Forum Thread
Top 5 Indie Games (Forums : Contests & Jams : Top 5 Indie Games) Locked
Thread Options
Oct 10 2015 Anchor

So this the results that I received from my little indie extravaganza on my channel, thanks.

Also guys what are your favorite Indie Games?

Youtube.com

BrianRhineheart
BrianRhineheart Free Help
Oct 10 2015 Anchor

Good question. I foolishly vote Thimbleweed Park by Ron Gilbert. (Not out yet at time of voting: Vote Disqualified)

Oct 16 2015 Anchor

I am a big fan of "this war of mine", World of goo, the long dark, invisible inc., and limbo

INtense!
INtense! End Boss
Oct 16 2015 Anchor

We will be starting the Indie of the Year on IndieDB soon - so hopefully the players will help us answer that question.

--

Scott Reismanis
DBolical | @scottreismanis

Oct 20 2015 Anchor

Picking one might be really hard in any year of this decade. There really has been a massive explosion of well produced indie titles. The most inspiring areas are the broadening of art styles in all their guises: Traditional art style import, PBS shaders, 3d detailing. Music influences in gaming have also grown side by side with the artform expansion. In code, procedural avenues and non-deterministic elements have been refreshing.

My main disappointment has been in the Gameplay department yet cloning mechanics is the hardest of all to avoid. Personally, I think getting away from two legged humanoids as characters might be one avenue and perhaps we could fly through liquid currents and gravity wells instead of air and space where vehicles are in use.

If you are cloning, it is part of the learning curve for us all and brings back familiar themes and memories for us as players. Yet do try to curve your clones in some unique direction - just picturing a tweak can sometimes lead to a creative result.

For those rising to push creative challenge in new directions I really hope its one of you who wins IndieDB's Game Of The Year - that is one of you each year until we have tried everything.

PvK
PvK
Dec 16 2015 Anchor

Top FIVE? For more than 2015?

It seems to me that's a silly thing to ask, especially for independent games, which are so diverse.

I came here looking for where to ask what the deal is with the Top 100 contest on this site, which is missing most of the games I would vote for? And why is Tales of Maj'Eyal one of three Roguelikes listed, when it was released three years ago according to Steam? Did it just require user nominations, with no editorial assistance or culling? Oh well.

Some of my favorites:

Ancient Domains of Mystery (re-released this year, is on list)

Conquest of Elysium 4 (released this year, is NOT on list)

Ultimate Space Commando (released this year, is NOT on list)

Older games:

Dominions series (latest, Dominions 4, relased 2013)

Tigers on the Prowl series (HPS Simulations)

Not my favorite, but good, released this year, and not on contest list:

Invisible, Inc.

INtense!
INtense! End Boss
Dec 16 2015 Anchor

The players choice Top 100, has some rules - but generally speaking if the players vote it makes it, provided it has made significant updates in 2015.

I agree it is a shame CoE4 missed out, some good game selections here.

--

Scott Reismanis
DBolical | @scottreismanis

Jan 15 2016 Anchor

Sorry guys, i´m new and my english its not best, i just wanna say that i love Spiderweb´s games (still in categorie "indie"?)

And like Pvk ADOM is one of my favorites indie games, i play it since 1999 or so, GREAT game.

That´s all.

Greetings from Argentina.

(sorry if a break a topic rule or something)

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.