 2010 UK General Election? (19 votes)
[UK] General Election 2010 (Forums : Cosmos : [UK] General Election 2010) Locked
Thread Options 1 2
Apr 22 2010 Anchor

Well, Gordon Brown has dissolved Parliament and has set the date for a general election on the Monday 10 May 2010, As I am writing this, After Nick Clegg's Victory in winning the first round of Live TV debates. The race for votes has turned into very much a three Horse Race.

The opinion Polls state the Conservative only just hold on to their lead as the Lib Dem's try to snatch it from them, leaving Labour to some-what fall behind. But with a few weeks to go, it is anyone's game.

So, What do you think? Who will win? and do you agree with the policies the parties are proposing?

Apr 23 2010 Anchor

Yeah, I don't think the UK needs another 5 years of Labour and this is reflected in the opinion polls, So begin honest I think the lib Dems might just win it. As nobody want Labour and some people won't vote conservative as they believe we might see a repeat of the Margret Thatcher Years. So we will have to wait and see

Edited by: Curtainpole

DivineDeedStudios
DivineDeedStudios Music for Videogames
Apr 23 2010 Anchor

Call me strange, but Tory.

DivineDeedStudios
Apr 23 2010 Anchor

LordBraskaX-2 wrote:

True_Life wrote: Yeah, I don't think the UK needs another 5 years of Labour and this is reflected in the opinion polls, So begin honest I think the lib Dems might just win it. As nobody want Labour and some people won't vote conservative as they believe we might see a repeat of the Margret Thatcher Years. So we will have to wait and see

The Lib Dems would be a change. But I don't see where they can get the money to pay for tax cuts that they are promising.

Whichever path we go down there will be rises in taxes.

Apr 23 2010 Anchor

Seems to be the way with all politicians -_-

ambershee
ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 23 2010 Anchor

I'm all for the Liberal Democrats. Also, I'd be careful what you say, LordBraska - they're doing very, very well at the moment.

ambershee
Apr 23 2010 Anchor

Ukpollingreport.co.uk

They've had a sudden rise in popularity, largely down to some effective facebook campaigning. Prediction is still for a hung parliament, but it could swing before time. If you look at the most recent survey results below, a few of them now have the Lib Dems out on top.

Edited by: ambershee

Apr 23 2010 Anchor

well, i think some of the minor parties such as UKIP, Green and BNP have been ignored because of all of this hype about Nick Clegg and how we could see the Lib Dems in office for the first time in history. Although the very right-wing papers have accused Nick Clegg of being *Un-British" as his wife is Spanish, and I think is mother is Dutch and father half-Russian. [Bet the BNP are loving that]

Apr 23 2010 Anchor

I can't vote unfortunately, But i would probably go Lib Dem [Not just to piss of David Cameron]

DivineDeedStudios
Apr 23 2010 Anchor

I am voting Tory in this one, just because I was brought up in a lower-middle class Tory family, and it doesn't really matter this time, we're in the shit as it is. I like the look of UKIP however.

Apr 23 2010 Anchor

Yeah, i think they tend to buddy up seen as Labour has been in power for so long they'd do anything just to see the change, Seeing as I live in Linconlnshire which is very much Conservative territory I think that most people will be glad to see the back of Labour

Just been watching the news, i see they will be holding a third Debate and the BNP have chosen s.t. Georges day to launch their campaign saying they will put an end to Muslim immigration and pull all troops out of Iraq

Apr 23 2010 Anchor

you know what they say "war was invented to teach Americans' geography"

DivineDeedStudios
Apr 23 2010 Anchor

America is so ungreatful to us. I never quite understood it.

DivineDeedStudios
Apr 23 2010 Anchor

Exactly! Amazing. Their first president was British.

Apr 24 2010 Anchor

well, we once owned them, although we wouldn't really like to own them now

Also I see Thailand is on the verge of Civil war. That's another place that America are probably gonna invite themselves in to.

Squiggers
Squiggers I'm British, you Muppet.
Apr 24 2010 Anchor

LordBraskaX-2 wrote:

True_Life wrote: I can't vote unfortunately, But i would probably go Lib Dem [Not just to piss of David Cameron]

The Lib Dems always buddy up with labor when it comes round to it and yeah...anything but labor please. They've been in far too long and they have to admit that they have messed up in the past few years. The scare mongering about the conservatives returning Britain to the Thatcher years is exactly that. Scare mongering. I maybe don't believe that the Conservatives are the best thing for britain right now but the Liberal democrats need to gain a LOT of seats to gain full control and I just don't see it happening this time round.

Actually, they're not this time. It could go either way, but it may likely be Labour that they side with.

Thing is.. we need a hung parliament. Its the only way we'll see any proper change being made. First thing we need is changing the damn system so that its not quite so easy for Labour to cling onto power - any party would need a 10 point lead on Labour to actually oust them.

