Forum Thread
Sandbox 2 Workflow (Forums : Level Design : Sandbox 2 Workflow) Locked
Thread Options
Arkanj3l
Arkanj3l Somewhat Anarchic and Demented
Dec 16 2008 Anchor

Source Engine ----> Sandbox 2 = incredibly confusing paradigm shift. Everything is so much simpler but at the same time so overwhelming.

Likewise I'd like to know what's an ideal workflow when making a Sanbox map. Like in Source a good workflow would be brush work - texturing - lighting - props - npcs.

Also I looked really hard but I can't find good level design theory articles about open levels, or levels in Sandbox. Because it's such a non-linear editor I don't know whether or not articles like Johnsto.co.uk can still apply. Also the gameplay of the mod in question is very non linear and it's a challenge I might need a little help on :p

Arxae
Arxae Resident Stepmania Freak :D
Dec 16 2008 Anchor

in sandbox its more
terrain -> texture -> statics -> roads -> trees -> entities
but from experience i can tell that that isnt allways right
when there is something wrong with the heightmap for the road you will adjust it, retexture it, ...

with open ended maps you need to keep in mind that players can see alot from the map
so you should allso focus in off gameplay ares (off gameplay as in, there is still 1 major line troughout the level, players can divert from it)
that allso means that they can bypass alot of the map so you need to think of 'chokepoints' where the player HAS to pass trough (when needed)

--

°w°

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.