Forum Thread
Show me how to mask in Photoshop 7 please (Forums : Coding & Scripting : Show me how to mask in Photoshop 7 please) Locked
Thread Options
Apr 22 2003 Anchor

Ok, lots of people making HUDs etc. out there for different mods, and that's what I'm currently working on also. I've got everything all set to go, go an image all set, only problem is I can't seem to get anything to mask.

Now I've seen people make masked displays by using combiners and things, but I really would like to know how to make either a masked bmp, pcx, or tga in Photoshop. It can be done right?

If not, someone show me how to set up a shader so that I can mask my textures in UnrealEd. I've seen the UDN content, still can't get it down.

Really, I've spent days and days trying to do this, it's really slowing me down. If someone could just type step by step their total image preparation for me I would be most pleased, and I'll even give you a shout out on my website,

Fatalarts.unrealism.com

Alright. Thanks anyone who gives me any hints in all of this

Oh yeah, I'm a UT2k3 modder by the by Moddb.com

leilei
leilei The person who doesn't like anything
Apr 23 2003 Anchor

You mean "alpha"?
That can be done with TGA and PNG.

I'm not a Photoshop7 expert, I can do this in PSP5.

--

<  insert subject games here  >

Apr 23 2003 Anchor

Hmm, I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but I'm going to assume you mean to make alpha channels (black and white) to show depth to your 3d image.

If so: Flashgimp.com should give you the basic concept behind it.

Basically, outline your selection, create new layer in alpha tab, deselct, gaussan blur it a few pixels for depth. Then when it's placed as alpha layer when adding a light filter, it adds depth.

Hope this helps.'

Edit: I also found this Leveldesigner.com

- Edited By calvin On Wed 23rd, Apr 2003 @ 9:59:25pm

Apr 26 2003 Anchor

thanks, but see this is pretty much my problem, I know how to do all of these things, but they just don't amount to anything when I import my textures into the UT2k3 engine. It just won't mask any of my textures which is ridiculous because they all contain an alpha channel. Really just stumped here because it's like everyone else can do it but me for some reason. Isn't that always the way ;) . Oh well, if anyone has any other good ideas let me know.

Apr 26 2003 Anchor

you should get Adobe photoshop, its much better.

--

STILL BAD, STILL BALLIN'
User Posted Image
User Posted Image

Apr 26 2003 Anchor

WTF? Look at the title?

--

Why wont it save me?

PsychoFarmer
PsychoFarmer modDB King
Apr 26 2003 Anchor

rofl!

--

User Posted Image

Apr 27 2003 Anchor

I don't suppose you have an example of what you'd like to create? (From one of these 'other' mods you were referencing.)

- Edited By calvin On Sun 27th, Apr 2003 @ 4:53:23pm

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.