If we were using the Scottish system.. now.. that would be very interesting, as it'd be a lot more proportional. Ideally, we need the Lib Dems to cause some real change - and hopefully people won't be as stupid to continue to vote for the muppets who have destroyed this country over the last 30 years, and vote for some change. God knows we need it.

DivineDeedStudios
Apr 24 2010 Anchor

You see, a hung parliament is a bad thing in my eyes, we need a party that is majority, that the majority is happy with. Not some decision for the people that is made and influenced by politicians.

Squiggers
Apr 24 2010 Anchor

LuckyCapo wrote: You see, a hung parliament is a bad thing in my eyes, we need a party that is majority, that the majority is happy with. Not some decision for the people that is made and influenced by politicians.

That hasn't been the case for some time. Look at the last election results - the Conservatives had a majority of the vote, yet still didn't win. The way that the current system works is that whoever has the majority makes the rules. And it doesn't work. Legislation can be steamrolled through without discussion. Just like the ID Cards, the Digital Economy Bill, the Lisbon treaty.. these were all steamrolled through.

Your reasoning would work if we had a parliament that was transparent, and was represented proportionally. However, it sure as hell isn't in either case - and it won't be without a hung parliament which forces compromises. Look at the German, and Scottish governments - both are coalition governments and they're doing remarkably well and are popular with their population. Exception being Salmond as most Scots think hes a tit.

ambershee
Apr 24 2010 Anchor

True_Life wrote: Just been watching the news, i see they will be holding a third Debate and the BNP have chosen s.t. Georges day to launch their campaign saying they will put an end to Muslim immigration and pull all troops out of Iraq

Irony: St George was a Palistinian.

DivineDeedStudios
Apr 24 2010 Anchor

Squiggers wrote:

LuckyCapo wrote: You see, a hung parliament is a bad thing in my eyes, we need a party that is majority, that the majority is happy with. Not some decision for the people that is made and influenced by politicians.

That hasn't been the case for some time. Look at the last election results - the Conservatives had a majority of the vote, yet still didn't win. The way that the current system works is that whoever has the majority makes the rules. And it doesn't work. Legislation can be steamrolled through without discussion. Just like the ID Cards, the Digital Economy Bill, the Lisbon treaty.. these were all steamrolled through.

Your reasoning would work if we had a parliament that was transparent, and was represented proportionally. However, it sure as hell isn't in either case - and it won't be without a hung parliament which forces compromises. Look at the German, and Scottish governments - both are coalition governments and they're doing remarkably well and are popular with their population. Exception being Salmond as most Scots think hes a tit.

Thats what I meant, in an ideal situation, where we had that sort of parliament. Either way, we'll see huge rises in taxes.

Apr 24 2010 Anchor

ambershee wrote:

True_Life wrote: Just been watching the news, i see they will be holding a third Debate and the BNP have chosen s.t. Georges day to launch their campaign saying they will put an end to Muslim immigration and pull all troops out of Iraq

Nice, that made me chuckle :D

Squiggers
Apr 24 2010 Anchor

True_Life wrote:

ambershee wrote:

Nice, that made me chuckle :D

Indeed. Same with Jesus being somewhat of the darker persuasion, and/or Jewish. That one always slightly amuses me.

LuckyCapo wrote:

Squiggers wrote:

Thats what I meant, in an ideal situation, where we had that sort of parliament. Either way, we'll see huge rises in taxes.

Ah, fair enough. I doubt we'll have massive raises in taxes - for one, the cutting of deadwood in the public sector will cut quite a lot of expenditure, so it may be possibly unneeded.

Apr 24 2010 Anchor

Squiggers wrote: Indeed. Same with Jesus being somewhat of the darker persuasion, and/or Jewish. That one always slightly amuses me.

Yeah, thats the thing about religion, when you look at it it all tends to get a bit confusing, For example if you look in the bible you'll always find something that contradicts itself

Apr 24 2010 Anchor

Although ideally it would be a better idea if the UK was to break away from the EU in my opinion. This because we have to pay "rent" to the EU to keep our membership and to benefit other countries in the EU. So in leaving them we won't have to pay so much. Also being members of the EU, We have virtually no control over immigrants entering the country and with the recession kicking in and there being a lack of jobs and university placements for young people it is an issue we need to address [Not wishing to sound like the BNP there]

For some reason though, I really hope we don't switch to the euro, i prefer the good ol' great British pound :D

ambershee
Apr 24 2010 Anchor

You might not have to "pay rent" but I'm sure you'll thoroughly enjoy being an island nation that can no longer import from the EU without additional import taxes. In case you haven't realised, the UK has a population of well over 50 million, and cannot produce the basic food supplies to support a very significant proportion of that. Almost all of the food you eat is imported from the EU, or made from ingredients that are. Leaving the EU would result in a noticeable rise in the cost of basic foodstuffs.

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.